Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:17 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Aside from alcoholics, many people indulge in alcohol because they enjoy it, and their intention is not to get drunk--a beer with the hot dog, a glass of wine with dinner. On the other hand, Everyone who blows weed recreationally does so to get high.
Depends on what you mean by "high." My only uses for cannabis are A) to enhance the apparent experience of listening to music on my expensive audiophile audio system (where the only thing I'm doing is listening to music with my eyes shut), and B) to potentiate other substances such as Methoxetamine or Allylescaline or 5-APB. High is a word used to describe everything from Heroin to Cocaine to MDMA to Cannabis to 2-CE -- substances with vastly different effects.

This species has been altering its consciousness for tens of thousands of years. Likely much longer. We appear to be driven to do so.

The gateway drug is hanging upside down from the jungle gym bars, and spinning around until the world feels like it's tilting - tilting - tilting when you're a small child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 10:15 AM

191 posts, read 516,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Long has this debate raged in so many circles. However, can any chemical, non lethal ones that is, be generalized in terms of effects? Whereas whiskey makes one person "happy" and another one abusive and violent, lies the quandary. As is the case with any mind altering chemical. There are general effects, but these effects are still unique between subjects. Alcohol, on one hand, can be expected to be far more general , in effects, than ANY other substance. Its general effects are well known, and quite...generally...harmful.

Marijuana however, is not as ingrained in people as booze. The higher percentage of all people have actually felt its effects, and so the knowledge is well disseminated. Not so with pot and other drugs. Other than in medical cases, another % that needs broken off for desperate study. One persons description of what a marijuana high is like will vary wildly to the next. That is, as to how it makes them think. One may say he/she was focused on the TV the other may say they became retrospective and thoughtful.

The common denominator with alcohol is heightened aggression, lack of inhibition and a direct effect on those around the person under the influence. Usually totally negative in impact. With pot ( these are my personal observations mind you..I'm no scientist and I don't think its a precise science figuring this out) people are more willing to peacefully resolve conflict, to mutual benefit even. And when the effects of each abate, there are FAR fewer regrets in behavior for pot over booze.

So, based on real human behavior that YOU, personally, have observed, and studies be damned, what is YOUR objective observation.? I ask for purely objective. from ones point of view what is "objectively?) as to what you have observed fro people under varying dosages of booze and pot? .

My personal observations and experiences lead me to believe booze is far more harmful than TCH, in the form of a joint. Another relationship I'm observant to is crashing and burning because of booze. As I write this. Yet not ONE in 50 hears of life have I ever seen crashed by weed. That sways my "scientific" opinion. Actual experience. Anyone wanna inject science and studies? Let's see if all that changes peoples opinions based on personal experience. Lmao.....I doubt it.

Well, there's a first time for everything. Last month a young man went to trail because he crashed his car high on pot and killed 4 passengers in his car. His defense was that because he tested Positive for THC in his system, his defense was his body was so used to smoking Pot that it didn't effect his driving. But he still crashed the car killing all four passengers! He alone survived. His ability to steer the car was off because he high (only on Pot, no alcohol) he crashed. Killed 4 people. True story.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:35 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I think what he's trying to say is on some level, alcohol can be imbibed as a 'food' or accompaniment to a meal without sort of standing out on its own. The act of smoking (tobacco, weed, cigars, whatever) can't technically claim that.

I think it's a subtle, somewhat interesting point but probably not all that useful of a distinction.
I agree, "the act of smoking can't claim that". But there are far more ways to use the products of the cannabis plant than the crass and obtrusive act of smoking. Perhaps you should Google recipes using cannabis oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Ann View Post
Well, there's a first time for everything. Last month a young man went to trail because he crashed his car high on pot and killed 4 passengers in his car. His defense was that because he tested Positive for THC in his system, his defense was his body was so used to smoking Pot that it didn't effect his driving. But he still crashed the car killing all four passengers! He alone survived. His ability to steer the car was off because he high (only on Pot, no alcohol) he crashed. Killed 4 people. True story.
I am unfamiliar with that case. It is quite possible, as you claim, the young man did crash because he was high, but based on massive amounts of contradictory statistics, it's much more likely that he crashed for some other reason and just happened to also be high. Nonetheless, driving while under the influence of any mind-altering drug (including legal drugs, like Benedryl), is illegal pretty much everywhere. If he drove while stoned, he is guilty.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:51 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
One story compared to the thousands & thousands of cases of drunk driving? Hardly an argument against legalization. I used to drink & drive when I was younger. Surprisingly never had a DUI or an accident but what a stupid thing to do, hey? I literally cannot drive while high. I tried once, drove in a big circle & came back home. Anyway, there are traffic laws for pot just as there are for alcohol.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:25 PM

191 posts, read 516,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
One story compared to the thousands & thousands of cases of drunk driving? Hardly an argument against legalization. I used to drink & drive when I was younger. Surprisingly never had a DUI or an accident but what a stupid thing to do, hey? I literally cannot drive while high. I tried once, drove in a big circle & came back home. Anyway, there are traffic laws for pot just as there are for alcohol.

No offense but tell this to the four sets of parents whose child was killed in that car with that driver high on pot and see what they tell you!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-01-2014 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: This sideline to the topic is done

Old 08-01-2014, 03:32 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
No offense but tell this to the four sets of parents whose child was killed in that car with that driver high on pot and see what they tell you!
No offense taken. However, one story of a person who had a car accident while high on pot is basically irrelevant. It would still be irrelevant if you had thousands of car accidents while high on pot. Look at how many car accidents happen while under the influence of alcohol yet alcohol is legal, right?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-01-2014 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: This sideline to the topic is done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates