Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 08:49 AM

121 posts, read 179,859 times

Advertisements

Note: I know that is not a mental illness , please read the rest for explanation.

Ok, so if you go back to 1700's to meet people and tell them that we are able to fly in airplanes now... They will laugh at you! They will say, are you crazy? It is possible to do that!

The point of that scenario is... We never know what kinda crazy inventions we have in the future. Today, we live in a world where we can choose our baby's eye color, we can change our gender, we can even change the shape of our nose if we don't like it! If we tell that to people in the 1700's and they won't believe us. We might think today that it is crazy or impossible to change a person's sexual orientation....but do u think it can happen in the future? Now, I'm not saying it's a mental illness....but maybe some people (gay or straight) may not really feel uncomfortable with their sexual orientation and wanna change it... Maybe to some people, gay/straight/lesbians.. it just doesn't "feel right" to them emotionally and would like to change it. Do u think we will be able to change it in future with advanced technology?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 01-17-2015 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Removed poll, which are not allowed in Great Debates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 09:04 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,324 times
Yeah..ive long thought it will be medically/chemically possible to change peoples sexual orientation to whichever one they choose eventually..i dont mean that goofy religious reparative therapy stuff either...i mean people will legitimately be able to choose their sexual orientation, or at the very least theyll be able to determine and choose their child's sexual orientation before birth...exciting times ahead indeed!

Old 01-17-2015, 09:09 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,912 times
I think that the only reason why a gay person is uncomfortable with their orientation is because of what others think and do in regards to the attitude and treatment of gay people.
Those who I knew were gay growing up had a much harder time trying to be straight. Once they accepted who they were, they were much happier with themselves, even with the occasional jab from some homophobe.
I see no reason to have an invention to 'alter' someone's sexual preference. I think it would cause more problems than solve them.
I also think it is silly to change a body part because 'you don't like it'.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:16 AM

121 posts, read 179,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I think that the only reason why a gay person is uncomfortable with their orientation is because of what others think and do in regards to the attitude and treatment of gay people.
Those who I knew were gay growing up had a much harder time trying to be straight. Once they accepted who they were, they were much happier with themselves, even with the occasional jab from some homophobe.
I see no reason to have an invention to 'alter' someone's sexual preference. I think it would cause more problems than solve them.
I also think it is silly to change a body part because 'you don't like it'.
Well, maybe a straight person might feel emotionally uncomfortable with their sexual orientation too (yes , the human sexuality is complex...lol)... Believe me, I have seen people like that!

Old 01-17-2015, 09:42 AM

I dont think the question is whether there would be a reason for it or not....the reason for inventing such an alteration will be rendered both self explanatory and irrelevant when a profit is able to be had from such an invention.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:00 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,059 times
About the only ones I can see wanting to change the sex of a homosexual are those that are uncomfortable with it, as if it is a stigma. This is created by society and since society is evolving away from ancient social mores, the need for this kind of intervention will be moot. And the op mentioned choosing the eye color of ones child, really? I have never heard of that, how does one go about doing that?

Old 01-17-2015, 02:33 PM

Being gay is equal to being straight...so there could conceivably be a number of straight people who rationally decide to turn gay through an invention like this one... as more people decide to do this, there would be no rational reason not to do so, if one cared to fully engross themselves in fight for equality by playing on the other team. The only difference will be they will choose to be gay rather than a gay person choosing to be straight and may even achieve martyr status in making this sort of transformation ...this could be leveraged to bring greater political equality by leveling the playing field and balancing the numerical population of gays vs. homophobic straight people, who might otherwise vote against the best interest of one sexual orientation over the other. The only people who will probably be against the invention would probably be very backward people who are afraid of change.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:52 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,096,552 times
There are 50 shades of gay.

Meaning, that there is a huge continuum in 'gayness' and many different genes are involved in gay vs. straight. So why would anyone either want to or expect to be able to change this? Just let it be. There is nothing 'wrong' with being gay. Expecting gay people to act 'straight' just adds unnecesssary stress to everyone.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:36 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,833 times
The way science is going, I think it's possible. However I think we should have no say in that. I just think people should choose that on their own as they do now. How can we be so sure that what we choose/alter for them will be the right choice?

Old 01-18-2015, 01:27 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
I think it's in most cases grounded in an opposite-sex neurosis i.e. gays and lesbians relate neurotically to the opposite sex. (Transgenders relate neurotically to the same sex.)

Some people prefer the term 'affectional orientation' which I consider more accurate. I came up with the term independently and discovered that thousands of others had beaten me to it.

Neuroses are difficult to cure, but sometimes can be altered

Lesbians do not have a genetic aversion to males, that is learned behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates