Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 07:14 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,341 times

Advertisements

I think this is one of those cases where one dweeb (the vet) has to go and say something dumb which momentarily makes you questions the way things work in general.

I have nothing against vets as a whole... Definitely not... But there are rotten apples in basically every group that make the rest of the group look bad, totally unnecessarily.

Example... Just like how some people insist on pulling race cards for personal gain, some people like to pull out the vet card too.

Sounds like the worker actually had the right idea by SINGLING the guy out... The dude happens to be a vet, but his actions dont represent all vets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 01:27 PM

12,166 posts, read 2,959,937 times
Quite possibly the most vocal about veteran status are not actually veterans. There have even been laws passed about those posing as veterans to get freebies or an ego boost or whatever.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:36 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
How many of you guys *out there* are *seniors* ?
Are you any different than the vet who can get 10% off at many places ?

Moderator cut: Against Great Debates standards

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-18-2014 at 02:54 PM..

Old 11-18-2014, 04:00 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
How many of you guys *out there* are *seniors* ?
Are you any different than the vet who can get 10% off at many places ?

Moderator cut: Against Great Debates standards
*Not me*

But...

I'm not sure how that translates to this. If you have a heartbeat and turn a certain age, that is becoming a senior... it took nothing to become that besides existing.

People choose to become vets.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:41 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
I was one of those vets that were vilified we I came home, you know the Vietnam Veteran. I'm very glad that we learned how to treat returning veterans. If you've never served in a combat theater then you really don't know what it is like to be able to come home. Something you've been waiting for ever since you got deployed. I think it's kind of nice to welcome those who served, it's most likely the first really friendly face they have seen other than their brothers in arms.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:46 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I think it makes a difference. It implies a level of hardship that many of us will never know.

My father was a veteran of many wars but like so many of his age, it was never something he talked much about and would never have used it in the example that the OP provided.

Still, when I hear someone is a Veteran, it does mean something to me.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:32 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times
It seems like the ones who are the quickest to claim veteran status and waive it around or use it for leverage are just fakers.

All the vets I know including myself rarely volunteer vet status even for discounts. It feels dishonorable. I mean it just feels cheap to claim vet status for a couple bucks off a meal or whatever.

I am glad for all the recognition, benefits and discounts, even though I don't use them someday I may be in a position where I have to and I know there are plenty of vets out there who need it.

80 to 90% of the people parking in handicap places around here have no business parking there as they can walk just fine. It seems it must be trivial to get a handicap plate/decal. The worst ones are the ones who get it simply because they are so fat. They pull up in the closest handicap parking, pull their huge carcass out of some crap mobile, waddle into the store and promptly plop down on a motorized handicap cart and commence to filling their basket with twinkies, ho-hos, cereal, ice cream, donuts, soda and all sorts of healthy choice foods like that. Then to put icing on the cake (no pun intended) they pull into the speedy checkout lane and pay for it all courtesy of me an you with their welfare card. Makes me sick just thinking about it. It just enables them to get fatter, maybe if they had to walk farther and push a basket around they wouldnt put so much junk in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates