Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 05:04 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Yeah, but if a white person is hurt or killed, justice will be brought down upon the blacks that committed said crime.

That's the thing that people miss. Even if blacks commit the crime, they almost always do the time. When it's white on black however, things get a little murky.

When white people get strung up with a hangman's noose on a light pole in the 'hood, mutilated, castrated, burned alive with no repercussions, then we'll have that conversation. For now, let's just acknowledge that white privilege is real, though it's benefits whites to varying degrees (some just a little and others a LOT).
Uh huh, which is why when Blacks kill Whites, it's never treated as racially motivated, but when the opposite happens, not so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 05:07 AM

411 posts, read 416,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
This is from a US standpoint. First off, the term White Privilege is inaccurate since the US Census' designation of "White" ethnic groups is based on whether someone is European, West Asian, or North African.

Now, if we look at history, we can't really call most of these people privileged, nor can they be called privileged based on their status in the US itself.

Groups like the Eastern Europeans didn't descend from slave owners, their ancestors didn't colonize the world. The same can be said of those of North African and West Asian descent. Really, if White privilege affects anyone, it would probably be those of English and other Western European lineages.

Even in modern days, groups like Slavs are more of the working class variety living in poorer Rust Belt cities. To say they belong to the same group of privilege as those whose ancestors colonized the world and owned slaves is really unfair. You can't say a person who came from a poor village in Romania has White privilege like someone whose descendants are the settlers of the US.

I think this term is very inaccurate and doesn't describe the situation of many US Census Designated White people.
That seems to be a nice tidy summary of the situation but if you think that you can scoop up groups like "Western Europeans and the English" into a privileged group, then you're mistaken. You need to educate yourself. Poor people, globally are the foot soldiers that do the dirty work of the elite. If you're looking for a group of people to throw at, then you're not much better than those you are against.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-26-2014 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 11-26-2014, 05:25 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOnions View Post
That seems to be a nice tidy summary of the situation but if you think that you can scoop up groups like "Western Europeans and the English" into a privileged group, then you're mistaken. You need to educate yourself. Poor people, globally are the foot soldiers that do the dirty work of the elite. If you're looking for a group of people to throw **** at, then you're not much better than those you are against.
Except I wasn't doing that. I was saying that *if* White privilege is true, not necessarily that it is. I don't believe in blaming anyone for my problems.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:39 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Yeah, but if a white person is hurt or killed, justice will be brought down upon the blacks that committed said crime.
That's the thing that people miss. Even if blacks commit the crime, they almost always do the time. When it's white on black however, things get a little murky.

When white people get strung up with a hangman's noose on a light pole in the 'hood, mutilated, castrated, burned alive with no repercussions, then we'll have that conversation. For now, let's just acknowledge that white privilege is real, though it's benefits whites to varying degrees (some just a little and others a LOT).

Black are in far more danger from blacks. Thats what the numbers show. If that cop had a six shooter he was a dead cop. And nodoby would care.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-26-2014 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: Use the quote button

Old 11-26-2014, 07:51 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Genuine holders of White Privilege IMHO would never peruse this forum or site.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:59 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Genuine holders of White Privilege IMHO would never peruse this forum or site.
Bingo. Ive been told before that I am a beneficiary of white privilege because my wife and I have a house, two cars, and good jobs. Im like...uh...no. We got all of that by attending night classes and working day shifts for 6 years. The "privileged" are out on yachts, have a (positive) net worth figure, and don't have to kiss butt to a boss all day.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:55 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Bingo. Ive been told before that I am a beneficiary of white privilege because my wife and I have a house, two cars, and good jobs. Im like...uh...no. We got all of that by attending night classes and working day shifts for 6 years. The "privileged" are out on yachts, have a (positive) net worth figure, and don't have to kiss butt to a boss all day.
OK, that's your awareness but not mine. In my life, white privilege has gotten me many, many job opportunities and job offers beyond my resume frankly. And in 4 different fields. The double-edged sword is that more is expected of the shiny white guy. Then again, when more is expected, and you do it, it usually leads to greater opportunity.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
OK, that's your awareness but not mine. In my life, white privilege has gotten me many, many job opportunities and job offers beyond my resume frankly. And in 4 different fields. The double-edged sword is that more is expected of the shiny white guy. Then again, when more is expected, and you do it, it usually leads to greater opportunity.
And how do you know this? Did someone contact you and say "Hey youre white, want a job?" Maybe you were contacted because you were...good at your job....

Old 11-26-2014, 11:54 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
And how do you know this? Did someone contact you and say "Hey youre white, want a job?" Maybe you were contacted because you were...good at your job....
In some cases it was blatant like that yes.

You sound like you doubt the existence of bias?

Old 11-26-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
In some cases it was blatant like that yes.

You sound like you doubt the existence of bias?
No but I doubt when someone says they were blatantly offered a job based upon their skin color for the sake of an argument....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates