U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:28 AM

1,850 posts, read 2,346,448 times

Advertisements

When I say young, I mean 20y/o and younger. It seems many are lacking in basic social and educational skills development. I try to assist this demographic but it seems like instead of assisting it's more like a demolition than rebuild project.

I also find many to be mentally weak being mask by a "tough guy" persona. Could thins could caused by absent fathers? Mothers that cannot show boys how to be men?

It seems like many are behind the 8 ball and are not prepared for adult live. Does race play a role? Does lacking direction and discipline play a role?

Are young black boys at a disadvantage?

Old 05-21-2014, 10:06 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,492,358 times
Only if they come from a home where they are poorly-raised. My boys are biracial black/white and they play piano, participate in sports, and attend private school where they learn Mandarin. They've been disciplined, are well-behaved, and have many advantages that kids of any race typically don't get. The color of their skin has nothing to do with it. It's all in how we raise them, and who we allow them to associate with.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:25 AM

7,245 posts, read 5,532,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
When I say young, I mean 20y/o and younger. It seems many are lacking in basic social and educational skills development. I try to assist this demographic but it seems like instead of assisting it's more like a demolition than rebuild project.

I also find many to be mentally weak being mask by a "tough guy" persona. Could thins could caused by absent fathers? Mothers that cannot show boys how to be men?

It seems like many are behind the 8 ball and are not prepared for adult live. Does race play a role? Does lacking direction and discipline play a role?

Are young black boys at a disadvantage?
This post is spot on. Absent fathers are the reason why young black mean are so weak. That is also why they confuse bravado with courage. Also, black mothers instill in those young men (may not intentionally) that loud and obnoxious equals strong and brave. To be honest, black women are more masculine than black women. I'm not saying all, but I am saying many.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:39 AM

9,785 posts, read 7,102,126 times
I think any boy or girl regardless of colour is at a disadvantage if they do not come from a loving home with a father and a mother.
I agree that kids seem to make up for a lack of social and educational knowledge by acting tough which usually gets them in trouble when they turn to the streets for friends and acceptance which sadly usually comes from other kids that are in the same situation.

Kids need to be active in and out of school and make education a priority. Of course having a unsupportive family undermines this right from the start.

I really had hoped that with Barack Obama becoming President that it would be seen by black kids that the sky is the limit if they study hard. Sadly that doesn't seem to have happened.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:49 AM

13,007 posts, read 12,434,284 times
Poverty and peer pressure.

Spend time in a mostly white trailer park. Then spend time in a mostly black urban neighborhood. It's the same problems. But white kids can pull themselves out of it more easily because of a very subtle type of racism that leads white people (and often people of color) in power positions to make often-subconscious assumptions based on race.

A white guy I used to know grew up raised by a drug-addicted, bipolar single mother. He had along rap sheet of petty crimes and a very high IQ. He openly admitted that with the things he'd done in his life that if he was black he'd still be in jail.

Now, this dude was never going to blend in with the upper crust - he had all kinds of scars, bad teeth and cheap tattoos. And he really did look like he'd just come from razing a village. But he did get a pass as often as not because he was well-spoken and of a particular skin color. Another friend of mine was raised in similiarly devastating circumstances and is also white, but much more meticulous about his speaking grammar and his appearance. Without an extended conversation, anyone would immediately assume he came from a perfectly respectable middle-class background rather than desperate poverty and deprivation.

Yet I went to private school with many African-American classmates from middle- to upper-class backgrounds, and assumptions were always made about their backgrounds just based on their skin color. Even by other people of color. These were kids that grew up in comfortable situations and grew up to work in professional fields as adults, and it was assumed by everyone they encountered that they came from the "hood."

Old 05-21-2014, 10:55 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Yes because we are quick to stereotype them as dangerous, aggressive, undisciplined and a zillion other negative stereotypes. We also don't give them the advantage of innocence in childhood.

Black Boys Viewed as Older, Less Innocent Than Whites, Research Finds

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Black boys as young as 10 may not be viewed in the same light of childhood innocence as their white peers, but are instead more likely to be mistaken as older, be perceived as guilty and face police violence if accused of a crime, according to new research published by the American Psychological Association.
“Children in most societies are considered to be in a distinct group with characteristics such as innocence and the need for protection. Our research found that black boys can be seen as responsible for their actions at an age when white boys still benefit from the assumption that children are essentially innocent,” said author Phillip Atiba Goff, PhD, of the University of California, Los Angeles. The study was published online in APA’s Journal of Personality and Social Psychology®.
Or how about how teachers decide at an early age that black kids aren't "worth" the attention and effort?
Teachers 'expect less from black pupils than their white classmates' | Mail Online
Quote:
Black middle-class school pupils and their parents are treated as if they know less about education than their white counterparts, a new study has found.
Parents questioned for the University of London study said they felt compelled to dress extra smartly when meeting teachers and one claimed she felt it necessary to put on a white accent when attending school governor meetings.
This was a small study, and there have been many others. IT also mirrors mine (and my parents) own experiences in certain school districts as well. FYI I was in the tops in my classes at all ages.

And here is more on the differential treatment of black students.
Brown v. Board, 60 Years Later: Racial Divide for Students, Teachers | New Republic
Quote:
Researchers found that, overall, teachers' expectations and speech varied depending on the race of the student. Teachers directed the most positive behavior, like questions and encouragement, to white students.

A 2012 study from the American Sociological Association found, "Substantial scholarly evidence indicates that teachers—especially white teachers—evaluate black students' behavior and academic potential more negatively than those of white students.” The study analyzed the results from the Education Longitudinal Study, a national survey of 15,362 high school sophomores, as well as their parents and teachers. Again, the evidence showed a bias among white teachers that favored white students.
I'd consider that all a disadvantage that manifests itself in threads like these, "what's wrong with black boys," when the real question is "what's wrong with us that we can't treat black boys (and girls) like we treat other children?"

Old 05-21-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

Yet I went to private school with many African-American classmates from middle- to upper-class backgrounds, and assumptions were always made about their backgrounds just based on their skin color. Even by other people of color. These were kids that grew up in comfortable situations and grew up to work in professional fields as adults, and it was assumed by everyone they encountered that they came from the "hood."
This is my experience as well! If I had a dollar for every time someone acted surprised I went to college. Others nearly fell out of their chair when I explained I wasn't the first person to go to college, that my parents and granddad went to college.

There is a really great cartoon that sums up my feelings on the whole thing pretty well.
21 Racial Microaggressions You Hear On A Daily Basis | Michonne Micheaux

Threads like this are pretty evident of the invisible privilege that comes with being white. "Bad" black kids or parents are a failing of the entire "race." And the "exceptions" are either invisible, nonexistent, irrelevant or inconsequential.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-21-2014 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation. I put in a link to the picture, if there is another link you would prefer instead DM me

Old 05-21-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I really had hoped that with Barack Obama becoming President that it would be seen by black kids that the sky is the limit if they study hard. Sadly that doesn't seem to have happened.
Did you really think 8 years of a "black" president would erase centuries of racism and racist thoughts? And that somehow all of those teachers who told black kids they wouldn't accomplish anything would wake up and say oh maybe I was wrong?

Old 05-21-2014, 11:26 AM

11,882 posts, read 10,519,757 times
No, it all depends on how they are supported and perceived. I used to know a person who said all black people were dishonest and uneducated liars. Glad I disappeared from their sight. I know black kids in my CS class who performed immensely well. In fact, I used to ask them for help on a regular basis. In Hinduism, we learned to discriminate people by intention, not race.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:36 AM

30,402 posts, read 9,081,069 times
It's men who civilize children. Anyone who thinks that father's being absent from the home doesn't negatively influence their children has a strudel in his noodle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates