Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:40 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,117 times

Advertisements

There is a big difference between bias and racism. Some people like familiarity, some people prefer diversity.

Racism/Sexism/etc. are an internal feelings projected externally.

If someone wants to live around similar people, it doesn't mean they hate people who are different. Classifying the OPs statement as racist is equating "let's do girl's night out" to "men are pigs." Just because a group of women want to hang together, doesn't mean they are anti-men.

My own example makes me laugh, as I really hate girls night out - I'm not particularly comfortable with other women!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 11:43 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,241,513 times
It depends on the goal of the question. As caribdoll said, "'White' is a color, not a culture". Generally (NOT always, but generally), if someone is looking for an "area with mostly or all WHITE people", that means they are seeking to exclude people of color. Usually this means that they assume people of color are of a lower class and/or are an indication that crime and drugs are in the neighborhood. This is the very definition of racism:
Quote:
racism (noun)
1. the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
2. prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
On the other hand, someone seeking a minority community usually isn't trying exclude anyone; they simply want to live in an area with more people who look/act/sound/eat like themselves. A heterosexual person willing to live in a homosexual enclave would be welcome as long as they don't try to impose their lifestyle on others. Same for someone seeking to live in a predominantly Hispanic, Asian, Jewish, etc. area. That type of searching is about inclusion as opposed to exclusion.

Swinging around to the other end of the topic, and back to my first argument above: I grew up in a fairly prejudiced family, but I and (most of) my family has matured in the last several decades. Several family members in my generation are in multi-racial relationships with multi-racial children. I work daily with immigrants or descendants of immigrants from India, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Iran, Lebanon, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, and even a Russian Jew. And yes, quite a few Caucasians and African Americans. Of all types of religious backgrounds, from Hindu to Jewish to Baptist to Catholic to Charismatic.

I know and firmly believe that race has absolutely zero bearing on a person's character, work ethic, or honesty, and I would never intentionally seek to live in a neighborhood that is exclusively my own race (Caucasian).

That being said, I am not blind to reality, and race-based culture is another story entirely. If you take a census-based GIS race/ethnicity map of most large cities you can usually pick out the high-crime areas before looking at the corresponding crime or income demographic maps. My own mid-sized city included. This isn't to point at any one race or ethnic group, because which group is indicative of poverty and crime varies by location and especially by country.

So, in my opinion, seeking to live in an exclusive area (one race only) is racist. Seeking to live in an inclusive area that happens to be dominated by a single race is not. Seeking to avoid a high-crime areas by eliminating neighborhoods dominated by a specific ethnic groups arguably meets the definition of "racism", but it also has real-world statistical merit.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:46 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,117 times
Would a 20-something be considered a bigot if she asked where all the young people live?

Would an pre-retirement individual be considered a bigot if he asked where the 55+ communities are?

Old 05-13-2014, 11:56 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I didn't know where else to put this and I am NOT trying to start a flame war or anything...this is an honest question. Please respond respectfully. Why is it that if a white person says "I'm moving to Y, please suggest an area with mostly or all WHITE people," people assume they're racist (which they almost certainly are), but when someone posts asking about apartments with "decent <insert immigrant group here> community," nobody calls them out for being racist? I say this as a Jewish woman who enjoys her diverse community.
Racism, disliking or mistreating someone because of their race, is still racism no matter the perp.
But realistically, it can carry more impact and do more damage from the group that in spite of a black president, and diminishing census numbers, still holds key power positions of influence in America. In other words, if you are an 8.00/hr mail clerk in the basement of a towering corporate hi-rise, and you hate the CEO/owners, does it really matter? Should the top dogs be offended, worried? Probably not. I am certainly not excusing racism. Just adding perspective.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:22 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,439,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Because the reason for the question is usually different.

When white people ask it, they usually want to isolate themselves from other racial or ethnic groups they dislike or distrust. When non-white people ask it, they want to avoid becoming isolated. The motives tend to be exactly the opposite.
But, how could anyone possibly know the motive of why a white person or a black person asks a question? How could anyone know a non-white wants to avoid being isolated or not isolated. Making such statements is guesswork, pure and simple guesswork. People make assumptions and so often those assumptions are totally off. It happens often, especially on internet forums. Someone presents a situation in two sentences and immediately, some readers draw conclusions as if they know the history of the person describing the incident. Sometimes it's like watching a comedy of human errors. Sometimes, human beings are predictable, sometimes, they aren't. Imo, the average person has no idea when the predictability will be valid or when it won't be.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:53 PM

27 posts, read 66,841 times
Is it racist to hate or dislike just blond people? Let's imagine some people just like dark haired white people and at the same time really dislike or feel uncomfortable around blond people. For instance, I bet latinos normally would be more comfortable around dark haired white people, a characteristic commonly seen in some Hispanic countries (blonds are a minority). For this reason, I guess the opposite can also be true. For blondes it is not necessarily racist to look for similar people. It could be just more comfortable.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:18 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
But, how could anyone possibly know the motive of why a white person or a black person asks a question? How could anyone know a non-white wants to avoid being isolated or not isolated. Making such statements is guesswork, pure and simple guesswork.
No, it isn't guesswork.

Questions get asked within a social context. They are laden with subtle cues as to their deeper meaning. Anyone who is not autistic, or strenuously trying to avoid an uncomfortable truth, can read the meaning. Almost all human communication operates this way.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:52 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,017 times
I think it may be a question that is not actually one asked by almost anyone. If someone did ask it, it might indeed be racist.

Think about it I think if I was going to move to an area and I am white I would ask if there are any Italians or some other ethnic group I feel comfortable around. Asking for "white people" is racist because you are asking for one race to be there. An immigrant asking for say a Puerto Rican area is asking for an ethnic area. I do know race vs. ethnicity can be very confusing to many people.

Also race changes due to time periods. In the late 1880's when my Sicilian relatives came here they were not considered "white" now they are.

My husband who is Hispanic has white on his birth certificate. The history of this is very interesting and I read about it in a book, but dang I cannot find the book again. It was called "Everything you wanted to know about south america but were afraid to ask" or some such. Many people are one ethnicity but of different races, for example you can have a black person from Panama or a white person from Panama, the white person may have brown skin.

I know many people are dismayed by the current trend to call anyone who feels Hispanic to self label Hispanic, but the start of that ironically was actually from the dominant Anglo culture in Texas several hundred years ago. If I could find the name of that book again you could read it yourself.

As a Jewish woman if you were going to move across the state to a new city and start a new life and you had been active in the Jewish community would you call to a contact there and say "where can I live with other whites?" No you would probably call and say "where can I live with others of my culture (Jewish)". I can tell you living in central Texas with other whites in the bible belt you would not fit in, nor possibly want to, just cause you all happen to be white.

Good question for us to understand viewpoints.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I didn't know where else to put this and I am NOT trying to start a flame war or anything...this is an honest question. Please respond respectfully.

Why is it that if a white person says "I'm moving to Y, please suggest an area with mostly or all WHITE people," people assume they're racist (which they almost certainly are), but when someone posts asking about apartments with "decent <insert immigrant group here> community," nobody calls them out for being racist?

I say this as a Jewish woman who enjoys her diverse community.
It really has to do with intent (or perceived intent).

Considering that "white" is mainstream in the US, it is fair to assume most neighborhoods are going to have "white" amenities and "white" cultural markers.

But if you are ethnic group X, looking for a neighborhood matching your ethnic group is usually a proxy for making sure you can get access to your groceries, houses or worship or other cultural markers.

For example, in the Bay Area, when I leave Oakland, I can't find makeup colors or brands for people with my skin tone. The Cover Girl Queen Latifah collection disappears, as does the Iman collection. And the darker colors disappear too. There is no makeup for me, for example in the city I work in. Those brands or lines aren't even stocked at the store.

Usually the white people looking for a white neighborhood are doing so because they have stereotypes about the other people being undesirable neighbors.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiara4life View Post
What culture is white? Last time I checked there is a motley crew of diversity within the European ancestry. And the most shocking part to some Euro descent people in USA (would be they have some African ancestry in their family line that they would ever admit to, lol.)

Last time I checked white was snow, paper, toilet seats etc..
But in the US for purposely eliminated the white ethnic groups into a big hodgepodge of "white people." We don't separate out the ethnic white people. Other than Italians and Jews who have language or religion to for a "white identity" with, everyone else is in the white bucket.

Even middle easterners and arabs are classified as white according to the census. We have made it so certain ethnic groups will always be considered "others" and other groups will always be white, and get the privileges that come with whiteness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates