Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 01:07 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

The "melting pot" is an out-dated image that's been superseded by the "stew", meaning--everyone gets to be who they are, and enjoys the respect of others. IMO this adds to the richness of the human experience. Diversity is an asset, not a liability. Businesses that have a diverse employee base are more competitive than businesses with a monocultural employee base. Besides, life would be awfully dull if everyone thought the same, dressed the same, lost their musical traditions and became monolingual, and lost their spiritual traditions and traditional world view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 01:22 PM

62,931 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The "melting pot" is an out-dated image that's been superseded by the "stew", meaning--everyone gets to be who they are, and enjoys the respect of others. IMO this adds to the richness of the human experience. Diversity is an asset, not a liability. Businesses that have a diverse employee base are more competitive than businesses with a monocultural employee base. Besides, life would be awfully dull if everyone thought the same, dressed the same, lost their musical traditions and became monolingual, and lost their spiritual traditions and traditional world view.
That's not the point though. It's about assimilation out in public to our language. No one is saying that people can't retain their native cultures or languages. I disagree that life would be dull if people residing within a country could relate to each other by common bonds, language and culture. Everyone is welcome to do whatever they want in their own homes.

If I want to experience a culture other than my own I can always travel outside my own country or go to an ethnic restaurant or ethnic "business" neighborhood here. I don't need it shoved in my face otherwise.

Those who oppose the melting pot and desire multiculterism instead are desiring balkanization of our country and usually have an agenda to dilute or do away with our own identifying culture/language.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:29 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
If you throw a ice cube into a swimming pool does the whole pool freeze? No, it's finds a medium the ice cube warms and the pool will chill ever so slightly reaching equilibrium, culture works the same way, they are pulled into each other naturally, but in America American culture is the steongest so immigrant groups Americanize more than America becomes like their home country, it's just natural.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:36 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

Those who oppose the melting pot and desire multiculterism instead are desiring balkanization of our country and usually have an agenda to dilute or do away with our own identifying culture/language.
No one is pursuing "balkanization". The US has always been multicultural, as a country of immigrants. I grew up in a community in the Bay Area that was Russian-speaking, had their own church and community events, etc. No one found anything wrong with that, that I've ever been aware of. People who seek US citizenship are required to know enough English to complete the basic tasks for living: shopping, etc. So I don't see a problem.

No one's shoving anything in your face. Why are you taking it so personally? Live and let live.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No one is pursuing "balkanization". The US has always been multicultural, as a country of immigrants. I grew up in a community in the Bay Area that was Russian-speaking, had their own church and community events, etc. No one found anything wrong with that, that I've ever been aware of. People who seek US citizenship are required to know enough English to complete the basic tasks for living: shopping, etc. So I don't see a problem.

No one's shoving anything in your face. Why are you taking it so personally? Live and let live.
No one? Um, I don't think so. There are certain ethnic groups in this country that would love to see our identifying culture diluted and theirs on even keel with ours. We aren't multi-cultural per se. We have one identifying culture with some minority cultures living among us. We are no longer a country of immigrants we are a nation of Americans now.

It's not about knowing English but speaking it as their primary language of usage in public. That's not happening anymore.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:11 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:

I have no idea what a "Wonder bread" American is. I wouldn't call our American blacks "Wonder breads" since the implication is whiteness. They speak English.
?

Black Americans are also under the same pressure to "assimilate". The joke being that the average black American is descended from some one who was brought into this country over 250 years ago, while the vast majority of white Americans descend from the various 1th century migrations.

I note that you hit on Hispanics when there are whole communities of Asians in California and in the NY/NJ area where there are entire business communities, where not only are the signs in Asian languages, but there aren't even any English translations. These people are mainly legal, and many are more educated than the average American.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Black Americans are also under the same pressure to "assimilate". The joke being that the average black American is descended from some one who was brought into this country over 250 years ago, while the vast majority of white Americans descend from the various 1th century migrations.

I note that you hit on Hispanics when there are whole communities of Asians in California and in the NY/NJ area where there are entire business communities, where not only are the signs in Asian languages, but there aren't even any English translations. These people are mainly legal, and many are more educated than the average American.
But blacks have already assimilated. They have been a part of the American fabric since its founding.

I don't have a problem with ethnic "business" communities and have stated as such. That's not what this topic is about. It's about certain ethnic groups that won't assimilate out in mainstream and yes Hispanics are very guilty of that.

Since you didn't post a link to your assertions that Asians are more educated than Americans I don't buy into it. However, education isn't what this topic is about either.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
No one? Um, I don't think so. There are certain ethnic groups in this country that would love to see our identifying culture diluted

This statement was made in the 17th century when the "foreigners" were German.
It was made again in the early/mid 19th century when they are Irish Catholics.
Again in the late 19th/early 20th century when they are Chinese, Japanese, Italians, and Eastern Europeans. And also when black Americans moved into northern cities.
Now again since the late 20th century now that the immigrants are mainly nonwhite. Now of course with the additional paranoia that the USA will no longer be a "white" nation.

Today's immigrants are not assimilating at slower rates than are earlier waves. To the contrary many enter the middle class, occupy professional positions, and buy homes AS IMMIGRANTS. in earlier waves it often wasn't until the THIRD generation (grandkids of immigrants) when this happened.

I don't know where the nativist hysteria against immigrants comes from, especially given that many who are guilty of it, are descended from people who were victims of it. As they victimize today's immigrants who have the "arrogance" to speak their foreign language in spaces where others can hear them, so too did people who spoke German, Italian, Yiddish, Polish, Gaelic and a whole host of other languages, also face this treatment.

The issue was that in those days ignorance was an accepted norm. It was OK to segregate and ill treat people because they were different. Now we know better, and indeed most American draw pride in this nation's diversity.

We look at Europeans and Japanese, who engage in this xenophobia with pity. But we still have the few who behave as if this was still the 19th century. Sad.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
But blacks have already assimilated.

Not according to lots of people. Look at how socially segregated this country remains. If black Americans are "assimilated" why is this the case?

In fact black Americans are MORE segregated from white Americans than are most immigrants, and this being true even of much of the black middle class. Many will sooner associate with some one who just got off the plane from India than some one whose ancestors were dumped off a slave ship 250 years ago.

Odd that you have a huge problem with Dominicans having fun in Central Park practicing their culture (their music and language) but you are OK with Flushing, Queens, which isn't 100% Asian, but yet has several main commercial streets with businesses where no signs in English are visible. This essential depriving those who don't speak their language from entering, and in a location where alternative businesses might not be available.

Now THAT is a complaint that I can get behind. YES you can have your sign in your language, but there MUST be an English translation, so that all can access the services offered, if they so chose.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Not according to lots of people. Look at how socially segregated this country remains. If black Americans are "assimilated" why is this the case?

In fact black Americans are MORE segregated from white Americans than are most immigrants, and this being true even of much of the black middle class. Many will sooner associate with some one who just got off the plane from India than some one whose ancestors were dumped off a slave ship 250 years ago.

Odd that you have a huge problem with Dominicans having fun in Central Park practicing their culture (their music and language) but you are OK with Flushing, Queens, which isn't 100% Asian, but yet has several main commercial streets with businesses where no signs in English are visible. This essential depriving those who don't speak their language from entering, and in a location where alternative businesses might not be available.

Now THAT is a complaint that I can get behind. YES you can have your sign in your language, but there MUST be an English translation, so that all can access the services offered, if they so chose.
Where did I mention the Dominicans in any of my posts? I am talking about black Americans whose ancestors were brought over here against their will and the several generations of their offspring that have lived here. They are fully assimilated into American culture and they speak English.

Didn't you read in my posts where I have said that I don't have a problem with ethnic "business" neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates