Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 05:42 PM

684 posts, read 864,792 times

Advertisements

If you are referring to your Constitutional basis question and my comment that said: "if it were up to me", then my answer is that one basis for how I would rule such to be unconstitutional can clearly be found in the penumbras of the Constitution, That is, the exact same penumbras in which Supreme Court justices found the basis for their ruling in Roe v. Wade, which represents an excellent example of Stalinist tyranny exercised by America's Imperial Judiciary, a/k/a the Supreme Court.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-10-2014 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: Deleted quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

SNIP

Nonsense or do you think that wages paid to public sector workers somehow skip entering the general economy or that companies that contract with the government for goods and services are paid with monopoly money? Who programs the human machines that the private sector depends on for their wealth creation... oh right I forgot, schools most of which are public.

Government, at any level, is not America's production sector nor has it ever been. What do you think the government produces (goods and services) that would allow you to claim it to so be?

Old 05-12-2014, 10:07 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,962,580 times
I heard a funny interview on the radio the other day, not funny ha, ha, but funny because it was so pathetically stupid.

One of the advocates for overturning teacher employment protection laws basic argument was that he had never heard of nor believed that any school superintendent or principle had or would fire a teacher for purely partisan or personal reasons.

Well of course he hadn't because in the 19th century Americans came to realize that political patronage had infected every level of public employment, as a result the U.S. instituted the civil service system that protected public employees from the whims of personal and political prejudices.

So like many proposals being shopped around that demonstrate a total ignorance of where we have come from as a nation we instead rush around to advance ideas that were recognized 100 years ago as being deleterious to the public good.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:38 AM

The trial Judge issued his ruling in the case of Vergara v. California, which went against the teachers.

Quote:

"A judge said the state discriminates against poor and minority students by protecting the jobs of ineffective instructors."
"On Tuesday, a California superior-court judge ruled that the state’s teacher tenure system discriminates against kids from low-income families. Based on testimony that one to three percent of California teachers are likely “grossly ineffective”—thousands of people, who mostly teach at low-income schools—he reasoned that current tenure policies “impose a disproportionate burden on poor and minority students.” The ruling, in Vergara v. California, has the potential to overturn five state laws governing how long it takes for a teacher to earn tenure; the legal maneuvers necessary to remove a tenured teacher; and which teachers are laid off first in the event of budget cuts or school closings."
"Getting rid of these bad laws may do little to systemically raise student achievement. For high-poverty schools, hiring is at least as big of a challenge as firing, and the Vergara decision does nothing to make it easier for the most struggling schools to attract or retain the best teacher candidates."
Will California's Ruling Against Teacher Tenure Change Schools? - Dana Goldstein - The Atlantic

The Judge's ruling went as I hoped and expected. Teacher unions simply should not be protecting ineffective (bad) teachers.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:41 AM

2,866 posts, read 3,619,057 times
Should States Overturn Laws That Protect Ineffective And/Or Incompetent Teachers From Being Fired?

States should overturn laws that protect ineffective/incompetent ANYONE from being fired. Teachers not excluded.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:50 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,752,946 times
They need to get rid of tenure and, instead offer teachers one-year contracts. After a period of time, and at the discretion of the school district based on teacher performance, they can offer longer contracts (2 or 3 year).

Tenure is outdated and protects incompetence. Also, it doesn't reward good performance.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:27 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,948,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I grew in New Jersey, a state with one of the most powerful teacher's unions in the nation (at least at the time) and I attended one of the upper tier public high schools in the state.

And yet, amid the good teachers, here are some of the clowns who kept their jobs:

1) An angry old science teacher who graded lab reports by *weighing* them - the heavier the report, the higher the grade.

2) A femi-nazi English teacher who refused to give any male in her class an "A" under any conditions because "men are the enemy."

3) An eccentric loon of an English teacher who stated in public that she thought she was the reincarnation of Julius Caesar - and used that as an excuse to take the Ides of March off each year.

4) A badly obese hog of an English teacher who, when she tired of grading papers, gave them to her 9-year old daughter to grade... and she told the class this and thought she was clever since it cut down her workload?!

5) A variety of gym teachers who showed up stoned, drunk, or hung-over... or didn't show up because they were sleeping it off.

There were others, but those are the ones I had more direct interactions with... and it illustrated to me that it's high time to start firing these clowns, regardless of years of service / showing up.
A friend of mine who's part of that same union told me you could literally smoke crack in front of the kids during class and can't be fired for it...

Old 06-12-2014, 01:48 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,237,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
This is the reason why our children are doing so bad in the education arena when compared with other countries, we have teachers that can not be fired. The teacher works for the people of the state, not the teachers union, so it should be up to the people of the state as to how to best address the "bad teacher" problem.
Recently where I live we had a teacher strike, my feelings on this, I'd fire them all and hire new teachers that want to work and teach for the sake of their chosen profession. Teachers should not belong to any union, it is the people of the state who they work for, and to strike for any purpose is extortion of the peoples.
Our kids have always done bad when compared to other countries however. This belief that the U.S. was once the standard bearer for quality education is simply a myth.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:50 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,237,676 times
If you get rid of the protections of tenure than you need to vastly increase salaries for teachers. Given the amount of work teachers are required to do *more so when you consider the modern nature of social media* than you have to either ensure they have extreme job security or are amply compensated for their work. You can't have it both ways however if you want people to spend 5 years getting a degree to be a teacher.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:58 PM

45,083 posts, read 60,146,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I grew in New Jersey, a state with one of the most powerful teacher's unions in the nation (at least at the time) and I attended one of the upper tier public high schools in the state.

And yet, amid the good teachers, here are some of the clowns who kept their jobs:

1) An angry old science teacher who graded lab reports by *weighing* them - the heavier the report, the higher the grade.

2) A femi-nazi English teacher who refused to give any male in her class an "A" under any conditions because "men are the enemy."

3) An eccentric loon of an English teacher who stated in public that she thought she was the reincarnation of Julius Caesar - and used that as an excuse to take the Ides of March off each year.

4) A badly obese hog of an English teacher who, when she tired of grading papers, gave them to her 9-year old daughter to grade... and she told the class this and thought she was clever since it cut down her workload?!

5) A variety of gym teachers who showed up stoned, drunk, or hung-over... or didn't show up because they were sleeping it off.

There were others, but those are the ones I had more direct interactions with... and it illustrated to me that it's high time to start firing these clowns, regardless of years of service / showing up.

Each and every one of these could have been removed if the administrators had done their jobs. And no union, none, would have done anything more than made sure the correct procedures were followed. It's just that simple.

Did any of you complain? Or get your parents involved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates