Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 07:26 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

It's our culture. Personal responsibility is a thing of the past. Now, we have to blame everything but the real cause. It's never our fault any longer. Blame your genetics, fast food and the restaurant industry, your parents abuse toward you when you were young....you name it.

It's truly cultural. People don't want to discipline themselves and deal with discomfort. They want everything to be easy and don't want to do it if it's not easy. The reality is this. It's not easy to be healthy. You have to sacrifice eating your favorite foods to a large degree if you want to be thin and healthy. You can indulge on the weekend but people don't want to give that up. Also, people don't want to exercise and will blame time and other factors. Put some shoes on and run outside.

Everyone wants a gimic. They want to be told "Ah, it's your thyroid and if you take this medicine, all will be fixed" Rather than be told "You are lazy and undisciplined. Your diet sucks and you don't exercise enough"

Old 07-05-2014, 08:07 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's our culture. Personal responsibility is a thing of the past. Now, we have to blame everything but the real cause. It's never our fault any longer. Blame your genetics, fast food and the restaurant industry, your parents abuse toward you when you were young....you name it.

It's truly cultural. People don't want to discipline themselves and deal with discomfort. They want everything to be easy and don't want to do it if it's not easy. The reality is this. It's not easy to be healthy. You have to sacrifice eating your favorite foods to a large degree if you want to be thin and healthy. You can indulge on the weekend but people don't want to give that up. Also, people don't want to exercise and will blame time and other factors. Put some shoes on and run outside.

Everyone wants a gimic. They want to be told "Ah, it's your thyroid and if you take this medicine, all will be fixed" Rather than be told "You are lazy and undisciplined. Your diet sucks and you don't exercise enough"
Why should people have to live a life they consider uncomfortable to look a certain way? To a certain extent, life should be enjoyable. Who wants to live miserable?

I said in another post that yes I can lose weight if I stick to about a 1200 calorie a day diet and never deviate but I don't want to live that way. I'd rather shop in the plus size department. Why am I required to live with the constant discomfort of being hungry and tired all the time and never being able to have my favorite foods so I'm acceptable to you? Who are you that you get to tell me this is required of me?

I can tell you what the issue is. Losing weight is harder for some than others and people draw a line where they decide it's just not worth it. They have that right. I know why losing weight is hard for me and it's because I'm hypothoroid and they cannot get my TSH below 3.0. I will always struggle losing weight but gain easily. That's my lot in life. Yes, I can starve myself forever and lose some weight but why is it anything to you that I do/don't do that.

You may find this surprising but YOU don't get to tell me what I must endure. I decide that. Sorry but I'm much more comfortable at 2000 calories a day. I don't lose weight at that level but I can live that way without feeling like I'm hungry all the time and I can have things I like now and again. I prefer my life to be somewhat enjoyable in the food department. Why is that an issue with you?

Here's what happens to me:
>2200 calories - gain weight don't feel any more energetic.
1800-2200 calories - neither gain or lose, sleep normally and feel ok.
1500 calories - feel tired, get frequent headaches, sleep a lot - don't lose
1200 calories - feel tired, have a constant headache, sleep a lot and feel hungry all the time - lose about 1/2 pound a week which I gain back QUICKLY once I stop dieting.

In my younger days, I had to eat more than 3000 calories in a day to gain weight and all I had to do to lose was stop eating after 7:00 PM. If I had a normal metabolism maybe I wouldn't find dieting to lose weight so bad but I don't and I do. I don't want to be hungry and tired all the time. I don't want headaches all the time. I don't want to live my life that way. Why do you think you get to tell me I should?

Just because something can be done does not make it reasonable to expect someone to do it.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 07-05-2014 at 08:22 AM..

Old 07-05-2014, 08:44 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Why should people have to live a life they consider uncomfortable to look a certain way? To a certain extent, life should be enjoyable. Who wants to live miserable?

I said in another post that yes I can lose weight if I stick to about a 1200 calorie a day diet and never deviate but I don't want to live that way. I'd rather shop in the plus size department. Why am I required to live with the constant discomfort of being hungry and tired all the time and never being able to have my favorite foods so I'm acceptable to you? Who are you that you get to tell me this is required of me?

I can tell you what the issue is. Losing weight is harder for some than others and people draw a line where they decide it's just not worth it. They have that right. I know why losing weight is hard for me and it's because I'm hypothoroid and they cannot get my TSH below 3.0. I will always struggle losing weight but gain easily. That's my lot in life. Yes, I can starve myself forever and lose some weight but why is it anything to you that I do/don't do that.

You may find this surprising but YOU don't get to tell me what I must endure. I decide that. Sorry but I'm much more comfortable at 2000 calories a day. I don't lose weight at that level but I can live that way without feeling like I'm hungry all the time and I can have things I like now and again. I prefer my life to be somewhat enjoyable in the food department. Why is that an issue with you?

1200 calories - feel tired, have a constant headache, sleep a lot and feel hungry all the time - lose about 1/2 pound a week which I gain back QUICKLY once I stop dieting.

In my younger days, I had to eat more than 3000 calories in a day to gain weight and all I had to do to lose was stop eating after 7:00 PM. If I had a normal metabolism maybe I wouldn't find dieting to lose weight so bad but I don't and I do. I don't want to be hungry and tired all the time. I don't want headaches all the time. I don't want to live my life that way. Why do you think you get to tell me I should?

Just because something can be done does not make it reasonable to expect someone to do it.
Great post. I have hypothyroidism plus a weird disease called Reidel's Thyroiditis in which my thyroid tissues turned into cement and started closing off my trachea. When I talked you could hear me gasping for air. First treatment was prednisone. Gained 30 pounds in a couple of months, but breathing was my priority. Call me crazy.

Now the dosage is reduced and I'm on the next drug for longer-term treatment and I have to get the weight off. I will, but it will be slow. I'm not going to be able to work 10-12 hour days and do my job in a constant state of hunger so that I lose weight quickly. I just cannot function like that. I will stay away from sugar as much as possible, along with flour/bread and i'll eat salad every day. And I'll walk. And maybe after a year, 25 pounds will come off. But I am NOT going to walk around constantly hungry. It defeats the goal and puts me in danger of saying to hell with it.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:01 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
You're being insensitive.
People don't like to face the truth, and that is most fat people are fat because they eat too much. Some on here say what business is it of other people? Well, in England we have a NHS. More and more money is being spent on treating folk's with self induced illnesses from being overweight. This costs all of us money from our taxes.

It is a growing problem here, and it needs tackling. I am 20lbs overweight....... you know why? Because I eat, and drink too much that's why. Dieting is difficult, I know. But, I keep my weight within reasonable boundries. As I said, I am 20lbs heavier than I was 30 years ago when I was a young man. I manage to avoid putting any more weight on.

Some just seem to shrug their shoulders, and carry on getting heavier. We have to face this issue head on, and not worry about hurting folk's feelings. Most people who are fat have no one to blame, but themselves.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:17 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Because most won't admit they don't know what moderation is!

Also, why do all fat people have no problem wearing two piece bathing suits on a public beach, and then complain about women being photoshopped in a magazine?
(Obviously they don't really have body image issues if they expose all their layers so nonchalantly in public!)

Double Standard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
In this day and age, it seems like every fat person makes excuses for their weight and claim they don't eat a lot. Obesity is glamorized these days and I don't understand why. I'm not saying we should make fun of fat people, but accepting that it's okay and healthy to be overweight is not okay.

Why does every fat person claim they have a thyroid issue or can't lose weight no matter what they do? Not everyone can be stick thin, but being obese is not natural. I think a very small percentage of people are fat because of a thyroid problem or other medical condition. Most of them are fat because they just eat too much.

And overweight people are so defensive when someone tries to tell them that they are not healthy. Just look at the comments in this article, http://www.buzzfeed.com/krystieyando...-is-redefining.

Very few people were fat 100 years ago, so I refuse to believe that suddenly we have all these thyroid issues that are making us fat. Do you agree or do you think I'm being too insensitive?

Old 07-05-2014, 12:22 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
"Thin" people, or those who respect their BMI are NOT hungry!
I eat whatever I want but because I don't eat it in industrial quantities it doesn't make a fat.

Plus, when you're thin there are a lot more things available to enjoy!!!!

Quote:

Old 07-05-2014, 12:30 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Call me fat....fine. You're bald, do something about it...or your teeth are crooked, have them fixed...or you should do something about that halitosis...or how about those moles, can't they be removed?

I'm consistently fascinated by the lack of mirror time spent by those giving grief to those who are overweight, though I suppose in some twisted way they get off on trying to make those of us with extra weight feel bad about ourselves to make themselves feel better about their own miserable existences or sense of varying inadequacies. Unfortunately for them I fling it back and don't hesitate to make sure others hear it as well.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:30 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

Wrong. Americans have more stress to work hard, be responsible, and do it all alone, than people of any other country. There's enough stress in the U.S. already. That's one piece of the puzzle of American obesity, the constant stress. The last thing we need is people telling everyone that they need to stress themselves out even more, and that they're being lazy. Americans are workhorses.

All work and no play makes Johnny get fat and become a psychopath - which is what is happening in the U.S.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:48 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Wrong. Americans have more stress to work hard, be responsible, and do it all alone, than people of any other country. There's enough stress in the U.S. already. That's one piece of the puzzle of American obesity, the constant stress. The last thing we need is people telling everyone that they need to stress themselves out even more, and that they're being lazy. Americans are workhorses.

All work and no play makes Johnny get fat and become a psychopath - which is what is happening in the U.S.
An excellent point that few consider.

5 Ways that Stress Causes Hypothyroid Symptoms

Old 07-05-2014, 12:50 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,570 times
It's all the crap they put in food nowadays that screws everything up. They load everything down with sugar and other preservatives the human body is not meant to handle. Sugar is just as addictive as cocaine. Look at a dessert recipe from 80 years ago, it had way less stuff in it than one from today.

I am sure there are some people who really do have an underactive thyroid, but many obese people just use that as another throwaway excuse not to get healthy and lose weight. Even young people nowadays are disgustingly obese. I was in the store the other day and passed by this girl who could not have been over 25, stood about 5'10" ish and looked about 300 pounds busting out of a tube top. And I have seen this look before and don't know who finds it attractive or acceptable in a sense. Honey, you look disgusting. Who the [mod]language /mod] told you to wear a tube top? You need to cover up your rolls of fat, not flaunt them.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-05-2014 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates