Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,945,953 times

Advertisements

Historically followers of the Jewish faith value two things at least; education and property/asset ownership. IIRC the Torah actually tells Jews that they must (or should) own property. This will give you some idea why many of the major real estate families in the USA are Jewish (no Donald Trump isn't but his daughter converted to marry her Jewish husband), as well as finance, healthcare, etc....

That being said not every Jewish person is rolling in dough. But they do know how to use their numbers to get what they want/need.

The Hasidic community of Kiryas Joel in upstate New York has the distinction of having the poorest population and receives the most welfare benefits in the United States.
Welfare Reform? Not For The Orthodox - The Daily Beast

Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,943,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Historically followers of the Jewish faith value two things at least; education and property/asset ownership.
That's one of the greatest ironies about the Jewish people: some of them have been among the most effective capitalists the world has ever seen, while on the other hand, the Marxist/Communist movement was disproportionately led and comprised of Jews.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
A lot are business oriented...

As a business person, getting the best deal, driving a hard bargain are part and parcel of doing business.

I was part of a conversation with a very successful Doctor and the question came up why none of his children went into medicine and he said there's no money in it.

His boys are in Real Estate and known for cost cutting to the extreme... Dad said if they can shave a nickel off a contract or bring in a new company to undercut and existing vendor it is a done deal...

Might work for them... just imagine if everyone did business this way?

One of the janitorial firms they have used since 1995 was told to take a 25% cut or loose the contract... the father had told the owner as long as the job got done and the price never went up... the job was theirs.

23 years cleaning the same offices with never a complaint or an item missing or an issue with locking up at night... and charging the same rate as in 1995... son comes in and says work for 25% less or the new company starts Monday.

The son said he has not found a contract yet that he can't squeeze and Dad says what a head his kids have for business!

Old 04-14-2014, 10:07 PM

14 posts, read 24,402 times
I notice not too many Jews are farmers or mechanical engineers or IT admins. They are literally people of the Book/word. They deal mainly in writing or trading contracts- programming is another thing they are good at. Anything with letters, and zero labor.

When it comes to building a car or a house or a server farm or having a bumper crop for the year, I wouldn't recommend a Jew. That's a different kind of talent. But I'm glad they like doing that stuff. If that's their goal in life, to trade items and write stuff on paper, then good for them.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:17 AM

684 posts, read 868,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
I figured that, like many things, it started way back when and we still see the impact/result of that socioeconomic history as it's perpetuated throughout the generations, relevant to this...

As the saying goes, correlation does not imply causation and the correlation itself I think is too broad and varied to apply to something like this.

You posted: "A Jewish average IQ of 115 is 8 points higher than the generally accepted IQ of their closest rivals—Northeast Asians—and approximately 40% higher than the global average IQ of 79.1 calculated by Richard Lynn and Tatu Vanhanen in IQ and Global Inequity"

I don't know the source of what you posted. Still, it certainly is surprising to me.

I was always intrigued by studies stating that the Jews have the highest purported IQs on average (I remembered it being specifically the Ashkenazi) if compared to the frequency of disorders common to their genetics that may result in diminished capacity and rumpumpumpum.

This thread is the first time I have heard of "Ashkenazi" Jews, which would seem to be a particular sect of people in which extraordinary intelligence was vested and can be found. I need to do some research -- or if anyone can shed light on this aspect, please do.

Like the original subject itself (a scant 2% of the population represents 35% of the most wealthy), the Ashkenazi facet also seems to have gotten little to no media coverage. Yet I would think these are both extremely newsworthy areas and I can't figure out why there is literally no coverage on these very intriguing topics.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:26 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
This thread is the first time I have heard of "Ashkenazi" Jews, which would seem to be a particular sect of people in which extraordinary intelligence was vested and can be found. I need to do some research -- or if anyone can shed light on this aspect, please do.

Like the original subject itself (a scant 2% of the population represents 35% of the most wealthy), the Ashkenazi facet also seems to have gotten little to no media coverage. Yet I would think these are both extremely newsworthy areas and I can't figure out why there is literally no coverage on these very intriguing topics.
Ashkenazi Jews are not a "sect"; they are Jews from Central and Eastern Europe. Most Jews you will meet in America are Ashkenazi Jews. My father's family was Ashkenazi - came over from Eastern Europe in the 1880's.

I didn't have a Jewish upbringing but as the saying goes, "some of my best friends are Jewish" and I can vouch for what others here have said. Deep respect for education, helping your kids rather than the bootstrap mentality, a sense of social responsibility - these are values I've seen in my Jewish friends. Also, as was mentioned somewhere in this thread, a realistic attitude towards sex and birth control. You don't want your kids ruining their future by becoming teenage parents.

I would point out that the above applies to secular, Reform and Conservative Jews and to some of the more modern Orthodox Jews. It doesn't apply so much to the Ultra-Orthodox (Hasidic) Jews who tend not to be educated, aside from Talmudic studies for the men (girls are strongly discouraged from getting an education), and generally get married very young and pump out a million babies, frequently while on the dole. There's a lot of money there but they know how to work the system. See: Kiryas Joel, as another poster here pointed out.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I wonder which ethnic groups make up the 1000 or 5000 wealthiest americans list. Why dont they do something like that? That list would tell an even better story. It is always about the jews, the jews, jews.
My bet is that you would find similar results.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:14 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,197,482 times
They run this country

Old 04-15-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I think they hold strong to tradition, which helps their focus and success. On a smaller scale, the Jews within my own family are the most successful financially out of all of us. God's chosen people are blessed.
Think faith and strong moral centers have anything to do with it? Just wondering ....

Old 04-15-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
My gentile brother married into a Jewish family on the East Coast and after several years he converted. One thing I noticed early on is they have no interest in college football. My brother was a college football player and he'd never even mentioned those years because he knew it would mean nothing. His wife's parents are not wealthy, but her brother is, extremely so. He is also very intelligent. He contributes a considerable amount to the parents each year and also to his sister.

I've thought for years that some of the animosity towards Jews is due to their propensity to have more money, which is not to say there aren't poor Jews. They simply have a different mindset. I think people who make snotty remarks about Jews are jealous.
Perhaps it can be said that Jews are everything that the ideologue free market capitalist white conservatives say we all should be?

Just tossing that out as a point of debate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates