Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:40 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
But I'm talking about racism, where someone actually believes another human being does not feel pain and is not human.
I experienced the same today from a total stranger from ca. I'm from tx and he thinks superior without knowing my race. Today there is more demonic treatment of others for their beliefs or where they are from. It's a form of unintelligent discrimination for no intelligent legitimate reason

Old 04-30-2014, 08:17 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Or perhaps demonic possession? I just can't believe any actually normal functioning human being would actually think of other humans as animals or not human when they look like you but are a different color/race. Or why are they so obsessed with being "superior" than others? How crazy is that?
Let me ask you this... Do you think all humans are equal?

The fact of the matter is, all humans are NOT equal. Not even close. The average IQ for the entire world is around 85. So for intelligence we obviously see huge swings among humans, from the geniuses leading technological innovation to the dumbest people killing people at Walmart for a door buster sale on Black Friday.

Or how about in terms of morality? Do you think a repeat offender child molester is your equal? Do you think they deserve the same status in society that you do? What about terrorists in the middle east who hack off peoples heads and videotape it? Do you think they are on the same level as you?

Racism stems from the very real discrepancies that we see among all humans in every day life, whether it be intelligence, religion, looks, or height, etc. All racism is, is simply extrapolating those very real differences and labeling an entire group.

Racism is then a logical fault on the part of the racist, for thinking that they are better than the entire race, rather than the few that they personally know.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:42 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,772,773 times
All the talk about racism is big media hype. There always was racism because racism is natural to man as well as to animals. We all gravitate toward our own racial type and the closer we are to people with our genetic gene pool the better we feel. That is true of all races. And it is natural to reject other races that we aren't genetically related to. What the media does is to make something that is natural to human beings into something that is perceived as a mental illness. But gravitating toward your own race and hating other races are two different things. I may feel more comfortable around people that are the same race as myself but I don't hate other races and I am not repulsed by them. I can enjoy their music and conversations with them but that doesn't mean that I want to live with them. I feel no guilt of being myself and following my own feelings.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:25 PM

860 posts, read 1,110,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Let me ask you this... Do you think all humans are equal?

The fact of the matter is, all humans are NOT equal. Not even close. The average IQ for the entire world is around 85. So for intelligence we obviously see huge swings among humans, from the geniuses leading technological innovation to the dumbest people killing people at Walmart for a door buster sale on Black Friday.

Or how about in terms of morality? Do you think a repeat offender child molester is your equal? Do you think they deserve the same status in society that you do? What about terrorists in the middle east who hack off peoples heads and videotape it? Do you think they are on the same level as you?

Racism stems from the very real discrepancies that we see among all humans in every day life, whether it be intelligence, religion, looks, or height, etc. All racism is, is simply extrapolating those very real differences and labeling an entire group.

Racism is then a logical fault on the part of the racist, for thinking that they are better than the entire race, rather than the few that they personally know.
I'm not talking about child molesters or terrorists. That's not my point. I'm talking about people who hate a group of people who have not molested anyone, who have not hurt anyone. The racist just intensely hates the WHOLE race of people simply because of their race, so much so that they feel the race group is not human and does not feel pain. I'm talking about people who hate you for absolutely no reason at all, even if they don't know you and you have not hurt anyone. These people would even hate babies who certainly are innocent and have not done anything.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:29 PM

860 posts, read 1,110,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
All the talk about racism is big media hype. There always was racism because racism is natural to man as well as to animals. We all gravitate toward our own racial type and the closer we are to people with our genetic gene pool the better we feel. That is true of all races. And it is natural to reject other races that we aren't genetically related to. What the media does is to make something that is natural to human beings into something that is perceived as a mental illness. But gravitating toward your own race and hating other races are two different things. I may feel more comfortable around people that are the same race as myself but I don't hate other races and I am not repulsed by them. I can enjoy their music and conversations with them but that doesn't mean that I want to live with them. I feel no guilt of being myself and following my own feelings.
It's not natural to reject other races. Maybe you prefer your own, but if you are in power and abuse that power to keep them out of jobs because you prefer your own or don't hire them for movies and televison because you prefer your own, then it is harmful and destructive and could be thought of as racism.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:09 AM

963 posts, read 2,302,244 times
EVER since the beginning of recorded history, the idea of “them” and “us” has dominated people’s thinking. Many have convinced themselves that they are the only normal people with the right ways of doing everything. This is what scientists call ethnocentrism, the idea that one’s own people and ways are the only ones that count.

The notion of racism has been fueled and shaped throughout history by commercial objectives. By viewing Blacks as inferior, it gave justification to the highly profitable slave trade. Sadly, religion, which should have been a bulwark against such misguided thinking fed the flames of racial hatred as well:

“In the 1760s, as for many decades to come, black slavery was sanctioned by Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, Presbyterian, and Reformed churchmen and theologians,” says the book Slavery and Human Progress. “No modern church or sect had sought to discourage its members from owning or even trafficking in black slaves.”

History has largely ignored historical evidence that disproves the principles of racism: The World Book Encyclopedia (1973) noted: “Highly developed Negro kingdoms existed in various parts of Africa hundreds of years ago. . . . Between 1200 and 1600, a Negro-Arabic university flourished at Timbuktu in West Africa and became famous throughout Spain, North Africa, and the Middle East.”

Finally, we had the pseudo-sciences of the late 19th and early 20th century (such as Eugenics and Social Darwinism) that tried to give a legitimate scientific authenticity to the lies of racism. American style Eugenics and Social Darwinism was the basis for Hitler's justification for the genocide of the "inferior" Jewish race.

Racism is not natural, infants are not born with racist tendencies. It is a learned behavior. It is also one of the most difficult thinking patterns to overcome because of how deeply it is ingrained in our culture.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:13 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about child molesters or terrorists. That's not my point. I'm talking about people who hate a group of people who have not molested anyone, who have not hurt anyone. The racist just intensely hates the WHOLE race of people simply because of their race, so much so that they feel the race group is not human and does not feel pain. I'm talking about people who hate you for absolutely no reason at all, even if they don't know you and you have not hurt anyone. These people would even hate babies who certainly are innocent and have not done anything.
Find a racist, you have found someone with a severe inferiority complex. That is why they feel the need to self-assess superiority, as that superiority is unfounded.That is why it is often common to find racists in areas with below US median attainment (education, income, etc.).

Old 05-01-2014, 12:30 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Or perhaps demonic possession? I just can't believe any actually normal functioning human being would actually think of other humans as animals or not human when they look like you but are a different color/race. Or why are they so obsessed with being "superior" than others? How crazy is that?
Do I think racism is a mental illness? No
Do I think it is demonic possession? No
It's very hard for someone who hasn't been there, or someone who is not well read on history to understand. It's an opinion based on their experiences, their upbringing, etc. It's not something that is easily understood or changed.
so...Why are you obsessed with believing that someone else is wrong since you disagree with their opinion/world view? How crazy is that?

Old 05-01-2014, 02:34 AM

204 posts, read 316,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Find a racist, you have found someone with a severe inferiority complex. That is why they feel the need to self-assess superiority, as that superiority is unfounded.That is why it is often common to find racists in areas with below US median attainment (education, income, etc.).
People aren't superior than others? Sounds like utopian equality dream.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:44 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times
It's usually no more than misguided anger, a desperate attempt to boost ones own self-esteem and/or whiny emotional venting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates