U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 01:24 AM

11,383 posts, read 6,794,913 times

Advertisements

Originally posted back in October, 2008:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
I've been watching for over eight weeks how more people are affirming that we are in (or if not, heading into) an economic crisis. But I've also seen how for over eight years, America, from the heartland to the dixieland to both coasts, has allowed itself to go into a state of gluttony, materialism, vapidness, arrogance, and a me-me-me mentality. I see it everyday from the rich who are becoming richer without any additional legit work or contribution, to the working class who spends way beyond their means with crap they don't need, to the poor who are literally getting handouts by the dozens. This has especially hit home with me as I'm going to a college that has an excessive amount of materialistic and egocentric kids who become yuppies that live off of their parents', all while having the most undeserved boasted view of themselves. I'm not wishing this for everyone, but seeing how most of America is, even many of you have to admit that we need a good kick in the balls (or several of them) in order to return this country from the mentality of greed, vapidness, egotism, self-conceitedness, collectivism, favoritism, materialism, and so forth. And if a Second Great or Grave Depression is what it takes for the 2000s America to get its head out of its a**, then so be it! As for me, there's nothing much else that I can lose that the America of the 2000s have already taken.
And still the rant continues, (merely from other sources) that somebody ought to do something -- we just can't agree as to what.

That post was written six years ago. "Korporate konformity" and stupidity notwithstanding, most of what has transpired since then sems to revolve around individual acts of violence and insanity here at home and expressions of fanatacism abroad.

And while we're at it, let's not forget the constant fear-mongering, usually with "trailing spouses" and suburban escapists as the target market, that something, somewhere, is about to threaten their little idyll.

I came of age at the height of the Cold War, I saw a junior high classmate break down one day when a new fire/air raid siren was tested wthout public knowledge. And I learned, a long time ago, that everybody's dreams fall apart sooner or later.

And still we attempt to coddle and shelter ourselves in a false prosperity and security peddled by a dangerous partnership between Madison Avenue and Big Brother/Sister.

Within a month after the orignial post, I lost my regular employment to a major "corporate readjustment" -- DHL (now nearly forgotten) Two weeks after that, I began a pattern of part-timing and networking that was to last for two and a half years (with the 2010 Census as the linchpin -- making use of the "safety net", but trying to do my part not to strain it -- I had lots of company). And at age 61, I found another full-time employer, whose insurance paid for a lot of the necessary health precautions before retirement, (which, BTW, I still hope to supplement).

"The system", by some strange mechanism, appears to work for the majority of us, but it cannot expand indefinitely, particularly when the underwiting "responsibility" lies with a nation that is no longer the world's sole economc super-power. And within that process, the self-reliance and skepticism which was depicted so clearly via the written word in the Thirties and Forties has come under constant attack from the electronic media - It's so much easier to watch than to think before you speak.

It's our young, and our young men in particular, who are consantly subjected to this barrage; the "eductional establishment" has absolutely no incentive to reform it, and what's being offered by much of the Religious and Traditionaliist Right has little substance. Meanwhile, deviant behavior of any stripe (and I chose the word "deviant" only to categorize, not to demonize) is celebrated and encouraged -- but only after the self-appointed elite certifies it as Sufficiently Politicallty Correct.

Fortunately, "the system" still finds many means to correct itself, "spare parts" find ways to fit together, and the folly displayed by the politicians continues. But the urge to gamble and to test limits is central to the human psyche, and the pandering by those peddling unrealistic levels of sucurity is a natural result. Whatever it turns out to be, the next Big Shock won't be foreseen and blunted by a Big Scare.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-25-2014 at 01:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or