Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 04:57 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,120,327 times

Advertisements

I am a White guy, born in 1957, eastern NC. I grew up in the last days of official segregation. I recall the days when Blacks were denied services at restaurants & motels and often got 2nd class service at stores where they shopped. Better jobs were "reserved" for Whites. Neighborhoods were generally segregated. Landowners could legally refuse to sell land or housing to Blacks or refuse to rent to them.

I don't say discrimination does not still happen but I can say it is nothing like when I was a child. Blacks live in all the new neighborhoods being built in my city, including highest price neighborhoods. I have attended multiracial churches for the past 25 years (yes, I know not all churches are but many have put race behind). I have worked mostly in multiracial work places all my life. Very few were not. My circle of friends is far and wide, with people of many races from all over the world. My daughters too. Their friends come in "all stripes" and all are welcome in our home, as well as their families and we are welcome in theirs'. In my childhood, few White parents would have let their kids socialize with "them". I knew from an early age that was wrong & that I was not going to live that way.

I remember the 1st few Black students who came to my school. 1 girl to start, in a school of about 450. She caught hell but stood strong & broke a lot of barriers. I barely knew her but always admired her. She was 3-4 grades ahead of me. She & I have been Facebook friends for a couple of years. In 4th grade, our school got a Black librarian, our 1st Black faculty member. A wonderful woman who could help kids find anything they needed for their studies. I last saw her in 1990, not long before she died. In 5th grade, a guy and girl came to our class. He & I became friends. I already didn't have a full dose of race hatred and getting to know him dissolved what I did have. I supported civil rights from then on.

I have had a good number of Black African friends, including many from Liberia. According to them, when American freed slaves 1st went to Liberia, they gained control of the country & alienated the native people. Further, the native tribes fought among themselves too, even before that. Several of my friends were from warring tribes but mananged to become friends here in the US where they were "fish out of water". So various forms of racism & strife go all around, not just in the US.

I don't want you to leave, FWIW. Black people are part of this nation, some are good, some not so good; like any other people. Your forefathers helped build this nation, albeit against their will. They struggled to survive & later struggled for a better place in this society. The Buffalo Soldiers and Tuskegee Airmen were gallant examples of courageous soldiers and there were thousands of others, not well known, who helped win wars.

Not to keep bending your ear but wanted to make a point.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:56 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,760,023 times
All these arguments only reinforce that the only solution is the total separation of races for peace to be had. Otherwise the violence and tension will go on and on and on and sometimes it will web for awhile then all it takes is one or two incidences and its back to the tension and violence and everything else that goes along with integration of blacks and whites and other groups. So the first step to separate the races should be that any assistance from the government can only be given when blacks are in there own areas. If they live in white towns or areas there will no assistance of any kind given.

Also an area of contention is the fact that whites are paying their tax dollars for black programs and blacks are paying their tax dollars for white programs. A lot of bitterness comes out of that fact. So whites pay for whites and blacks pay for blacks when it comes to welfare and other government programs.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:56 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,129,694 times
Uh, no thanks. My family has been in America for hundreds of years, and most black Americans (the descendants of slaves) are more "American" than the vast majority of whites whose grandparents were fresh off the boat. Black Americans helped build this country to what it is today and we are an integral part of American society. We've fought in Vietnam, we fought in Europe, we founght on American soil. My grandfather was a part of the Air Force and his brother fought in Vietnam.

Many of us, including my family, have become successful. Why should we have to uproot ourselves to appease a bunch of racist white folk?

No thanks.

And by the way, stop talking about "us" as though we are homogeneous group who all think alike! We are not!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 01-12-2015 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: Merge

Old 01-11-2015, 11:23 PM

62 posts, read 83,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It seems that it might not be a bad idea for Blacks living in United States to seriously consider. We all need to face the ugly truth that things are not getting any better and probably never will for the Black American community. Blacks have tried to get real equality for over 400 years but sadly it has failed. Here are my list of reasons as to why Blacks should seriously consider leaving the United States.

• Why continue to live in a country that claims to be progressive and fair in law but continues to ignore and address the clear problems and issues caused largely by White Supremacy against the Black community.

• Why continue to live in a country where the systematic oppression of Blacks still exists.

• Why continue to live in a country where real Black leaders like Dr. Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Huey Newton, and Marcus Garvey are either assassinated or silenced while "so called" modern day Black leaders like Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson live on, even though they do absolutely nothing to try and improve the issues in the Black community.

• Why continue live in a country where Planned Parenthood and abortion hurts the Black community at a disproportionate rate.

• Why continue to live in a country where the majority of the American population doesn't want to live around Black people "regardless of income level".

• Why continue to live in a country where you are hated just for being Black.

• Why continue to live in a country where Blacks are judge by their color first and foremost before being treated as a human being.

• Why continue to live in a country that doesn't want Blacks to thrive economically.

• Why continue to live in a country where people fear you just because you have Black skin.

• Why continue to live in a country where a "so called" Black president has done more damage to the Black community than good and continues to set race relations backwards.

• Why continue live in a country that has systematically put drugs into the Black community to destroy them.

• Why continue live in a country where immigrants are treated better and given better resources to thrive economically in America than native born Black Americans.

• Why continue to live in a country that favors illegal immigration. Which is something that greatly hurts Black American employment.

• Why continue to live in a country that has a political party that says they are helping the Black community but in reality they have become the new slave masters.

• Why continue to live in a country that has systematically destroyed the Black family.

• Why continue to live in a country where the majority of it's population isn't sympathetic or even in some cases, doesn't even care about the long history of struggles and continued oppression in the Black community.

• Why continue to live in a country that has historically brainwashed Blacks into hating themselves. A great example is the weave and hair straightening obsession that Black American women have.

Countries that Blacks could consider going to are African countries (primarily Western and Central nations) and countries that already have a large Black population and don't carry most of the baggage that the United states has against Black people.
What a asinine idea but I'll play. You want blacks to go back to Africa? Fine just pony up the reparation monies for blacks for the hundreds of years of slavery they had to endure in 'murica!

Old 01-11-2015, 11:39 PM

102,085 posts, read 107,127,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly;
It would much easier and practical for Blacks to leave this country given that Blacks where the ones who have experienced the worst kind of oppression and racism for over 400 years. Why would you expect Whites to leave the oppression and racism that they created? It makes no sense for Whites at a collective level to leave America unless it is purely for economic reasons.
It makes no sense to me for Blacks to leave at a collective level. You still haven't explained why the perps should get to stay with the goodies. Is that how you treat people who mess up? And you want to banish the victims? That makes no sense.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:20 AM

8,631 posts, read 12,938,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It makes no sense to me for Blacks to leave at a collective level. You still haven't explained why the perps should get to stay with the goodies. Is that how you treat people who mess up? And you want to banish the victims? That makes no sense.
So what are you alluding to? Some sort of race war as payback?

That will never happen. Blacks don't have the numbers or the military resources to kick Whites out of America. The overwhelming majority of Blacks are not racists and will never be. When you look at the history of this country, Blacks have always been sympathetic to the Jewish, Italian, and Irish struggles even though it hasn't been much sympathy in return. It would be much easier to avoid further bloodshed and just leave the country while we still have our freedom to do so.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:23 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,193,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It would be much easier to avoid further bloodshed and just leave the country while we still have our freedom to do so.
I'm honestly curious why you have not left the US yet, considering your own views?

I think it was Tony Blair who said "Enough talking. It is time now to do."

Old 01-12-2015, 06:52 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,771,339 times
The idea is ridiculous. Blacks leave America? Like the Exodus? As a practical matter, it can't happen and talking about is futile. They have no where to go and no reason to go there.

In the 1970's a group of blacks did go to Liberia to settle there. When they arrived, they threw their passports into the bay. A month later, natives reported seeing these blacks out in the bay trying to retrieve their passports. Thing hadn't turned out the way they hoped.

The moral of the story is that mass migration is not the panacea advocates think. It's not like the opening of America's west or the Eastern/Southern European migration through Ellis Island. A movement of an entire people is almost unknown in history and is always accompanied by a tragic ending.

Blacks are here. They are Americans. Their future is in America.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:31 AM

30,589 posts, read 21,757,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
The idea is ridiculous. Blacks leave America? Like the Exodus? As a practical matter, it can't happen and talking about is futile. They have no where to go and no reason to go there.

In the 1970's a group of blacks did go to Liberia to settle there. When they arrived, they threw their passports into the bay. A month later, natives reported seeing these blacks out in the bay trying to retrieve their passports. Thing hadn't turned out the way they hoped.

The moral of the story is that mass migration is not the panacea advocates think. It's not like the opening of America's west or the Eastern/Southern European migration through Ellis Island. A movement of an entire people is almost unknown in history and is always accompanied by a tragic ending.

Blacks are here. They are Americans. Their future is in America.
Sure your not thinking of the 1820s, when black people from American with the help of the US government colonized that part of Africa. They basically created the equivalent of South Africa Apartied with blacks of American descent on top and local Africans on the bottom.

"The colonists and their descendants, known as Americo-Liberians, led the political, social, cultural and economic sectors of the country and ruled the nation for over 130 years as a dominant minority."

Liberia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-12-2015, 10:06 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,771,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Sure your not thinking of the 1820s, when black people from American with the help of the US government colonized that part of Africa. They basically created the equivalent of South Africa Apartied with blacks of American descent on top and local Africans on the bottom.

"The colonists and their descendants, known as Americo-Liberians, led the political, social, cultural and economic sectors of the country and ruled the nation for over 130 years as a dominant minority."

Liberia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm aware of that, Juan, although I thought it was after the Civil War when they colonized Liberia. I believe I was taught that Liberia was founded as a place that ex-slaves would go to. Hence the name, Liberia. The event I was referring to was a separate thing in the 1970's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates