Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 08:26 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This explains a lot. Some of the most grateful Americans are the ones who moved here from other regions of the world.

Good post.
You can say that again Kat !!!

Been there, done that !

I was raised in Europe, worked in Europe many years after I came to the USA,
since I can speak most of the major languages spoken there
and apparently can do the job better than the locals ...
I am done working for a living now !
Would I visit Europe again ... yes !
Would I live and work there again, NO !

The USA is now my home and where I want the rest of my life to occur !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 09:04 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,103 times
Would never want to live in Europe. Nice to visit but the US will always be the better place to live.

The country is vast, has just about every type of climate, all types of people, and various types of land features and cities. The country as a whole is not massively overcrowded so there is still open space for those who desire that too.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:26 PM

558 posts, read 1,120,573 times
I do sort of envy Europeans, they seem more laid back and less "trashy."

Old 07-13-2014, 05:09 PM

418 posts, read 559,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
I do sort of envy Europeans, they seem more laid back and less "trashy."

what do you define as "laid back" cause I'm curious.

As far as "trashy" I guess to some degree it's less in the EU, but it's quickly changing. The obesity issue has come across the pond in full force and a lot of the less desirable aspects of the USA.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:48 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinUSA View Post
what do you define as "laid back" cause I'm curious.

As far as "trashy" I guess to some degree it's less in the EU, but it's quickly changing. The obesity issue has come across the pond in full force and a lot of the less desirable aspects of the USA.
This.
Although I find obesity more of a Northern European issue - youngsters in the Med countries still seem more health conscious and active than those I encounter on my visits to the UK and Ireland.
And our chavs are definitely Europe's answer to trailer trash.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:43 AM

The biggest contrast between the USA and Europe, as remarked upon by my American friends who visit that continent, is the variety and differences between the different countries,languages,architecture,cuisine,culture etc.

Sadly much of the US is now strip malls, chain restaurants and homogenization.Everything looks and feels the same.

Whole towns have died a death with stores and restaurants closing down,replaced by Walmarts and Uncle Sams wherever you go.

And EVERYONE seems to be in bed by 10pm !

I was just back from visiting friends in Greece and whole families were just going out to eat at 10pm.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:36 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
A number of posts that focused on racism have been moved to a separate thread.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/great...han-other.html

Old 07-19-2014, 04:21 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
The biggest contrast between the USA and Europe, as remarked upon by my American friends who visit that continent, is the variety and differences between the different countries,languages,architecture,cuisine,culture etc.

Sadly much of the US is now strip malls, chain restaurants and homogenization.Everything looks and feels the same.
You obviously haven't seen Swedish strip malls. Talk about generalization. Oh, and Mc Donalds, like there is no tomorrow.

Quote:
And EVERYONE seems to be in bed by 10pm !
We do work more than Europeans, and most people I know never go to bed before 10, babies notwithstanding.

Quote:
I was just back from visiting friends in Greece and whole families were just going out to eat at 10pm.
Greece is one of the poorest countries in EU, and AFAIK 2nd highest paid pensioners in EU, which includes Germany, Sweden, Belgium, France, UK, etc. Why do you think there are Greek riots?

Old 07-20-2014, 03:09 AM

I don't know why but I was reminded of this thread when I came across this today.
Seen in County Kerry,Ireland this week.

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/u...014/07/124.jpg

Old 07-20-2014, 10:01 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I will say this. Europe is incredibly racist. Most Americans are clueless about this. At soccer games, fans are allowed to chant racist remarks and throw bananas at Black players and it's tolerated over there. Imagine going to an NFL game and one section held a Nazi flag and chanted racist comments; that would be unheard of here and would make the headlines for months. In Europe, it's common at soccer games and it's considered okay there. They have open neo nazi political groups in places like Greece. People think there is racism in the U.S. You haven't seen anything until you go to Europe. Racism in Spain, parts of Germany, and Eastern Europe is prominent. People who say Europe isn't racist are white Americans who have no clue. Ask Black Americans who spend a considerable amount of time in Europe how racist it is.
As usual an ensemble of commonplaces and stereotypes (but then it's always Eurotrash generalizing about the US).
Racist remarks and chants are a rarity which is severely sanctioned and it would be like saying that all NBA managers are racist because of that old idiot with the 20 year old well-paid girlfriend.
It's no way tolerated.
Yes, there's a Neo-Nazi (or better extreme right) party in Greece (by the way, in the US there still are KKK and Nazi Party) but it's far weaker than Tzirisa which is a left party.
Sure, there's racism and it's prominent in some sectors: notoriously the poorest part of it.
Yet, I am sure that if I went to the poorest neighbourhoods of Detroit/Chicago/Boston/random city, I would see racism.
And one thing all of you seem to forget is this: Europe is more or less 1/5 of the US in terms of size but we have almost the double of populace on a much smaller part.
And remember this: Europe is infinitely more ancient than America, we have much more rivalries, histories and memories than any US State will ever have.
And we have much more immigration than you think, on a much smaller continent and with much more ethnic rivalries.
Yet, to give you an example, I never heard of "ghetto gangs" in Italy or of Sikhs shot because "they looked like Arabs", so think before accusing 600 million Europeans of racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates