Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 AM

16,591 posts, read 8,610,160 times

Advertisements

It is just nature. Birds of a feather flock together.
Look at sports teams like football. They practice and play together, but when they are eating, most sit with their own race.

It does not surprise me to hear fewer whites have black friends than visa versa, because there are a lot more whites than there are blacks. So logic dictates that outcome. As a general rule most people don't live in the same neighborhoods, even in big cities where people are crammed together.
The only black friends I have are from sports or work. I cannot think of a single black family anywhere near me, and it is not as if I live in an exclusive area.
Now Hispanics are a different story in that there are plenty of them around, so I have a lot more of them as friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 10:24 AM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It is just nature. Birds of a feather flock together.
Look at sports teams like football. They practice and play together, but when they are eating, most sit with their own race.

It does not surprise me to hear fewer whites have black friends than visa versa, because there are a lot more whites than there are blacks. So logic dictates that outcome. As a general rule most people don't live in the same neighborhoods, even in big cities where people are crammed together.
The only black friends I have are from sports or work. I cannot think of a single black family anywhere near me, and it is not as if I live in an exclusive area.
Now Hispanics are a different story in that there are plenty of them around, so I have a lot more of them as friends.
Exactly, people flock together who share a common native culture. I will always have acquaintenses of different cultures but they most likely won't be close friends. I just don't relate to them on most levels. Just because there are many of the Hispanic persuasion around does not equate to a common culture or relationship point.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:18 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I think what's worse is when a person shuns their ethnic group entirely and goes out of their way to only associate with people outside of their ethnicity. Truly sad to see people who have no pride in their own race.
Im asian, I cant stand other asians that do that, they often only hang out with whites and somehow think it makes them better than you? they mock asians and laugh about it with their white friends

I remember once I was at this collector's show and a asian guy with a white lady couple with a baby were one of the vendors and they wouldnt even speak to me when I tried asking questions about their products, but they were happy to talk to the white customers and all their friends were also whites

it seems like a lot of asian women that marry a white guy do this? they think they have moved up in social class by marrying a white man? and all their friends are mostly other asian female / white male couples.

it's kind of sad when people dont care about their own people / ethnic group and dont even have any respect.

Last edited by mr bolo; 08-28-2014 at 12:19 PM..

Old 08-28-2014, 11:21 AM

877 posts, read 1,316,648 times
It's human nature

Most people to stick to their own kind

But I am biracial and go to a predominantly white school and I'm in a sorority. I'm one of two minorities in my house and the fraternity we socialize with are all white (well, 1 Asian). And my bf is white (he's in the fraternity we socialize with). So I make do with my environment

Old 08-28-2014, 11:35 AM

371 posts, read 454,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I disagree about sf in particular. Maybe white and asian people interact often. But blacks and latinos are pretty segregated in the city of SF. Particularly when you look at the young and affluent crowd.
Well as part of that crowd, in some respects, I would suggest that it's merely a case of blacks and Latinos not being in the crowd. It's an easy crowd to get into, be educated, do something that's considered to be useful. I find the blacks in San Francisco strangely unappealing a lot of the time, which is a strong contrast to blacks in Oakland who are more Middle Class and seem more sensible.

Most blacks I personally encounter are: homeless, incredibly ghetto, or very lower-class. There's a few here and there I see occasionally in the "young and affluent" crowd, but they're not nearly as populated as I see in other areas of the Bay.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:05 PM

31,044 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It isn't all that homogenous here in Las Vegas. Since so many of us work at the resorts (which are the model for diversity), we tend to get thrown together and mixed up in a slightly more efficient way than I have seen elsewhere.

I don't like living in Las Vegas for a lot of reasons. But ethnic relations is one thing this city actually does pretty well. It's not "break out the guitar and sing Kumbaya" yet. But this city is better than most places I've lived.
Thats because their shared love of gambling. I split time between Phoenix and SD and the people I date, work with and the people I hang with are as diverse as can be. Nothing like is projected on the National news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticDragonfly View Post
Well as part of that crowd, in some respects, I would suggest that it's merely a case of blacks and Latinos not being in the crowd. It's an easy crowd to get into, be educated, do something that's considered to be useful. I find the blacks in San Francisco strangely unappealing a lot of the time, which is a strong contrast to blacks in Oakland who are more Middle Class and seem more sensible.

Most blacks I personally encounter are: homeless, incredibly ghetto, or very lower-class. There's a few here and there I see occasionally in the "young and affluent" crowd, but they're not nearly as populated as I see in other areas of the Bay.
See, all depends on where you are at. I don't see any Ghetto people, even though a few had escaped from there. Most black, Mixed and others I work with are Engineers, Managers, Buyers and Technicians in the Aerospace Industry. People outside of work who I go out with- Health Care Professionals/Nurses, Bartender, Receptionist, Hair stylist, Editor, Pharmacist, Waitress come to mind. I'm sure there are others that escape my mind at the mooment.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 08-28-2014 at 12:24 PM..

Old 08-28-2014, 01:07 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
My guess it has a lot to do with where a person lives...

Some areas of the country are not very diverse.

Others, like parts of the SF Bay Area such as Oakland and Berkeley are very diverse.

It's a safe bet to say someone living in a diverse area would not be typical of the study...

Old 08-28-2014, 01:17 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
I expect it's a culture thing. Humans tend to gather in groups of people that are like themselves and share the same culture. This doesn't refer simply to race, though. I would think that would include, maybe, ethnicities, which is different from race,
geographic location, and other things.

I am white. I have mainly white friends, I think because there were simply more white people where I worked, which is where I met them. But my closest friend is black. I think that happened because she grew up in a white neighborhood and just relates to white people better than most blacks. Hard to be friends with hispanics where I live, since they are usually bilingual and heavily into their ethnicity and culture, so I would say that they tend not to be friends with whites, rather than the other way around.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:27 PM

31,044 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My guess it has a lot to do with where a person lives...

Some areas of the country are not very diverse.

Others, like parts of the SF Bay Area such as Oakland and Berkeley are very diverse.

It's a safe bet to say someone living in a diverse area would not be typical of the study...
Diversity in your area only works if you share some commonality or shared goals. If you are in conflict with one or more of the groups around you you can live in one of the most diverse areas of the country and still be at odds with the people around you. Racial differences are one of the easiest to get around. Easy to be color blind if you share the same culture. Religous differences may be the hardest to overcome.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:34 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
I'd think where you live has a big difference to. For example, living in NYC, LA, or DC, you see a lot of interracial marriages and get togethers. Also, some folks tend to stick within their economic class. I can be a bit "out of this world" to have someone who makes $120K hanging around who collects welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates