Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 03:45 PM

513 posts, read 799,130 times

Advertisements

I saw this written by Dr. Roy Benaroch. It is a parable about vaccination. My question is do you agree? Or are you against vaccinations. If you are against, please explain why.

Ron was puzzled. He had been a mechanic for many years, and had known Ms. McCarthy through two previous vehicles. But what could he say to a request like this?

Two Peds in a Pod: A vaccine parable by Dr. Benaroch

This is a must read.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-02-2014 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: Merged posts

Old 05-31-2014, 09:16 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Britain now has comeback of polio. Polio is coming from previously vaccinated population. Virus was dormant in their bodies, goes out with excretions, into the nature, then circles back to humans and attacks them.
My wife doubted this, I even brought her article on this in Scientific American. Should be easy to Google.
Anyhow. There are TONS of evidence about vaccination negative effects. Do your best educated decision.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:05 PM

48 posts, read 139,535 times
I think any parent who doesn't vaccinate their child in America should be criminally charged with negligence and attempted manslaughter.

Go look at some photos of what happens to a child when they get late-stage polio or meningitis --- then you will see why these IGNORANT parents need to do some lengthy prison time.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:22 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Some of those diseases of the past have made a comeback. I think parents have a responsibility to vaccinate their children, and should their children contract such an illness and cause an epidemic for their negligence then they should be held accountable.

Several years ago I was in the ER, and the man next to me couldn't speak English so the staff used a Spanish interpreter through a speaker. Turned out that the man had tuberculosis and I felt the panic in the physician's voice. I made my husband shut the curtain in a swift. I do not know if the man was documented or not, but he obviously brought over a threatening illness with him, and I just hoped he didn't have kids.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:33 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,793 times
"Polio is making a comeback in Britain" ukrkoz? Where exactly are these polio out breaks? There may be a few cases where Polio has been brought into the UK by immigrants, but I am assured by my sister in law, who is a doctor in a major hospital, that she has not seen one case of polio in her eleven years working there.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:07 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Britain now has comeback of polio. Polio is coming from previously vaccinated population. Virus was dormant in their bodies, goes out with excretions, into the nature, then circles back to humans and attacks them.
My wife doubted this, I even brought her article on this in Scientific American. Should be easy to Google.
Anyhow. There are TONS of evidence about vaccination negative effects. Do your best educated decision.
I can find nothing about a "comeback" of polio in Great Britain. Please provide a link.

Polio vaccine used in industrialized countries is the injection containing inactivated virus. There is no "dormant" virus available.

The risk of an adverse effect from a vaccine is extremely tiny and much lower than the risk from diseases prevented by vaccines.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:16 AM

513 posts, read 799,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
That's not what's happening. Something called Post-Polio syndrome is happening.

It is estimated that there are around 120,000 people living in the UK who survived polio when they were younger. Some of these have, or will, develop a condition called post-polio syndrome (PPS).

PPS takes decades to develop after the initial polio infection, taking an average of 30 years for symptoms to become noticeable.

Post-polio syndrome - NHS Choices

People who had it are having symptoms years later. Like chickenpox and shingles. It has nothing to do with the vaccine. It's the people who actually had the disease before the vaccine was available.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:23 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
I saw this written by Dr. Roy Benaroch. It is a parable about vaccination. My question is do you agree? Or are you against vaccinations. If you are against, please explain why.

Ron was puzzled. He had been a mechanic for many years, and had known Ms. McCarthy through two previous vehicles. But what could he say to a request like this?

Two Peds in a Pod: A vaccine parable by Dr. Benaroch

This is a must read.
That's actually a really bad analogy. Cars are designed to run on good tires, and running on a mix of good and bad tires is provably bad. Not so much with the front different than the back, but definitely one side different than the other can cause problems.

But there is nothing wrong with spacing the vaccinations out over several weeks. The only disadvantage is multiple doctor visits. If the parent is willing to pay for the visits (insurance likely won't cover it), then no harm done. Well, one more disadvantage... if the kid goes to the doctor every 2 weeks and gets a shot every time he will quickly gain an intense fear/hatred of doctors.

I'm a very firm believer in vaccinations. My kids have and will continue to get all theirs, and I will argue with anyone who insists on no vaccinations. But getting the vaccinations by a certain age is the goal; whether the kid gets 4 shots in one day or 4 shots spread out over 2 months really doesn't affect the outcome.

Using science (and more importantly, poking holes in the "science" used by the other side) is much more effective tool than bad analogies that can grow into easily-defeated straw-man arguments.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:35 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
That's actually a really bad analogy. Cars are designed to run on good tires, and running on a mix of good and bad tires is provably bad. Not so much with the front different than the back, but definitely one side different than the other can cause problems.

But there is nothing wrong with spacing the vaccinations out over several weeks. The only disadvantage is multiple doctor visits. If the parent is willing to pay for the visits (insurance likely won't cover it), then no harm done. Well, one more disadvantage... if the kid goes to the doctor every 2 weeks and gets a shot every time he will quickly gain an intense fear/hatred of doctors.

I'm a very firm believer in vaccinations. My kids have and will continue to get all theirs, and I will argue with anyone who insists on no vaccinations. But getting the vaccinations by a certain age is the goal; whether the kid gets 4 shots in one day or 4 shots spread out over 2 months really doesn't affect the outcome.

Using science (and more importantly, poking holes in the "science" used by the other side) is much more effective tool than bad analogies that can grow into easily-defeated straw-man arguments.
The problem with spacing vaccines is that the kids often end up missing some. It's a way to be a refuser without actually refusing.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:33 PM

160 posts, read 241,062 times
Why anyone would deny their child or other family member any vaccinations at all is a complete mystery to me.

Medicine and science have made great strides; the ignorance, confusion, and conspiracy-mindedness of a few shouldn't endanger public health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates