Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 09:21 AM

820 posts, read 1,011,562 times

Advertisements

This country is going to pot and one of the clear reasons is the high rate of pot users. Its use has increased a lot since the 1960's and the problems in this country have increased proportionally with its use. Most pot smokers are very insecure, short sighted and dysfunctional people in general. The hippie movement in the late 1960's greatly contributed to the increase of marijuana use in this country. There is no doubt that the liberal hippie movement(mostly "baby boomers") has contributed to the decline of America as a whole.

Many pot smokers start out smoking weed in high school and then later go on to use harder drugs, many becoming addicts. Weed was a gateway drug for them.

Pot smokers love to make excuses for their habit which costs them large sums of money. They may be self medicating themselves because of other psychological problem( many caused by the dysfunction of feminism and liberalism).

Their addiction causes them blame the "drug war" and other liberal propaganda. They think everything is "cool" when they get high because they are scared of real responsibility and reality. Pot gives them a false sense of hope and security but they are unable to see that pot is one of the reasons this country has become so dysfunctional. Is this how life is supposed to be? Pot is a perfect liberal propaganda tool.

In short most chronic pot users are no better than heroin, crack,or meth users . Most of these harder drug users started out smoking pot, it is a gateway drug for the weak.

There are some responsible pot users but most of them started using it later in life when they had matured more than a high schooler. Look at the low test scores we have and you can see that pot use has not helped anything of merit.

Stop defending this plant like it is a harmless substance and face the facts and truth in a responsible way.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:18 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,481,036 times
Some people enjoy freedom, and thus they don't like the government to pretend it is their parent. They want to drink alcohol, ride roller coasters, smoke cigarettes and other things that have no societal value, but exist purely for their recreational value.

I can tell you're not one of those people. You view the government like a good father, telling you to wear your seat belt, sit up straight and don't chew with your mouth open.

Marijuana is certainly less dangerous than alcohol and cigarettes - Or swimming pools and bathtubs, since so many people drown in those each year when simply taking a shower and avoiding the pool would have saved their lives.

But the biggest issue is that making marijuana illegal causes more harm and violence than making it legal.

Have you ever noticed that liqueur store owners never get in shootouts over turf? Or that they never have to kill the Jack Daniel's representative when he fails to deliver as promised? They don't do that because they don't have to do that. They have enforceable contracts - which people that sell drugs don't have. By legalizing drugs you reduce the violence and associated gang influence that goes along with it when it's illegal.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:31 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,634,304 times
Wow....
Now I for the most part disagree with this perspective. However, what is said is true, just not to te degree that the post implies.

What I most disagree with are these supposed problems that our country has and it is because of marijuana smokers... What are these problems? And how can anyone be sure that they are due to marijuana smokers.

I have lived in the marijuna full part of California for years and my observations are much different. Most smokers I know are the total opposite of what has been discribed. Most do not do any other drug, many own their own businesses. In one small community, when the school or community center needed something in a hurry, guess who came to the rescue...the marijuna smokers.

We have low test scores in school because of the falling of our educational standards.
Marijuana has helped children who suffer severely from seizures.
Those who smoke marijuana done typically do any other drug or drink for that matter. And they are nothing like heroin or crack users.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:41 AM

14,636 posts, read 14,505,817 times
Pretty much every stereotype stated in the OP's post is incorrect, so it makes no sense to dissect it line-by-line. While it's not the 100% harmless wonder-drug as asserted by some of its most vocal supporters, the "gateway drug" argument is a long unsubstantiated myth, and there are just as many creative, innovative, even (yes) motivated individuals who contribute to the world as weed-smokers as they do as alcohol-drinkers.
Amotivational syndrome is real, as are other psychological effects of long-term marijuana use, but the assertions which have absolutely no context or factual basis made in the original post are pretty much laughable.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:19 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,888,614 times
Related is the new fad of using vapor pens to inhale concentrated THC (not a few times X, exponentially more). The health concerns haven't been studied yet but legalizing marijuana will quickly enable commercial enterprises to ramp up production faster than anyone can effective study the health effects.

Part of the issue is the toxins that can be introduced in the process of concentration and when those are inhaled they are of course, toxic to the body.

Like many things, marijuana in the most common form might be benign but it won't stay that way. The hand wrapped job will go the way of hand wrapped cigarettes and the consequences of the vapor pens coupled with high concentrations of the active ingredients directly inhaled will produce profound side effects, none of them healthful.

While one can say that regulations and so on will deal with those issues, look how fast vapor cigarettes took off. Anyone believe that technology won't take off faster with marijuana? [MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-20-2014 at 07:30 PM..

Old 03-20-2014, 01:28 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,183,302 times
Your premise is delusional and without empirical evidence.

Many delusional, irresponsible people use pot. Many delusional, irresponsible people refrain from all drugs.
Many responsible, aware people use pot. Many responsible, aware people refrain from all drugs.

Here is an idea, let's see some real concrete evidence that not only does pot use turn otherwise responsible, aware people into Irresponsible, delusional people, and then tie this phenomenon to the decline in our society.

Then we can have an actual debate.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:42 PM

5,836 posts, read 5,224,985 times
Where to begin. It seems like someone watched the the 1937 movie Reefer Madness and believed it.

Most of the propaganda about the "harms" of marijuana are just totally FALSE. Marijuana is NOT a gateway drug. What really is the gateway drug is Ritalin. I'm sure if you ask people who are addict to heroin, prescription drugs, & the like will tell you they started off on Ritalin which was prescribed to them when they were kids.

How many deaths has been contributed to cigarette smoking? TOO MANY! How many deaths can be contributed to alcohol? TOO MANY-including my first husband! How many deaths can be contributed to marijuana use? NONE! Let me repeat that: NO DEATHS CAN BE CONTRIBUTED TO MARIJUANA USE!!!

Pot also have a lot of medicinal value. It helps people who suffer from seizures, people who are undergoing chemo, people with AIDS, people who suffer from MS, people who have chronic pain. It helps women who suffer from monthly cramps. It helps people with glaucoma. The list goes on and on.

Unlike alcohol or other drugs, smoking marijuana does not make you violent.

Also, the $$$$$$$$$$ spent on going after pot smokers could have been spent on more important things-like education, medical research, infrastructure, etc. etc.

Cat

Old 03-20-2014, 02:45 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,634,304 times
Quote:
Part of the issue is the toxins that can be introduced in the process of concentration and when those are inhaled they are of course, toxic to the body.
What exactly do you think that these toxins would be?
Do you know how (the process) marijuana is made into a concentrated form?
Do you know what part of the plant is retrieved to make a concentrate?
It seems to be that you don't.
The most common process for making a concentrate is.....wait for it.....
Water!

Old 03-20-2014, 03:40 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,926,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
This country is going to pot and one of the clear reasons is the high rate of pot users. Its use has increased a lot since the 1960's and the problems in this country have increased proportionally with its use. Most pot smokers are very insecure, short sighted and dysfunctional people in general. The hippie movement in the late 1960's greatly contributed to the increase of marijuana use in this country. There is no doubt that the liberal hippie movement(mostly "baby boomers") has contributed to the decline of America as a whole.

As a user of cannabis from time to time, I'm very secure in who I am.

Many pot smokers start out smoking weed in high school and then later go on to use harder drugs, many becoming addicts. Weed was a gateway drug for them.

Yes I smoked it from time to time in high school, but was more of a drinker. Didn't partake for many years until about 5 years ago. I like it now more than I did back then. I'm high strung, so it's nice to have something that is therapeutic and calming from time to time. It beats anti-depressants and some of the horrible side effects that they can cause.

Pot smokers love to make excuses for their habit which costs them large sums of money. They may be self medicating themselves because of other psychological problem( many caused by the dysfunction of feminism and liberalism).

I spend very little on the very little that I keep on hand.

Their addiction causes them blame the "drug war" and other liberal propaganda. They think everything is "cool" when they get high because they are scared of real responsibility and reality. Pot gives them a false sense of hope and security but they are unable to see that pot is one of the reasons this country has become so dysfunctional. Is this how life is supposed to be? Pot is a perfect liberal propaganda tool.

Ahhh yes the misconception that pro-legalization and the failed drug war is a liberal stance. Libertarians for the most part (a conservative ideology) are pro-legalization. Check your history. Cannabis was banned federally under FDRs watch... a DEMOCRAT. Furthermore, the dysfunction in this country is not from cannabis users. It stems from we the people allowing our government too much power, from further intrusion in our private lives to being in bed with the mega corporations. Let's not forget of course the entitlement mentality and materialism that everyone feels they need to keep up with the Jonese. Cannabis, and those that use it is small potatoes compared to the more pressing issues that we have in this country today.

In short most chronic pot users are no better than heroin, crack,or meth users . Most of these harder drug users started out smoking pot, it is a gateway drug for the weak.

Your comparison of cannabis to heroin, crack, and meth is quite weak. There is no comparison. Cannabis users generally tend to be non-violent, not to mention there is no proof that cannabis, unlike those other substances is physically addictive. Furthermore, can you name one person who has overdosed and died from cannabis? I can't. In fact just about every substance that I know legal or otherwise has the risk of overdose and death from overdose. Yes... even alcohol. And... gateway drug my a**! I've never once experimented with other substances, and have no desire to, so the gateway theory is just more "Reefer Madness" propaganda!

There are some responsible pot users but most of them started using it later in life when they had matured more than a high schooler. Look at the low test scores we have and you can see that pot use has not helped anything of merit.

There are a lot more than you know. Most of us are gainfully employed in all professions, own homes, have families, are involved in the lives of our children and it is no different than the person who wants to unwind at the end of the day with a glass or two of wine.

Stop defending this plant like it is a harmless substance and face the facts and truth in a responsible way.

Nothing is harmless. However; given that there are substances out there that have much worse side-effects, are highly addictive which makes for horrible withdrawl if stopped suddenly (yes that includes legal drugs as well) I like my options. Finally, it isn't your business, nor the government's business what people should be able to consume, when they're not causing harm to others in the process.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:40 PM

198 posts, read 398,462 times
I am opposed to alcohol drugs for myself, I feel sleepy too easily couldn't handle it.

I don't see how anything is different from pot the society vs alcohol. Back in the farm days every other person was an alcoholic. If anything, innocent deaths from car wrecks with alcohol involved has got to be higher.

I don't care what people choose to do to themselves. I am not going into their homes to tell them what to do. I wouldn't make it a crime to over eat either. If you are hurting no one but yourself.

Light up, or be sloshed, or carry a gun that might go off for that matter...in public, then you are treading on my space too.

Last edited by Mclaurin; 03-20-2014 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: sp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates