Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 01:36 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Since 1981, the "you're not being responsible" platitude has been (and is being) used on people that had (and who have) no options. Unless you can provide something more realistic, I doubt we can discuss this with any semblance of truth.
Actually, it began a long time before 1981. Humans have been making poor choices forever.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:53 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Ever seen any of those survival shows? The ones where people will eat bugs to stay alive?

Ever heard a kid stand in a house and say there's nothing to eat?

The kid thinks he doesn't have options. Reality is he just doesn't want to eat bugs. I can't say I entirely blame him, but it is an option.

People always have options, it's just a matter of are they willing to choose them. You can say that they don't have options that get them exactly what they want, but there are always options. It's just a matter of priority.
You're saying that a person, if they're really that hungry, should eat bugs? In this country, the U.S. The country that is supposed to be one of the wealthiest nations in the world? Wow.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:57 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,778,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You're saying that a person, if they're really that hungry, should eat bugs? In this country, the U.S. The country that is supposed to be one of the wealthiest nations in the world? Wow.
Seriously?

Read the post. I'm saying people have options. I'm not saying what people should or shouldn't do.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:12 PM

36,498 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Ever seen any of those survival shows? The ones where people will eat bugs to stay alive?

Ever heard a kid stand in a house and say there's nothing to eat?

The kid thinks he doesn't have options. Reality is he just doesn't want to eat bugs. I can't say I entirely blame him, but it is an option.

People always have options, it's just a matter of are they willing to choose them. You can say that they don't have options that get them exactly what they want, but there are always options. It's just a matter of priority.
I agree with this. While I do believe healthier foods are more expensive, I don't think we can use poverty as an excuse for obesity. It once was that poor people were thin people because they didn't have the choices in foods and little means to purchase food. With our current food stamp system one has the choice to purchase pretty much any food they want. I understand that often it is the high carb, cheaper foods that are purchased in order to stretch that dollar, like rice, past, potatoes, beans or cheaper meats like hamburger helper, hotdogs, bologna, etc. There is still a choice but it going to be less bang for the buck.
Choices are hard.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:14 PM

36,498 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Bugs would probably be better for us than some of the processed stuff we do eat. But no one in this country has to eat bugs.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:04 PM

179 posts, read 247,885 times
To the OP - I don't think anywhere near ALL fat people claim to have thyroid problems. I'm fat. I'm obese. I didn't used to be, I made myself this way through laziness. Not necessarily (although paritally) couch potatoe laziness, but more carelessness. I can put it into my mouth now, I don't see the enative result right away. It's sort of like smokers not linking up ONE cigarette to the negative impacts of smoking. So, I and many others like me are trying to do better. I belong to a weight loss site where thousands of people are working hard, succeeding and failing on occasion to become healthier. So, it does no good to generalize. I don't think obesity is glorified. I'm very close to just being "overweight' and I see a lot of prejudice against people who are overweight and obese. Don't judge until you've walked a mile in our shoes. We try and fail just like you no doubt do at something. Do some people make excuses - sure, and people make excuses why they haven't gotten their work done or gotten their oil changed, we don't like to admit we've been neglegent. It's not a happy thing. But iwth a little compassion and encouragement, rather than judgement, some will try to do better. When you see a fat person jogging and sweating, please try to think about how that person is trying to do one thing better for him or herself today, and think about what you can do better in your life, rather than singling them out for your disgust. (and I'm not saying you in particular did this, just kind of got on a roll.) The bottom line is I think we do better to look at people as individuals and try to help than to generalize and judge.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:30 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Seriously?

Read the post. I'm saying people have options. I'm not saying what people should or shouldn't do.
Yes seriously. I'm not the one who used bugs as an example of a food option.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:42 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Seriously?

BUGS are an option???? Where were you born?

Old 07-09-2014, 04:49 PM

10,018 posts, read 8,621,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Bugs would probably be better for us than some of the processed stuff we do eat. But no one in this country has to eat bugs.
I would be committing suicide if I ate bugs for they have all been poisoned at my house.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:16 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
This thread has veered seriously off-topic. I suspect the initial topic has been discussed thoroughly enough that there isn't much left to say. For all you involved in the debate about food prices, I started a new thread for you. You can find it here: Is it reasonable to say that you can eat healthy on a limited budget

Thread closed

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-09-2014 at 05:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates