Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 03:07 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It not about Blacks being kicked out of the country but more about Blacks at a collective level, choosing to leave the Untied States in large numbers. I'm not talking about the government rounding up Blacks and shipping them out of the country. I've also said this on the other sub-forum that this thread isn't about "getting back at the White man" or having "revenge".

I wish more White Americans would be honest and acknowledge that they benefited on some level for what their ancestors did in the past. The part where disagree with your statement is I don't think there is anymore hope left for the Black community to improve its core issues. Sure it is possible in theory but I don't think it will ever happen.
As for the claim that "white Americans" have enjoyed a particular kind of residual benefit from "what their ancestors did"; This kind of talk only serves to further the misunderstanding of just what long term benefit was realized from slave labor and who has received any thing tangible from it.

The "core issues" in the "black community", another attempt to paint a picture with too broad a brush stroke. Most of America has never had a good understanding of the historical nature of poverty as it relates to black people. I've seen plenty of successful black people, and I've seen the masses of those black people in our ghettos that haven't been successful, what makes some prosper, and why isn't there a component of parity with regard to the success of whites?

Much has been made of the term "community" when we discuss the plight of those living in poverty, why is that? The best answer probably lies in the fact that select groups of people in America tend to make up the collective of those stats that delineate those living in poverty from those that aren't. Blacks certainly don't have an exclusive on poverty, the stats show many whites and Mexicans also in those groups.

The core of what constitutes an institutionalized form of poverty, and what those who are impeded by that situation can do about that often times comes down to the mindset of the victims who live in that environment. This is obvious to even the most casual of observers of life in the American ghetto, not to mention the various ghettos around the globe. A general lack of will is the final disposition of those living in poverty and hopelessness.

Very few accounts of history have ever demonstrated the merits of complacency being a thing that brought victory to anyone's cause. Any and all advancements in the quality of life for those on the bottom of a society, any society, can be attributed to collective action, and within that collective there must be strong individuals. With that in mind I'm wondering if that is the case with the present day realities experienced by those living in America's ghettos.

I'm not pointing these things out in order to find fault or to place blame on the poor for their plight, but, moreover to articulate the reasons for what I see as a cessation of political action on the part of this nations poor. Hope is derived from action and what benefit can be sought from such action, without action there will be no reason to hope. Leaving America isn't a viable option, but political action----

Old 01-08-2015, 03:20 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times

We were doing really well for a while..... sigh.

Some gentle reminders:
  • Stay on topic. The topic is "should blacks leave America."
  • DISCUSS THE TOPIC ONLY! Do not discuss other posters - this includes their race, their travels, their experiences, their education level, their reading comphension, or anything else. Double check any post that includes the word "you" to make sure you are not talking about another poster.
  • If you don't like the topic, or think it is stupid, ignore this thread - do not comment on it.
  • And as always...... This is a DEBATE forum, generally 1-2 sentence statements are not allowed and will be deleted.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:52 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
How big of a rock does someone have to be under not to know that Obama's election signaled absolutely nothing towards the notion that we are post race. In fact, more the contrary. Anti-black sentiment has increased during Obama's tenure, not decreased.

As I understand it, for every $100M earned by black sports athletes and entertainers, the American Justice System recoups $60M in fines, garnishments and imprisonments. Work for blacks is so hard to find that educated black people without any criminal history have poorer employment statistics than whites with criminal histories. One of the reasons the black unemployment rate is only double that of whites is because millions of black people have never worked at all, and therefore cannot be called unemployed. The 1.2 million black men in prison are also not counted as unemployed. Speaking of prison... 12 of every hundred black people are in prison. 0.4% of every hundred white people is in prison.

Every ethnic group in America has equal numbers of men and women in free society, except blacks. Between untimely deaths and imprisonment there are 3 million more black women than black men walking free in America. The unemployment rate for white young people between 16 and 21 is 40% and this is considered disturbingly high. The unemployment rate for black young people between 16 and 21 is 98%. What would you call that? If blacks were CEO's of Fortune 500's in proportion to blacks representation in the population there would be 64. There are 4 of them. Are you sure you are black? I have to ask... I mean... I'm pretty non-ethnic myself, but that doesn't mean I don't know what time it is! There is no excuse for your kind of apologia. Things are far from equitable.

And why should black people continue to have to be minstrels for white people to acheive success? Why are the only successful black people athletes and entertainers? You have maybe 20 black people out of 40 million that distinguished themselves in careers in medicine, astro-physics, politics and other niche careers. What about welding or contracting or teaching or myriad occupations where if they employ blacks at all it is on separate pay scales that are not commensurate with their skills and experience. You set a pretty low bar for black expectations if you think things are at all looking up for "us".

H
Regarding the first paragraph... Who said anything about being post-race? Obama is the president because plenty of white people voted for him. Believe me - I am no Obama fan, but doesn't those elections signal some type of racial progress?

Regarding your middle two paragraphs... I never said everything was OK and all is well. I said collectively, black people have progressed further along than we ever have. Just think back and tell me where blacks have been better off in this country. I'm not saying all is cool... I am saying there is progress. And since there is a red post above, I will refrain from answering your "are you black" question.

Regarding the last paragraph, there are plenty of successful black people that no one hears about that go to oil companies, hospitals, financial companies, etc. every day - even have their own businesses. It's an insult to just group all black people together and say they are minstrels for whites just because they have a job. Many of us work hard to do what we do. I see them. I go to church with them. I visit other churches with these people. They guy who did our home inspection works on his own. Again - you can choose you the information you pay attention to. Look around as you go to work... as you go out to eat... I don't know what city you reside in - maybe there are not many black people there. The progress is slow - but we are progressing.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 01-08-2015 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: Removed color font

Old 01-08-2015, 03:55 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,173 times
Moderator cut: off topic. What is going on today that is worse than the period of time during civil rights movements of the 60's? All the progress that has been made and their is a suggestion to throw your hands up and leave!? What? Where? Where can our humble good Americans go where they will get treated better with all the good values we Americans bring with us?

I wish an enlightenment in our people where diversity in SKIN COLOR is cherished not used as a cause to divide and label. Silly.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 01-08-2015 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: please read post #32

Old 01-08-2015, 04:23 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
As someone else mentioned, most American blacks have deep roots. I also think that most people who have never really been in integrated settings really don't understand that the stereotypes don't really play out in your neighborhood like they do in the media. I think the majority of people in any race in the US simply have plain and ordinary every day lives. Another big player is socio-economic class and not so much race.

It isn't like black Americans today came from somewhere else and have that place to go back to. It would almost seem as silly as saying that I should return to one of the countries in Europe where that my ancestors came from because conditions there are more favorable for people like me.

Things are all that great for most Americans right now but we are all Americans and as a diverse group, I think we will all still be standing in the end.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:41 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
What is going on today that is worse than the period of time during civil rights movements of the 60's?
Unemployment, so many babies born out of wedlock, increase in single mothers, Black-on-Black-crime, and more Blacks in prison just to name a few.

Quote:
All the progress that has been made and their is a suggestion to throw your hands up and leave!? What? Where? Where can our humble good Americans go where they will get treated better with all the good values we Americans bring with us?
Many countries around the world would love to have African Americans because of our potential to improve a nation. Just look at our history. We put our blood, sweat, and tears into building up a country that has oppressed Blacks for over 400 years. Just think of the potential Black Americans would have if we lived in a country that wasn't trying to systematically oppress us. The Black community would flourish. Other countries would welcome us with open arms. Even with all of the issues that exist in the Black community today, it's not like we would be refugee immigrants coming from a 3rd world country. All Blacks ever wanted was true equality and we will never get that here in America. So it's best to just leave and divorce this abusive country we call the United States.

Quote:
I wish an enlightenment in our people where diversity in SKIN COLOR is cherished not used as a cause to divide and label. Silly.
That's because many Black Americans have been brainwashed into believing that their skin color is inferior.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:55 PM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Personally I don't know why the OP would want to leave the US. If he has made enough money in this country to move anywhere in the world that he wants then he is doing quite well here. There is no Panacea in the rest of the world, and there is no guarantee that he would do better elsewhere.

Judging from the OP's previous posts, he seems to be bright, pragmatic and articulate, it would be a loss to lose him to another country.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:04 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
As someone else mentioned, most American blacks have deep roots. I also think that most people who have never really been in integrated settings really don't understand that the stereotypes don't really play out in your neighborhood like they do in the media. I think the majority of people in any race in the US simply have plain and ordinary every day lives. Another big player is socio-economic class and not so much race.
You're thinking too small. While the media certainly plays a part, you have to look at American society as a whole. You can't talk about the economics of American society without talking about racial the component. It's like ignoring the huge elephant in the room.

Quote:
It would almost seem as silly as saying that I should return to one of the countries in Europe where that my ancestors came from because conditions there are more favorable for people like me.
It's easy to say those things when your ancestors haven't been through what Blacks Americans had to endure for hundreds of years.

Quote:
Things are all that great for most Americans right now but we are all Americans and as a diverse group, I think we will all still be standing in the end.
What's ironic is that America talks about diversity yet it doesn't practice it. This is still a very racially divided country on many different metrics.

12 Maps That Show The Extreme Racial Segregation In America's Biggest Cities - Business Insider

The Best Map Ever Made of America's Racial Segregation | WIRED

Wealth Gaps Rise to Record Highs Between Whites, Blacks, Hispanics | Pew Research Center

Old 01-08-2015, 05:20 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
no, i don't think african american should leave, that has never cross my mind, I mean, why would they leave, they are just as american as anybody else. thats like all the indians asking all the white folks to leave. I don't even want the illegals to leave.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:50 PM

226 posts, read 267,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Unemployment, so many babies born out of wedlock, increase in single mothers, Black-on-Black-crime, and more Blacks in prison just to name a few.

Many countries around the world would love to have African Americans because of our potential to improve a nation. Just look at our history. We put our blood, sweat, and tears into building up a country that has oppressed Blacks for over 400 years. Just think of the potential Black Americans would have if we lived in a country that wasn't trying to systematically oppress us. The Black community would flourish. Other countries would welcome us with open arms. Even with all of the issues that exist in the Black community today, it's not like we would be refugee immigrants coming from a 3rd world country. All Blacks ever wanted was true equality and we will never get that here in America. So it's best to just leave and divorce this abusive country we call the United States.

That's because many Black Americans have been brainwashed into believing that their skin color is inferior.
It is not inferior to have black skin.

Neither should it be used as entitlement to special privileges. Ferguson was a disgrace burning down businesses but much of it was instigated from outside agitators. At any rate, you get what you work for - if blacks want businesses they have to work for it like anyone. It's not easy for anyone except the elite today, no matter what color you are. Blacks have no corner on the market for being mistreated. Things were improving until Obama which is sad, he had the opportunity to make blacks proud - and some are - but I think they are the ones who support him solely because he's black which is, of course, a racist point of you, the sort of thing they oppose, i guess, unless you're black.

We are all Americans and need to work with that - the divisions being built among us will hurt all of us. Don't listen to the agitators, we need to take our country back from those trying to divide us. Skin color should have nothing to do with it, if you're PRO-AMERICA then you will probably do a good job. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Oldhag1; 01-08-2015 at 06:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates