Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 11:10 AM

662 posts, read 1,048,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Do you personally think it has more to do with racism or cultural differences? The reason I ask is because I don't think that most Middle Easterners and Indians find African Americans physically unattractive. When you go to North and West Africa, racial mixing between Arab and Africans have existed for over a thousand years. I think it has more to do with family members and friends putting a lot of pressure on their American-born children to not date African Americans and other racial groups.
I don't think it's necessarily physical attraction. Know the term ''beauty is in the eye of the beholder''? I think many of those middle easterners/Indians aren't attracted to black's physical features because of continued association with negative stereotypes.

I'm pretty sure if something magically happens where most AAs were bringing in six-figures, the attractive radar goes ''up''. Just my theory.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:35 PM

13 posts, read 30,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
I don't think it's necessarily physical attraction. Know the term ''beauty is in the eye of the beholder''? I think many of those middle easterners/Indians aren't attracted to black's physical features because of continued association with negative stereotypes.

I'm pretty sure if something magically happens where most AAs were bringing in six-figures, the attractive radar goes ''up''. Just my theory.
Trust me, it won't. The stereotype isn't that AAs are poor, so although they might get a second thought, it won't change the attraction quotient. Otherwise you'd have had legions of "those middle easterners/Indians" drooling over MJ or Shaq or Tiger Woods. Across all the girls/women I've known in India and here, that certainly hasn't been the case.

If the media started harping on violence in white households or the behavior of white kids in public or whatever it is that AAs are portrayed to do but don't do anymore than any other demographic, that will most definitely start changing the stereotype.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:35 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Indians and Middle Easterner are Caucasian. They are not a different race from ethnic Europeans.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:16 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post

P.S. Also, like others have mentioned, the Indian and Black communities in the Caribbean and northern parts of South America are much better intertwined than they are here in the U.S., so you might have better luck with South Asian women of Caribbean or South American (Guyana/Colombia/Panama mostly) descent.
Guyana, Trinidad and Suriname are the places with a significant percentages of people of South Asian descent. Panama and Colombia hardly as much.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:14 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,616 times
the other thing that should also be mentioned is that "darkies" like black people are akin to dalits (the untouchable caste). dark skin is abhorred in india and sign of low class/untouchable. this includes anyone who is dark skinned so black skin is definitely frowned upon. you can see average indian girls bleaching their skin to look lighter. dark skin is associated with evil, weak mindedness, and low capabilities. you will have a few tokens who have made it in society but even they go towards bleaching, like those actresses kajol and bipasha basu who have become very fair over the past decade thanks to skin bleaching treatments.

if a guy like kobe bryant, michael jordan, or lebron james were to show up and marry or want to marry a girl there (dating is not really openly allowed there by families), then there may be some exception as these guys would have so much money but the avg. guy wouldn't be chosen.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:25 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,904,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Guyana, Trinidad and Suriname are the places with a significant percentages of people of South Asian descent. Panama and Colombia hardly as much.
This may come as a surprise, but Panama actually has a sizeable South Asian descent population. People of South Asian descent have migrated to and been in the Western Hemisphere since 1492.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:41 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
the other thing that should also be mentioned is that "darkies" like black people are akin to dalits (the untouchable caste). dark skin is abhorred in india and sign of low class/untouchable. this includes anyone who is dark skinned so black skin is definitely frowned upon. you can see average indian girls bleaching their skin to look lighter. dark skin is associated with evil, weak mindedness, and low capabilities. you will have a few tokens who have made it in society but even they go towards bleaching, like those actresses kajol and bipasha basu who have become very fair over the past decade thanks to skin bleaching treatments.

if a guy like kobe bryant, michael jordan, or lebron james were to show up and marry or want to marry a girl there (dating is not really openly allowed there by families), then there may be some exception as these guys would have so much money but the avg. guy wouldn't be chosen.
This is only an issue in small villages. People from small villages never leave the village and thus don't even get an opportunity to meet people of other races. The ones who make it to the U.S. are generally from metro areas that don't believe in the caste system anymore.

I studied abroad in India and grew a love/hate relationship with the culture. So smart and caring, yet careless at the same time.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:34 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is only an issue in small villages. People from small villages never leave the village and thus don't even get an opportunity to meet people of other races. The ones who make it to the U.S. are generally from metro areas that don't believe in the caste system anymore.

I studied abroad in India and grew a love/hate relationship with the culture. So smart and caring, yet careless at the same time.

So many of the replies on this thread are from people who want to bend reality to their personal worldview. And the racism is appalling. This is the only thread I've ever seen where a reader can read the word "darkies."

Seriously. "Darkies." In 2014. Freaking appalling.

Gents, you can find a girl from any ethnicity that floats your boat. Not just possible -- but probable. Percentages work. No matter who you are or what you look like there is a percentage of people out there who have a thing for YOU. Find one, and then don't blow it.

It's simple to do this, I assure you.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:24 AM

I guess it depends on organization & unity of the particular groups.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:25 AM

India still has the caste system. Many parts of the Middle East have a caste system as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates