Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 08:05 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,764,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
France is one of the only western countries that have a natural birth rate that is at or above the replacement rate. Nearly every other western countries' population growth is due entirely to immigration.

So in a thread about declining birth rates, France is a good example of the opposite of that.
Who are people having kids. The French or the immigrants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 10:55 AM

18,074 posts, read 25,173,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
It is well known that many first world countries have suffered from declining birthrates over the past 40 to 50 years and this issue persists. There are varied reasons for these declines including increasing educational attainment, changes in social norms and economic pressures. This thread is not intended to debate whether population decline is good or bad; rather the intention is to debate which of our modern day nations is most at risk of ceasing to exist and why.

The study of ancient history tells us that numerous societies have prospered, declined and then disappeared over the course of human events (e.g. the Carthaginians, Romans, Ottomans, Persians, Babylonians and the Mayans) to name but a few. In many ways all of the nations that have come to power or prosperity during the twentieth and/or twenty-first centuries are unique subcultures. Out of all of these nations, which one will be the first to dwindle away or otherwise disappear and why?
#1 on that list should be Native Americans (US)

Old 12-31-2014, 07:04 PM

If Israel is considered a modern day society then I say with little doubt that Israel will be the first modern day society to disappear. Israel is surrounded by people who hate jews and all of those people have a dream of pushing them into the sea. Added to that is the fact that worldwide anti-Semitism is at an alltime high. The ADL just did a world wide study that showed one fourth of the people of the world to be anti-Semitic. For a bit of history I will add that in past centuries when jews experienced anti-Semitism of an intolerable nature jews would pick up and leave for another country that was free of anti-Semitism. But these days things are different in that there isn't a country where jews would find themselves welcomed, except Israel of course. But Israel is able to exist because of a huge flow of money coming in from the outside. Some people call Israel a welfare country. I don't know if that flow of money will cease in the near future but I do know that many people are sick and tired of the leaching. Anyway I wouldn't put any bets on Israel existing too far into the future.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaNerdBot View Post
Any society dependent on oil will soon disappear because the world recently reached peak oil production. Oil is axiomatic in the creation of modern society, and without it, modern civilization would cease to exist. Globalization is the economic model where goods are transported across the world. This economic model will soon cease to exist because without cheap oil to transport the goods, there can no longer be large scale global trade. All of the Made-in-China goods from Walmarts in North America were transported there because of cheap oil. When you don't have that cheap oil anymore, the economy will have to localize. The only goods that can be produced in the future are goods that are sold where they were created. There is no way we can have long supply chains when oil becomes too scarce and expensive.
I think that it is more like there are many alternative sources of oil rather than a running out of oil. Who would have thought a few years ago the the U.S. would be the biggest oil exporter in the world. What is going to level those oil producing countries is competition will put them into a depression and they have nothing else but oil the depend on for their economy.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Interestingly, Jews -mostly from Russia, Ukraine, Poland but also from Canada, US, and Israel are emigrating to Germany. Berlin has over 50,000 Jews when just a generation ago it was 5,000. According to an article I read in The Jewish Daily Forward last year, over 100,000 Jewish immigrants entered Germany since 2003.
Would someone tell me why in the world jews would emigrate to Germany if Germany killed millions of jews in WW2? Germany would be the last country jews would want to emigrate to if they suffered as much as they claim.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:45 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,118,730 times
What will be the first modern day society to disappear?

Well hopefully the Tea Party will be the first group within our society to disappear...

All jokes aside, societies change over time. So I don't really believe too many will disappear, but there will defiantly be societies that change and evolve. The only societies that will probably go away completely would be the societies already in danger of disappearing, like a few tribes in the Amazon or Africa.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:44 PM

18,074 posts, read 25,173,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
If Israel is considered a modern day society then I say with little doubt that Israel will be the first modern day society to disappear. Israel is surrounded by people who hate jews and all of those people have a dream of pushing them into the sea.
Really?
Because Israel has one of the top 10 best military in the World... so I don't see that happening anytime soon

Old 01-02-2015, 10:23 AM

3,454 posts, read 4,913,356 times
Russia of course.

Quote:
Would someone tell me why in the world jews would emigrate to Germany if Germany killed millions of jews in WW2? Germany would be the last country jews would want to emigrate to if they suffered as much as they claim.
The Brits killed millions of Indians, but it remains a top destination country for Indian immigrants. When economic opportunities present themselves, past events have less relevance than one might assume.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 01-02-2015 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Merge

Old 01-02-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Russia of course.

The Brits killed millions of Indians, but it remains a top destination country for Indian immigrants. When economic opportunities present themselves, past events have less relevance than one might assume.
Oh I see. So they are going to Germany for economic opportunities. How many of them are going to Germany for revenge?

Old 01-03-2015, 06:45 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,269,567 times
Quote:
Oh I see. So they are going to Germany for economic opportunities. How many of them are going to Germany for revenge?
Probably none.

Germans, per se, did not kill Jews. The Nazi regime, manned by sympathetic Germans did. Germany is not a Nazi regime anymore.

Of course there are anti-Semites in Germany today, but the same can be said of other countries with large Jewish populations like the U.S. and Israel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates