Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 05:04 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

In which of those articles did marijuana directly & solely cause death? If marijuana was even a factor in those crashes (which is hard to prove, given how long it stays in your bloodstream), that still doesn't make the drug ITSELF potentially fatal. Do you understand what I'm saying? To put it more simply: You can die from heroin or OxyContin, even alcohol, while sitting on your couch at home... has anyone ever died that way from marijuana, and is there such a thing as a marijuana overdose? Unlikely, therefore it is not a deadly drug. Driving while texting can cause you to wreck too, but that doesn't mean texts are fatal.

So while it was a valid attempt, you have failed to debunk any myths.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:50 AM

50,762 posts, read 36,458,112 times
It would remain illegal to drive high, silly. Do you propose making alcohol illegal since there is way more alcohol related car accident deaths? Most adults, remember we are talking about responsible use, do not drive high. Why not ban cell phones since texting and driving causes deaths?

Old 03-21-2014, 06:20 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
When I was young, the shît was weak and its anti-establishment message strong.

When I was a grown man, the shît was strong and its anti-establishment message gone.

Now that I am old, the shît knocks you out, is politically correct, supposed to be medicine, and fixes the economy.

Yet its name describes it best.
Wacky Tobacky?

Funny how the conversations shifts from the medicinal claims to the alcohol industry. You all know you just wanna get high! btdt had LOTS of t-shirts (Freaks have more Fun was my favorite)

George Carlon: I-85 was the scene of a freak accident... 2 freaks in a pick-up crashed into 3 freaks in a van"

I outgrew it, realized I love who I am and learned to have fun while sober/straight.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:48 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Wacky Tobacky?

Funny how the conversations shifts from the medicinal claims to the alcohol industry. You all know you just wanna get high! btdt had LOTS of t-shirts (Freaks have more Fun was my favorite)

George Carlon: I-85 was the scene of a freak accident... 2 freaks in a pick-up crashed into 3 freaks in a van"

I outgrew it, realized I love who I am and learned to have fun while sober/straight.
I could honestly care less about the medicinal uses of marijuana. I used to be a frequent user, and am now a very occasional user (maybe 7 or 8 times a year). For me, the entire issue comes down to the fact that the federal government is prohibiting us from owning a plant based on myths, lies, and racism. There should not be any federal (or state) law that is designed to protect us from ourselves, ever. The entire premise of our Constitution is individual liberty, yet possession of a plant which has been used without serious ill effects for the duration of human history can cause a person to spend years in prison and lose everything they own. No matter how you approach it, this is an idiotic legal policy.

The OP goes to great lengths in his attempt to make marijuana users look like the dregs of society, when in reality many of the professionals that he works with are likely "tokers". He would have gotten along great with good old Harry Anslinger, though. Anslinger also approached the marijuana issue with massive prejudice and a whole lot of lies.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:21 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,703 times
didn't care enough to read the original post, just the title.

But as somebody who doesn't smoke weed myself, but many of my friends do, and they're state bar licensed lawyers, team leads, and business owners, it just goes to show how little the OP knows about the world....

no offense, if that's possible at this point LOL. Stereotype much?? Not everybody who smokes pot is unemployed and lives in their mom's basement.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:25 AM

452 posts, read 709,496 times
Wow...I'm a highly conservative owner of 2 businesses, work 70+ hours a week (some is volunteer work), have a small farm (very small, but still a functioning farm), have worked to purchase all my vehicles with cash (including $70k worth of motorcycles, a camper, 2 boats and a condo in Marathon)

I vote and am highly active in city charities and such. I speak and read 4 languages (I have an informal education, raised on a dirt farm, school was subjective at the time) and I teach 3 classes.

I have smoked weed danged near every day since 1980 (Deep Purple concert) and have never done another drug.

Now, how does that make me comparable to a "meth head" or a "heroin addict"?

Sounds like the OP just wanted to spout something they read, or maybe their dealer cut them out?

Grow up and learn something before you spout nonsensical "fact".

(You'd be surprised how many professionals smoke...I have a friend who's a heart surgeon that smokes every time he closes up another patient...takes the edge off so he can do another 15 hour surgery tomorrow.)

Old 03-21-2014, 09:26 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
You left out lazy

Old 03-21-2014, 11:08 AM

9 posts, read 15,395 times
I'm opposed to marijuana use and for good reason. It's not because I want to impede on other people's freedom, it's because virtually all pot users end up impeding on mine. You ever lived next to a pothead? In the same apartment complex as a pothead even if they don't live nextdoor to you? The stuff gets everywhere and stinks up everything. It's even worse than cigarettes. Just try waiting for the smell to dissipate or see how much help opening a window or turning on a fan gives. Nearly none. You want to have a newborn baby in your apartment and pot fumes coming under your door? If my freedoms are impeded upon then you don't get the right. I've heard there's non-smoke creating devices out there. If people use those I could care less, but if it's coming in my window or seeping under my door then no. To be honest cigarettes should be outlawed too. Sick of the second hand being forced upon me as if I don't have the human right to live healthy.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:42 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
This country is going to pot and one of the clear reasons is the high rate of pot users. Its use has increased a lot since the 1960's and the problems in this country have increased proportionally with its use. Most pot smokers are very insecure, short sighted and dysfunctional people in general. The hippie movement in the late 1960's greatly contributed to the increase of marijuana use in this country. There is no doubt that the liberal hippie movement(mostly "baby boomers") has contributed to the decline of America as a whole.

Many pot smokers start out smoking weed in high school and then later go on to use harder drugs, many becoming addicts. Weed was a gateway drug for them.

Pot smokers love to make excuses for their habit which costs them large sums of money. They may be self medicating themselves because of other psychological problem( many caused by the dysfunction of feminism and liberalism).

Their addiction causes them blame the "drug war" and other liberal propaganda. They think everything is "cool" when they get high because they are scared of real responsibility and reality. Pot gives them a false sense of hope and security but they are unable to see that pot is one of the reasons this country has become so dysfunctional. Is this how life is supposed to be? Pot is a perfect liberal propaganda tool.

In short most chronic pot users are no better than heroin, crack,or meth users . Most of these harder drug users started out smoking pot, it is a gateway drug for the weak.

There are some responsible pot users but most of them started using it later in life when they had matured more than a high schooler. Look at the low test scores we have and you can see that pot use has not helped anything of merit.

Stop defending this plant like it is a harmless substance and face the facts and truth in a responsible way.
Do you feel better now that you've gotten your pathetic little rant off of your chest? You are now free to go back and yell at all of that dang kids to get off of your lawn.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:45 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
When you smoke pot, your brain rots. Unless you are using it for meditation once in a great while. Like maybe three times a year. It may have some medicinal values for cancer patients to increase their appetite while undergoing chemo.

If you self medicate with pot and you think it like "really cool man" to smoke up some dope every day, you gotta problem.
You probably get real irritable when you run out. They have rehab places you can go to. Meds may help you.

So keep supporting those shady loser dealers or help yourself. You only have one life. Stop wasting it with weed.
As a highly lucid non-smoker of anything, I'd like to add that you're doing a pi$$-poor job of making your case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates