Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:58 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

So this past weekend I was helping a friend move into a new house.

We went to the local U-haul place to rent a truck. While one person was helping us with the paperwork at the front desk, another person went outside to get the truck and park it in front for us.

Once paperwork was done, we walked outside and started to inspect the truck for any damage. As we were doing so, some guy approached us and says something along the lines that our truck was blocking the handicapped lane and that he was a disabled veteran, then he walked into the store.

We then realized that yes, the truck was blocking the handicapped space (there were several other open parking spaces adjacent to that handicapped spot, but that's irrelevant I suppose). We didn't even notice it, but we weren't the ones that parked it there, and not a whole lot of space out there in front of the place.

We felt bad about the incident, so my friend later told me he went back inside and apologized to the man, saying he didn't park it there and would never do something like that knowingly. The store clerk overheard this, and later told my friend that this guy would have found something else to complain about if he had the chance.

Anyways, I got to thinking, what difference does it make if someone's a veteran or not. Because he's a disabled veteran, that somehow makes it 'worse?' I'm a veteran myself, and I would never resort to some cheap tactic in an attempt to 'guilt' or 'shame' someone even more. I see it all the time in society though. If something bad happens, and that person happens to be a veteran, that makes it worse? How so?

Now don't get me wrong, when I read those horrible crimes stories of WW2 veterans being beaten and robbed the past few years, it sickens me.

But generally speaking, I don't see why a person's military status makes him/her more privileged or special than anyone else.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-11-2014 at 02:38 AM.. Reason: Changed title to reflect topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 08:49 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
It shouldn't have made your "infraction"any worse. Disabled is disabled.

Frankly, I'm more piqued about that unprofessional clerk complaining about one customer to another. Tacky.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:19 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,409 times
I see people trying to leverage their "Veteran" status for empathy, freebies, handouts, privileges, etc. I only use my veteran status where it is expected & suitable, in VA settings. I can't imagine waving my Veteran-ness around in public, expecting people to cater to my every need. To do so is Inappropriate, tacky, even un-dignified, the opposite of how a true warrior would carry him/herself.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:47 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
For the past few years it has been the PC thing to do to give veterans special treatment. Some people know this and use it to their advantage as much as possible.

It's probably just part of this dude's daily lexicon.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:50 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,071 times
I'm a disabled veteran, however, it doesn't entitle me to use the disabled parking spaces. I figure that if the guy can walk then he doesn't need the disabled parking space in the first place.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:10 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,624 times
I am wondering how old the disabled veteran is and how old these veterans are who posted.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:05 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,889,316 times
I'm a veteran myself from the 60's. I did use my GI bill benefits to go to college years ago. Since then I've never expected any special treatment from anyone. I could have used a VA loan to buy a home but saved enough money myself to make a down payment. If someone was truly wounded and disabled during combat then I think the government has an obligation to support and provide medical attention.

What I see now bothers me. Every veteran is a hero even if they never served overseas in a combat situation. If you're a vet or active duty many stores here will give you a 10% discount. Come in a military uniform and the discount is 20%. On Veterans Day several restaurants gave free meals to vets.

The VA disability system needs a serious overhaul. A relative served in the peacetime Marines in the 90's.
He broke an ankle during a training exercise and gets a disability check every month for the rest of his life. He has a job with the local phone company installing phone equipment outdoors. He has to climb phone poles and lift heavy equipment. His daughter goes to college free here because he is a vet.

Another relative was in Kuwait during the Iraq War. He was a truck driver and involved in a traffic accident that killed a Kuwaiti citizen. According to him he was traumatized and has difficulty thinking straight. Bingo. Also receives lifetime disability from the government. He now has a management job with the State of Texas.

I could also go on and on with the phonies who claim they are vets but aren't.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:12 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times
With the "veteran worship," I think a lot of people are trying to make up for the fact that some soldiers coming back from Vietnam weren't treated very well.

My housemate has several physical handicaps that can make walking very difficult and painful (she's had like 25 operations in her lifetime). One day two guys with no handicap tags pulled in front of her on their sport bikes and zipped into the handicap spot at the grocery store. My housemate confronted them and one of the guys angrily told her he was a veteran (though he did not say disabled) and could park in handicap spots because of that. Then he walked right into the store with no visible physical disability (and yes, I'm well aware that disabilities often aren't). Total BS. I think she should have reported them for no tags. She had to park in outer Mongolia because of them.

I find people who pull out the "disabled veteran" a little annoying sometimes, when they could just say disabled. It's like bludgeoning someone else with your sacrifice. I dunno, my friends who are combat vets don't really play that card, and at least one of them has pretty severe PTSD. Maybe when they get old and crotchety

But at the same time, I'm in awe of anyone who has served in the armed forces. It's something I would never be capable of (severe ADD). I think more needs to be done to support vets (better healthcare and counseling to say the least), but when people use it as a battering ram to get their way, it's pretty annoying.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Its just plain blocking a handicapped parking space. Then; being a veteran matters to me and others; you might feel differently;OK. Then I do not see my being a veteran is same has those being disable in service. Your have right to your opinion; I to mine.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:29 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
I'm a vet and you would never know it. I never, ever bring it up or use it to so much as get a free meal at Golden Coral on veterans day. I served. So what. Nuff' said.

I believe the majority of us are just like this. We served, we finished, we move on. While I respect each and every female or male veteran I do not see any need to leverage the status.

This is about as much as I will ever care to talk about the subject. You are right, it should never be leveraged. In a perverse way, it cheapens the status to some extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates