Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 10:26 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,149 times

Advertisements

Yes - society has become weak, demanding, pussified, etc. It all started with Lyndon Johnson's Great Society where the liberals pushed the agenda of everyone being equal and a winner. We are all supposed to be touchy-feeley and when people fail because they are stupid, unmotivated, etc, somehow, due to affirmative action and the such, we are supposed to grant them the same access to jobs and universities. I think it is degrading to individuals and particularly minorities as it assumes they are too stupid to be successful of their own merit.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:07 PM

149 posts, read 232,055 times
The way I see it is, people are always 'too sensitive' until someone says something that offends you.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:25 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
We've lost the concept of putting the needs of the whole ahead of the needs of the individual. It's egoism and self-centeredness more than sensitivity, I think.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:25 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,423,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
That is basically 100% true. It's interesting that so many people want to just be rude & insensitive. Why? Why would you want to deliberately be a jerk? You know what is considered hurtful & what isn't, yet people still say the hurtful things & then turn around with wide eyes saying What? What's the problem? Oh stop being so sensitive. Knowing full well what they're doing.
That is EXACTLY what is happening in this thread. This thread is an excuse for people to say all the racist, sexist things they can't usually get away with saying and then act all "what? it's just a debate. Don't be so sensitive."

Old 06-07-2014, 02:57 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,191,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
That is EXACTLY what is happening in this thread. This thread is an excuse for people to say all the racist, sexist things they can't usually get away with saying and then act all "what? it's just a debate. Don't be so sensitive."
I have observed a little of that too, but to be fair there was just some legitimate disagreement, too. I won't paint all posters with that brush, because there were also some intelligent comments. There were also some that were definitely as you describe. In any event, I dare not be offended (for fear of being attacked as sensitive...LOL), just am a little less critical of the thread.

I do agree with you that people have the right to disagree with racist, sexist and homophobic comments. Doing that does not necessarily make them PC or too sensitive IMO and I would guess you agree from your post.

Ultimately, all are entitled to their views and I went into this thread not expecting everyone to agree, anyways.

Last edited by chessgeek; 06-07-2014 at 03:12 PM..

Old 06-07-2014, 03:25 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times
I usually don't comment on this forum but I do think people are too sensitive these days. While I don't agree with bullying or general meanness, I think there are some people who are overly sensitive and we sometimes walk on eggshells trying not to offend people. Sadly, like so many things in this country, people cannot seem to find a middle ground on this.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:14 PM

336 posts, read 589,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
I think this happens all over the internet and all over the world, possibly.

When you're at work and someone's rude, and you complain, they're like "don't be so sensitive" because they want to get away with it. Even if someone's joking or being sarcastic, if it bothers you, it bothers you.

In social situations, if someone's trying to be funny but it comes off as offensive, they're like "learn to take a joke" but why should we learn what they meant if they can't communicate that to us clearly?

I fee like that's happening a lot more these days. In the past, I think people were clear about what they meant and clarified if they thought it might come off as offensive and/or inappropriate for the situation.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:43 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronsolini
Have we as a society become too sensitive?
Yes we are sick of what the world has become.... A PIECE OF CRAP!!!!! (We know how good things used to be)

Old 06-07-2014, 06:39 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,423,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
I think this happens all over the internet and all over the world, possibly.

When you're at work and someone's rude, and you complain, they're like "don't be so sensitive" because they want to get away with it. Even if someone's joking or being sarcastic, if it bothers you, it bothers you.

In social situations, if someone's trying to be funny but it comes off as offensive, they're like "learn to take a joke" but why should we learn what they meant if they can't communicate that to us clearly?

I fee like that's happening a lot more these days. In the past, I think people were clear about what they meant and clarified if they thought it might come off as offensive and/or inappropriate for the situation.
I think that we are more aware that oppression based on sex and race is wrong and we generally reject it now, so yes the above scenario of social correction is going to happen a lot more, because people will/can speak up about those issues whereas in the past they may have been afraid to.

I don't see how that is a bad thing or how it makes the world more "sensitive."

Yes, I see the irony of a bunch of people being so sensitive to being corrected in such a way complaining about everyone else being "too sensitive."

Old 06-07-2014, 07:38 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,671,947 times
This is not something that can be adequately quantified by proffering opinions. To state that any emotional response can be "too" anything is simply asking for a personal view of the issue and not a debate as to it's validity. That said however, I'll throw in with the view that a lot of people seem to be bothered by the notion that a societal restraint in modern discourse is basically unfair to those who want to be wholly unrestrained in conversation, and in much of their other dealings with people.

Restraint then becomes the issue, whether we should or shouldn't. Over the years the US social norms have been subject to a form of sophistication brought about by an ever greater educated populace, but, that in no way can be construed as something that has found it's consensus among all. Younger people are more content with this fact of restraint being wider spread as time goes on, it's the old guard that hangs on to those bygone aspects of Americana that we used to think was equated with our "rights", man's rights are usually created from a mass consensus becoming law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.