Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 09:58 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,951 times

Advertisements

I don't have anything against gay people. In fact, i'll go as far as saying that even if my own son came and told me he was gay, i would be very accepting and understanding, knowing that being gay is not a choice (usually) and is part of nature and occurs in many other species on earth as well as us mammals.

That said, i've always thought of being gay as an anomaly, given that it is (at least appears so on the surface) against the evolutionary process; as in, being gay (again, at least it appears so on the surface) does not contribute to the evolution of the specie.

Is this view valid in your opinion? why so? why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 10:17 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I don't have anything against gay people. In fact, i'll go as far as saying that even if my own son came and told me he was gay, i would be very accepting and understanding, knowing that being gay is not a choice (usually) and is part of nature and occurs in many other species on earth as well as us mammals.

That said, i've always thought of being gay as an anomaly, given that it is (at least appears so on the surface) against the evolutionary process; as in, being gay (again, at least it appears so on the surface) does not contribute to the evolution of the specie.

My guess is that we, as humans, don't need to continue reproducing at such high rates. The planet can only hold/feed so man people. Probably something "built in" to begin controlling overpopulation. Just my guess.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:33 AM

1,204 posts, read 872,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
My guess is that we, as humans, don't need to continue reproducing at such high rates. The planet can only hold/feed so man people. Probably something "built in" to begin controlling overpopulation. Just my guess.
I have wondered about that built in mechanism myself. I had opportunities in HS and college to have heterosexual intercourse. Physically all systems were go---except there was a major part of me that said "nope--not right."

In HS and college whenever the opportunity for gay sex arose all systems were go---- physically and mentally.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:09 AM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
I consider it an anomaly only because of its rarity. Now, if homosexuals made up a majority of the population, I would consider heterosexuality an anomaly.

As for the evolutionary aspect, the question still stands: has the probability of homosexuality increased due to evolution or environmental factors and what are those factors. However, I don't want to threadjack. This topic has been discussed on other forums and it basically comes to a standstill between those who think the percentage of homosexuals has been constant throughout human history and those that believe that the rate has increased in recent years.

I have a hard time believing there is some built-in evolutionary mechanism that increases the rate of homosexuality in order to reduce population. Not saying it isn't possible, but there are many more probable reasons, IMO. Those being: chemical influences on the hormonal balance in pregnant mothers and/or fetuses, post-birth influences on hormonal balance, cultural influences that impose masculine and feminine labels on certain personalities and behaviors even though those personalities and behaviors are completely acceptable for members of that sex, etc.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:30 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
I was thinking about this question, are there gay animals? Are there gay dogs and cats? If not, than maybe we can determine that the differences between humans and intelligent animals and go from there.

Some say gay isn't a choice, but if the main differences between humans and animals (who are not gay) is the ability to make choices, well, i don't know, maybe that has something to do with it.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:35 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I do think it is a bit of an anomaly but it all depends on who you are talking to and the subject. In the natural world it doesn't make sense for a species not to replicate itself and prosper but then consider a virus, it takes over a host and eventually kills it leaving the virus without a home... Sort of what we are doing to the earth.... There are other parasites that do the same thing.
Nature wants us to reproduce.
I wonder if in nature when an animal exhibits homosexual tendencies it is in fact confused and thinks it is trying to mate with a female?
The human animal has the ability to think and reason. There is no doubt that some who are gay are born that way while others make a decision and they prefer being with the same sex.
There is a gay guy in our office building and he is over the top TV gay and he is quite the character. He said he always knew he was gay and that was simply the way he is.
If we go back to the caveman days, before man had time or the brain capacity to think I wonder if the hormonal urge to procreate hit straight as well as gay cave people and they tried to do it as often as posible with anyone that would stay still long enough be it a man or woman?
I think being gay is an anomaly but what does it matter as long as people are happy and are good to each other. The only time it wouldn't be good if there were only 2 people left on earth. "Hey Adam how about it?" as she lays down. "Eve are you crazy you know that thing does nothing for me!" Imagine if that was the case what a crazzy world it would be.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:16 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post

This 'surface view' is incorrect.

Consider this. Sickle-cell anemia is a hereditary blood disorder. It is most common in sub-Saharan Africa. The locales in which it is prevalent amongst the historic ethnicity almost perfectly overlap with the historic range of malaria. And why is that? It is because the allele responsible for sickle-cell anemia also conveys a resistance to malaria. And where malaria is prevalent, the benefits of having the allele which both causes sickle-cell anemia and conveys resistance to malaria outweigh the downsides.

The point is that in evolution, alleles typically have a variety of effects. It is not enough to simply look at one effect and see some hindrance to procreation, and thereby conclude that it is inexplicable that this allele has not been weeded out by natural selection over time. Similarly, it is quite possible that the causes of homosexuality convey benefits which, on balance, make those genes beneficial.

Then, there's the basic fact that copies of ones genes reside not only within oneself, but disproportionately within ones close relatives. Here is a discussion on that as it pertains to the evoltuionary persistence of homosexuality:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26089486

Old 12-09-2014, 05:44 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
I always thought it was considering males and females are designed to copulate and procreate. Although a heterosexual female and male do lose they ability to procreate with age they are initially driven and able to do so and propagate the species. Unlike being born with a physical defect which normally would not allow survivability on one's own, a homosexual is able to live a functional life as do heterosexuals.

Last edited by Felix C; 12-09-2014 at 06:53 PM..

Old 12-09-2014, 06:41 PM

98 posts, read 100,324 times
Everyone seems to have the idea that homosexually is in a person at birth. It is not.
I see it as an unnatural act.
Most have acquired it from the failure of parents to raise children with the love of God in them.
Parents often fail their children emotionally and may have been bullied by friends and someone comes along to comfort them and forms a homosexual relationship that leads to sex.
In the eyes of God it is a sin.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:55 PM

3,507 posts, read 764,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madera23 View Post
In the eyes of God it is a sin.
if one believes the bible how can one explain this .. adam and eve were the first humans .. adam and eve have a child .. if the child is a a girl and has a child who is the father ? it must be adam .. insest at its best ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates