Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 04:56 AM

684 posts, read 868,442 times

Advertisements

This is a must read
Quote:
"On Monday, the two Waukesha girls were charged in Waukesha County Circuit Court as adults with attempted first-degree intentional homicide, each facing up to 65 years in prison. Their victim, another 12-year-old from Waukesha, was stabbed 19 times by either Geyser or Weier or both, according to a criminal complaint."
"Both suspects explained the stabbing to police referencing their dedication to Slender Man, the character they discovered on a website called Creepypasta Wiki, which is devoted to horror stories."
"Geyser gave Weier the knife, but Weier said she told Geyser she was too squeamish and gave it back. Weier said that once Geyser got the knife back, Geyser told Weier, "I'm not going to until you tell me to." Weier said she started walking away from Geyser and then told her, "Go ballistic, go crazy." Geyser said she would go ballistic, and Weier said, "Now."

Weier said Geyser then tackled the victim and started stabbing her. The victim was screaming. Weier said when Geyser got off the victim, the victim screamed, "I hate you. I trusted you."

Weier said the victim tried to walk toward the street but was stumbling. They didn't want anyone to see her, so Weier grabbed her arm and pulled her away from the street. The victim fell. Weier said the victim couldn't breathe, see or walk. Weier told the victim to lie down and be quiet — she would lose blood more slowly. Weier told police she gave the victim those instructions so she wouldn't draw attention to herself, and so she would die."

Charges detail Waukesha pre-teens' attempt to kill classmate
Did these two girls premeditate the crime? Yes.

Did these two girls have malice aforethought and intend to kill their victim? Yes.

Do I think these two girls should be tried as adults? No.

Why do I think this way? Because I think it's likely that these two young girls never had or lost their ability to reason.

Moreover, while I am absolutely mind blown by what these girls told law enforcement and the clear enormity of their crime, I have to wonder if the parents arranged for appropriate legal counsel after they were arrested and prior to their being questioned.

What do you think?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-03-2014 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: For clarity it is best to put the snippet from another source in quotes along with link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 07:05 AM

854 posts, read 1,481,603 times
No because they aren't adults.

If 12 year olds are considered adults in terms of the law, why not let them vote, join the army or drink beer?

It seems like they are considered adults if it works against them, but not if it is in their favor.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:01 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,183 times
I don't know exactly how I feel, but I know I don't want them in a society I live in. I saw this on the news this morning, and they feel no remorse. It sounds like psychopathic behavior, which is very hard to rehabilitate or change. What would you suggest be done to them?

Old 06-03-2014, 08:48 AM

684 posts, read 868,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I don't know exactly how I feel, but I know I don't want them in a society I live in. I saw this on the news this morning, and they feel no remorse. It sounds like psychopathic behavior, which is very hard to rehabilitate or change. What would you suggest be done to them?
I believe it is clear these two girls had become totally disassociated with reality and need real help mentally. Moreover, one of the girls asked a person who was questioning her, in a serious way, if their stabbing of the victim represented self-defense. To me, that is a thought only a fruit-caked mind would think possible.

Moreover, it sounds like after they had stabbed their victim, they took off on a walk to meet the mythical character, Slender Man, in his mansion in a forest.

I think this is far more a case for mental health professionals than it is for an adult penitentiary.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:49 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Well they're not adults, but most normal 12 year olds don't do this sort of thing. I think a long stint in juvie followed by close monitoring would be most appropriate in this case. Close attention should be paid to the psychological profiles of the killers. I don't believe 12 year olds are totally incapable of reason, at 12 I knew murder was wrong, and I knew right from wrong, yet at the same time their brains aren't QUITE as developed as an adult. It doesn't mean they acted with no malice and they didn't do it out of their own volution.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:49 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
I think they should be tried as juveniles and kept within the juvenile justice system.

However, I think custody for the next six years until they turn age 18 is appropriate. These girls have lost the right to live at home with their families through their violent actions.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:46 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
I believe it is clear these two girls had become totally disassociated with reality and need real help mentally. Moreover, one of the girls asked a person who was questioning her, in a serious way, if their stabbing of the victim represented self-defense. To me, that is a thought only a fruit-caked mind would think possible.

Moreover, it sounds like after they had stabbed their victim, they took off on a walk to meet the mythical character, Slender Man, in his mansion in a forest.

I think this is far more a case for mental health professionals than it is for an adult penitentiary.
No, the kid asked if it was illegal to stab someone in self-defense. The detective said sometimes, is that what happened here? And she said no. Of course there's something wrong w/them but I still say lock 'em up.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:28 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,519 times
It's hard to say at this point what should happen to these girls. This was just too calculated. If there is some mitigating circumstance, like a history of mental illness, then they should be dealt with in juvenile court. Or even a history or abuse or some sort of trauma might explain this kind of psychopathic behavior.

But it could also be that they're just cold blooded sociopaths, even at 12 years old. In that case, they need to be locked away from society as long as possible.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:53 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,183 times
They need to be locked up in a secure psychiatric facility for as long as necessary to cure them. If they can't be rehabilitated, they should never be released.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:02 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
If this were two male 12 year olds. Would you ask the same questions? Or would we put different standards on this case because they are girls? What if they were gang members? Or drug dealing gang members? I know that's not the case, but there's 1000's of drug dealing gang member 12 year olds out there, most of whom, if caught in a case of murder such as this, WOULD be tried as adults...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates