Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 03:15 PM

552 posts, read 834,685 times

Advertisements

Maybe the stereotype of Jewish people is correct then if they make up over 1/3 of this list.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:18 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,033 times
I figured that, like many things, it started way back when and we still see the impact/result of that socioeconomic history as it's perpetuated throughout the generations, relevant to this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I think it has more to do with the fact that jewish people could not own property in the Middle Ages, and many Jews went into academia, became doctors,money lenders, or merchants. They went into the professions that they were allowed into. It just so happens, that those professions are profitable. ( except academia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
There is a strong correlation between intelligence and wealth.
As the saying goes, correlation does not imply causation and the correlation itself I think is too broad and varied to apply to something like this.

You posted: "A Jewish average IQ of 115 is 8 points higher than the generally accepted IQ of their closest rivals—Northeast Asians—and approximately 40% higher than the global average IQ of 79.1 calculated by Richard Lynn and Tatu Vanhanen in IQ and Global Inequity"

I don't know the source of what you posted. Still, it certainly is surprising to me.

I was always intrigued by studies stating that the Jews have the highest purported IQs on average (I remembered it being specifically the Ashkenazi) if compared to the frequency of disorders common to their genetics that may result in diminished capacity and rumpumpumpum.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-14-2014 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: fixed formatting error

Old 04-14-2014, 03:22 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
My gentile brother married into a Jewish family on the East Coast and after several years he converted. One thing I noticed early on is they have no interest in college football. My brother was a college football player and he'd never even mentioned those years because he knew it would mean nothing. His wife's parents are not wealthy, but her brother is, extremely so. He is also very intelligent. He contributes a considerable amount to the parents each year and also to his sister.

I've thought for years that some of the animosity towards Jews is due to their propensity to have more money, which is not to say there aren't poor Jews. They simply have a different mindset. I think people who make snotty remarks about Jews are jealous.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:17 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
I figured that, like many things, it started way back when and we still see the impact/result of that socioeconomic history as it's perpetuated throughout the generations, relevant to this...

As the saying goes, correlation does not imply causation and the correlation itself I think is too broad and varied to apply to something like this.

You posted: "A Jewish average IQ of 115 is 8 points higher than the generally accepted IQ of their closest rivals—Northeast Asians—and approximately 40% higher than the global average IQ of 79.1 calculated by Richard Lynn and Tatu Vanhanen in IQ and Global Inequity"

I don't know the source of what you posted. Still, it certainly is surprising to me.

I was always intrigued by studies stating that the Jews have the highest purported IQs on average (I remembered it being specifically the Ashkenazi) if compared to the frequency of disorders common to their genetics that may result in diminished capacity and rumpumpumpum.
Eighty percent of all Jewish people are Ashkenazi

http://harpending.humanevo.utah.edu/...kiq.webpub.pdf

http://web.mit.edu/fustflum/document...jbiosocsci.pdf

Richard Lynn - Richard Lynn and Tatu Vanhanen IQ and Global Inequality. (2006). (I own this book - I was a teacher so I found it fascinating)

The 2011 Nobel Prize and the Debate over Jewish IQ — The American Magazine

It is what it is.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:21 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Well, I'm about as Jewish as they come, and I took the kids to Disney every chance I got when they were of an age to enjoy it! Once my parents had paid for private school, Ivy league college, and professional school, there was very little money from them - but I didn't need it. It's true that there was a culture of academic achievement and musical achievement, which I've passed down to my kids. We were sent to summer camp so that we wouldn't be bored and underfoot. I remember once asking my mother why our house wasn't as nice as our cousins' houses, and she said, "We poured a fortune into you children!" And she was right, they had.

But these values are shared by other ethnic groups, too - look at the achievement of Asian immigrant children nowadays. Anyone can do it. Just kill the TV, and spend time working with your kids on academic games. Take them to the library very often. Find activities that are intellectually enriching, in addition to sports.

But it's not just wealth that's created. Jews are vastly overrepresented in the helping professions, legal aid, civil rights, gay rights, social justice organizations, anything that fulfills the moral commandment, "Justice, justice shall you pursue!"

Obviously, there are differences among families. Nothing that you say contradicted what I wrote.
You disagree about Disney. We went twice. It's fun, and they loved it as children.However, many Jewish families chose We have taken more years taking vacations with an educational spin.

Agree with more than I disagree, in regard to your post.

Summer camp is a tradition among many Jewish families. I might disagree that many Jews send their children away to Summer camp because they are "underfoot". We sacrificed for our children's personal enrichment.

A good Summer camp is expensive. I'll also second the importance of social justice and volunteerism. It is well known that white Jewish people were overly represented in the American civil rights movement.
In fact the Summer camp that we sent out children to was tons of fun, but definitely stressed the values of equality, justice, ecological concerns and peace.
Would also agree that Jews give back. Attorneys are involved in pro bono work, a friends daughters each spent time in Teach for America, and one in the Peace Corps.

I think that there has historically been less of a focus on sports in high school and in college.
This frees up time for academics and community service.

Jewish parents tend to look for what their children to well at doing, and encourage that. Rather than always thinking of return on investment.

Whatever they do, they encourage education. Four years of college is a minimum and is expected.
Most families encourage graduate or professional school too.
Teen pregnancy is strongly discouraged, and a commonsensical approach to birth control is applied.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:25 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
I think 2 factors contribute to the above statistics: 1) Jewish culture typically places a very, very large emphasis on educational achievement and 2) a history of discrimination has served as a great motivational force. My mom always said that in order for people to think you're half as good as the majority culture, you have to work twice as hard.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:25 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
So I have a Jewish friend couple, that are actually significantly older than my wife and I. Their kids are our age. After conversing over the years on the topic of education and child rearing Ive come to realize that even though they are Americans (second generation), they are moreso part of a different community. They think and act in ways that are totally un-American, and that is a compliment to them. Their kids are graduates of top Uni's, not Ivy but just under. One is in Med school and the other is on Wallstreet. Myself, I went to a "meh" State University and my wife is still half azzing a generic business degree. We DEFINITELY were brought up to view education as a means to money. However our friends brought their kids up to view education as a prized thing in itself. As mentioned before they would go on family trips to historical places like Yellowstone, Ireland, Switzerland's Castles, etc, not Disney. Also their kids didnt sit down and watch tv either, they studied hard and spent time playing with kids that ALSO studied hard. They emulated their parents who also did not sit down watching tv everyday. The father is a Doctor and loved to read. Watching their father work and study hard definitely backed up the notion that studying=success in their minds. However growing up my father always told me "Go do your homework" as he watched tv. That didnt exactly motivate me to study hard.

Anyways its a cultural thing. Jewish families do not breed, kick them out at 17, and say "Good luck, not on my dime!" Rather the opposite. I commend them and certainly am going to try to emulate their child rearing ways.
I am pretty sure there are many gentile families who value education as a prize in and of itself. There have been plenty of great gentile thinkers, scholars and so forth.

I can believe though that the jews have a higher percentage of doing this as they are a very small group. They more or less have to find a successful method and have their members emulate that more so than much larger diverse groups. If that makes any sense

Old 04-14-2014, 04:31 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Obviously, there are differences among families. Nothing that you say contradicted what I wrote.
You disagree about Disney. We went twice. It's fun, and they loved it as children.However, many Jewish families chose We have taken more years taking vacations with an educational spin.

Agree with more than I disagree, in regard to your post.

Summer camp is a tradition among many Jewish families. I might disagree that many Jews send their children away to Summer camp because they are "underfoot". We sacrificed for our children's personal enrichment.

A good Summer camp is expensive. I'll also second the importance of social justice and volunteerism. It is well known that white Jewish people were overly represented in the American civil rights movement.
In fact the Summer camp that we sent out children to was tons of fun, but definitely stressed the values of equality, justice, ecological concerns and peace.
Would also agree that Jews give back. Attorneys are involved in pro bono work, a friends daughters each spent time in Teach for America, and one in the Peace Corps.

I think that there has historically been less of a focus on sports in high school and in college.
This frees up time for academics and community service.

Jewish parents tend to look for what their children to well at doing, and encourage that. Rather than always thinking of return on investment.

Whatever they do, they encourage education. Four years of college is a minimum and is expected.
Most families encourage graduate or professional school too.
Teen pregnancy is strongly discouraged, and a commonsensical approach to birth control is applied.
Is summer camp strictly a jewish thing like a bar mitzvah? I used to go to summer school, but a camp hmmm.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:52 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times
Jews are like Asian/African immigrants with white skin (Jews of European descent, not biblical Jews). They have a background that stresses hard work, education and high achievement. However, unlike the other groups, they get an extra bump for "looking" the part. Obviously if someone is Orthodox, it makes little difference. However for those whose "Jewishness" is less apparent outside of their name, they can more easily crack the glass ceiling.

Honestly, I think Jews excel at maximizing the education and abilities they're given. Not every Jew is a genius...or even smart. However, they have a certain efficiency when going about their lives. A Jewish person that's good at math/science won't waste time in electrical engineering; they'll go into medicine and become a neurosurgeon. A Jewish person with a law degree may parlay that into a career as an agent, sports league commissioner etc. They reach their potential with greater regularity than others.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:12 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,879 times
Here is the simple unpolitically correct answer that most people won't say

Jews are really smart, and they are typically good with money/ thread.

I'm half Jewish, and I can say without any hesitation that the Jewish side of my family is vastly more intelligent than the Irish Catholic side. Every man on my dads side of the family is both educated and wealthy. It sounds like a stereotype, but we literally have 7 male Jewish attorneys between 3 generations of people. That's like 1 in 3 men on my dads side of the family, in regards to immediate family members. That's insane????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates