Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 04:51 PM

174 posts, read 180,709 times

Advertisements

Over the last decade the amount of American men seeking foreign wives has more than tripled. While globalization is certainly a reason, most men are saying that American women are demanding too much or have lost the femininity that men prefer.

Instead of seeking love more women are measuring bank accounts and assets prior to marriage when their counter parts in south America are not. Men are catching short flights to date and marry women that are seriously looking to start families.

Could the increased feminism and cultural changes in the U.S. be the reason for this change over the last decade?

Old 10-02-2014, 05:02 PM

41,940 posts, read 36,707,217 times
Who are these people and what is the evidence of this? Never heard of it outside of some rare cases in random pop news pieces. Certainly never met such a man, not have run across any or heard of any in any of my social circles.

I've also not heard or experienced that more women are measuring bank accounts and assets. I've not experienced that, nor have I seen it all, most people marry peers, but when there is a difference it goes both ways equally. Most women I date seriously earn considerably more than me. That is not uncommon. Where is the real evidence for this (not pop articles)?

Old 10-02-2014, 05:04 PM

6,534 posts, read 7,251,208 times
When I was doing an internship in the USA I remember this young newly married guy would bring home-made food. A different meal every day. Women asked about it and the guy told them his wife (Asian) made it. These women had a surprised look on their face and made fun of the guy with stuff like “My husband knows where the fridge and microwave is…And she also works?! You must be lucky…You better be nice to her!...” and made it seem something was wrong with them. I’ve travelled in Asian and Latin American countries and things are the other way around there. If a man goes to work and doesn’t take food from home people would be surprised that his wife is not cooking for him and wonder if something is wrong. Different cultures I guess but there are always exceptions of course but men travelling South just to marry women? Not sure. Besides, if you are in a multicultural country like the USA there is no need to travel far. USA is a cultural melting pot and you can still meet people who follow their culture (non-westernized).

Old 10-02-2014, 05:06 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,005,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinctwentyone View Post
Over the last decade the amount of American men seeking foreign wives has more than tripled. While globalization is certainly a reason, most men are saying that American women are demanding too much or have lost the femininity that men prefer.

Instead of seeking love more women are measuring bank accounts and assets prior to marriage when their counter parts in south America are not. Men are catching short flights to date and marry women that are seriously looking to start families.

Could the increased feminism and cultural changes in the U.S. be the reason for this change over the last decade?

no dude, it's because the women there are hot and some men find them more attractive, physically and culturally (more feminime).

you want the real reason why it's happening more frequently? information is more readily available on the internet about women in other countries and inexpensive international traveling. everything else is just more justification for doing it, but i wouldn't blame this one on feminism.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:40 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,331,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
When I was doing an internship in the USA I remember this young newly married guy would bring home-made food. A different meal every day. Women asked about it and the guy told them his wife (Asian) made it. These women had a surprised look on their face and made fun of the guy with stuff like “My husband knows where the fridge and microwave is…And she also works?! You must be lucky…You better be nice to her!...” and made it seem something was wrong with them. I’ve travelled in Asian and Latin American countries and things are the other way around there. If a man goes to work and doesn’t take food from home people would be surprised that his wife is not cooking for him and wonder if something is wrong. Different cultures I guess but there are always exceptions of course but men travelling South just to marry women? Not sure. Besides, if you are in a multicultural country like the USA there is no need to travel far. USA is a cultural melting pot and you can still meet people who follow their culture (non-westernized).
Umm.. I'm a feminist and I cook meals for my husband all the time. I'll even serve him. My Columbian friends practically don't even know where the oven is located. ( they also freak out that I actually clean the toilets myself. They grew up with maids.)Some women cook and some women don't. Some men cook and some men don't.

And I'm as american as you can get.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:17 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,586,618 times
What if feminism is the reason more men go to South America to get wives? (Assuming that is even true). I mean, so what? If men want to go to South America and bring home a wife, let them. If local women don't want to be subservient in order to interest those men, that is their choice. People should do as they please.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:34 PM

79 posts, read 121,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinctwentyone View Post

Its generally older guys looking for woman that are younger and prettier than those available to them in the US. American men are perceived as having more value than the local men.
Most don't bring the woman back nor marry them. The process is too costly and risky.

Long distance Western Union relationships which don't last too long.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:29 PM

6,972 posts, read 4,808,519 times
I can understand how nice it would be after a day's work to come home at night to a clean house, dinner made and served, and know someone else will clean up afterward. I can't tell you how much I, when I was a working woman, would have liked to come home at night to the exact same thing. Unfortunately, I could never afford a maid, which is exactly what I would call someone like that (but of course we call them wives, not maids, because wives don't get paid a salary - they're supposed to do what they do for love).

However, I am not a wife nor a maid. And as a woman, I would never hire on for a job like that, let alone taking care of kids all day long on top of everything else. And some men really don't like that I refuse to honor that "tradition". Well, I say great for them and if they find traditional wives, great for them too. It's just not something I want to do.

If that's feminism, then so be it. I am more independent than a lot of men would like or care to deal with and I accept that. It doesn't bother me, but yes, it does seem to bother a great deal of other people, men and women alike. I get called spoiled and selfish and told if it weren't for feminism and women like me, men wouldn't have to go to other countries to find their wives (yes, I've been told that several times on Yahoo message boards). My response, of course, is I don't care. In other words, I'm not something I don't want to be and other people get their bowels in an uproar about it.

So I would have to pose my own question back to the OP and ask, "Does the fact that men are looking outside the US for more traditional women even matter?"

Old 10-02-2014, 10:59 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,352,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Who are these people and what is the evidence of this? Never heard of it outside of some rare cases in random pop news pieces. Certainly never met such a man, not have run across any or heard of any in any of my social circles.

I've also not heard or experienced that more women are measuring bank accounts and assets. I've not experienced that, nor have I seen it all, most people marry peers, but when there is a difference it goes both ways equally. Most women I date seriously earn considerably more than me. That is not uncommon. Where is the real evidence for this (not pop articles)?
Yes I would say that women having more options is a contributing factor to men travelling abroad to find ladies. My good friend recently had a date with an attractive lady, but according to him it went badly in part because she found out he wasn't a high income earner, and she was. After this, she appeared to lose interest.

In addition to these type situations, a percentage of women don't feel like they have to have a man at all, they can have a child and take care of him without any help/hassle.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:02 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,352,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Umm.. I'm a feminist and I cook meals for my husband all the time. I'll even serve him. My Columbian friends practically don't even know where the oven is located. ( they also freak out that I actually clean the toilets myself. They grew up with maids.)Some women cook and some women don't. Some men cook and some men don't.

And I'm as american as you can get.
Meyerland, you got a lot of that right especially regarding maids, although it is "COLOMBIAN" not columbian, if you are talking about South America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates