Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 02:13 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

If you're a poor white, especially if you come from a disadvantaged area, you have no advocate on your behalf. For other groups, the government can act as a powerful advocate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 02:25 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Black privileged is a Black male jumping in front of a long line and nobody says anything because they don't want to confront a potentially angry Black male. Aside from the privilege of being "feared" in American society, black privilege isn't that prevalent.
I wouldn't dismiss that aspect too much. A white person walking through a poor black neighborhood usually has a lot more to fear than a black person. Black's fear the police, white's fear the criminals.

Neither fear is 100% justified as not all police officers need to be feared for racial profiling and not all blacks in a poor neighborhood are criminals, but both scenarios happen often enough that people have developed a fear.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:29 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I think it's based on the liberal idea of equivalency - that we are all equal no matter what. It's a nice thought but I haven't noticed that human nature works that way in reality. And except for the most irrational racists the discriminating factor in most cases isn't skin color - it's behavior.

I'm in mind of the president saying, "You didn't make that," implying that we don't get where we are by our own merit, that our behavior doesn't or shouldn't have consequences either positive or negative.

This idea totally erases the possibility that in most cases people who succeed socially and financially have put effort into it over a period of time. It's nearly magical thinking that somehow the color of our skin causes success or failure.

And it's a real set-up for people of color because, by implication, it must be true that the only thing that stands in their way is the color of their skin. I can't imagine what a frustrating way that must be to live.

Furthermore it's based on altering the thoughts and behavior of other people (which is usually doomed to failure) rather than self-improvement which is something everyone has control over.

If we are automatically all on the same level and we don't actually have a part in creating our own fortunes then why bother to teach people that there are skills and attitudes that people can adopt to improve their situation?

And, yes, some people just have lousy luck. I don't know why. But legislating that won't change it.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:37 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
I wouldn't dismiss that aspect too much. A white person walking through a poor black neighborhood usually has a lot more to fear than a black person. Black's fear the police, white's fear the criminals. Neither fear is 100% justified as not all police officers need to be feared for racial profiling and not all blacks in a poor neighborhood are criminals, but both scenarios happen often enough that people have developed a fear.
It's not just Whites. Anyone walking through a poor/dangerous neighborhood could feel fearful. Do you really think a Black person who has grown up in a upper middle class suburb is going to feel so much safer in a poor black neighborhood than a white person who has grown up in a middle class suburb? I know plenty of Black people who are scared to walk through the ghetto.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:40 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
So what's the solution here? Is that what we are wanting to achieve is some sort of balance or equilibrium? To balance it out, let's just start arresting the white man who can't afford to pay his way out of it. That's what's really to compare here anyway, not the color of skin. regardless of skin color, if one can lawyer up enough, then he's off the hook.

this whole connotation that straight white men have some advantage [mod]language[/quote] Eventually, we will get to the point that it's considering "deserving" to prejudice against straight white males.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-24-2014 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: If you have to alter a word to get it past our filters it is a safe bet that it is not allowed.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:52 PM

254 posts, read 464,613 times
Quote:
Black privileged is a Black male jumping in front of a long line and nobody says anything because they don't want to confront a potentially angry Black male. Aside from the privilege of being "feared" in American society, black privilege isn't that prevalent.
PHILLY! My second home.

Anyways, I do think there is more to that. I'm sure I've gotten a job or two because I am black and intelligent. There is some type of thing that comes along with being a rarity (sad that I am a rarity...).
It doesn't always work in my favor, but I'm sure it has before.
It has nothing to do with being feared.

As to your point about middle class people being fearful walking in rough neighborhoods... GUILTY!

I was in W Philly, 52nd street! Walked around the corner with a scowl on my face to hopefully look hard enough that no one would mess with me. SO HAPPY when I got into the safety of my buddy's place.
Did it work? Actually I overheard one person laughing at me. "Why you mad bro? HAHA!"
After that, I walked around the duce with a huge grin. And, of course, some oils from the Muslim guys.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
So what's the solution here? Is that what we are wanting to achieve is some sort of balance or equilibrium? To balance it out, let's just start arresting the white man who can't afford to pay his way out of it. That's what's really to compare here anyway, not the color of skin. regardless of skin color, if one can lawyer up enough, then he's off the hook.

this whole connotation that straight white men have some advantage is bullshi+ and it pi55es me off. Eventually, we will get to the point that it's considering "deserving" to prejudice against straight white males.
The beauty of having White privilege in this country is that those that have that privilege, are usually unaware that they even have any privilege to begin with. Hence the reason why they are shocked when people who don't have that privilege can point it out a lot easier than they can. At the same time that doesn't stop Blacks from trying to improve their neighborhoods and build their own businesses within the Black community. If course doing that won't get rid of White privilege but at least Blacks would be less reliant on Whites for employment opportunity.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:16 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,073 times
Quote:
The beauty of having White privilege in this country is that those that have that privilege, are usually unaware that they even have any privilege to begin with. Hence the reason why they are shocked when people who don't have that privilege can point it out a lot easier than they can.
That's a bit of a flawed argument. The only people who can see white privilege are the ones who aren't privileged, and anyone who can't see it must be privileged?

If your stance is true, that means that anyone supporting white privilege must be right, because anyone opposed must be privileged and therefore just can't see it.

That's no different than a religious stance that only true believers can see a certain God and that if you deny he exists, it just means you're not a believer.

The argument doesn't prove the existence or absence of what you're saying... just makes a claim that "you just can't see it if you disagree."

Old 11-24-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
That's a bit of a flawed argument. The only people who can see white privilege are the ones who aren't privileged, and anyone who can't see it must be privileged?

If your stance is true, that means that anyone supporting white privilege must be right, because anyone opposed must be privileged and therefore just can't see it.

That's no different than a religious stance that only true believers can see a certain God and that if you deny he exists, it just means you're not a believer.

The argument doesn't prove the existence or absence of what you're saying... just makes a claim that "you just can't see it if you disagree."
I didn't say the only people who can see it are people who don't have White privilege. I said it's usually the case, however there are White people who do understand White privilege. Here is an example of one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AMY2Bvxuxc

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 11-24-2014 at 04:42 PM..

Old 11-24-2014, 04:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
So the title says there really is none since it would effect all whites; if it existed. But of course there are successful whites; blacks; Asian etc. So they are blessed. In other words they might have had help from parents possibility; Or they have paid attention from grade school on and been bless at birth with what few are ;higher IQ or ambition. In other words its the excuse of some why they are less successful than an others. Plenty more excuses where that came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates