Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 06:51 PM

10,348 posts, read 7,938,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I can go back to the 90s. Pediatricians used to have well and sick rooms for patients. Kids just coming in for routine checks up went to the well room. Kids who were sick went to the sick waiting room. What is wrong with that?
So an 8-month old with an earache and mild fever, who isn't immune to measles yet because he's too young to have completed the MMR series, gets to sit in the same "sick kids waiting room" as an unvaccinated 7 year old brought in for a fever and rash which turns out on examination to be measles. Yep, that sounds like a FINE waiting room arrangement to me!

Old 01-30-2015, 07:21 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,283,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
In my old days, it was not uncommon for a kid in a neighborhood to get measles or mumps and have the parents take a natural route. The mothers would gather other kids and expose them to the sick kid. It worked and was safer than a vaccine. No one died and natural immunities without formaldehyde and other chemicals weren't also pushed into children's bodies.
Your statement that "no one died" in the era when there was no measles vaccine is simply untrue. According to the CDC:
  • As many as one out of every 20 children with measles gets pneumonia, the most common cause of death from measles in young children.
  • About one child out of every 1,000 who get measles will develop encephalitis (swelling of the brain) that can lead to convulsions and can leave the child deaf or mentally retarded.
  • For every 1,000 children who get measles, one or two will die from it.
  • Measles | Complications | CDC
Thanks to the widespread use of the vaccine, measles were almost eliminated from the U.S. by 2000. Now the disease is back again. In many countries it never was eliminated. Worldwide 146,000 people die from the disease each year—that equals about 440 deaths every day or about 17 deaths every hour.

Personally, I don't want comparable numbers in our country ever again.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:42 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,514,478 times
Doctors do all kinds of things that many claim is against the hippocratic oath. That oath isn't the law. This is more than just about the doctor, what about the other patients? The doctors are right to get rid of patients who simply decide not to get immunized, there is no punishment involved. Not providing a service isn't punishment, go elsewhere.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:27 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,472,978 times
Quote:
In my old days, it was not uncommon for a kid in a neighborhood to get measles or mumps and have the parents take a natural route. The mothers would gather other kids and expose them to the sick kid. It worked and was safer than a vaccine. No one died and natural immunities without formaldehyde and other chemicals weren't also pushed into children's bodies.
Same with me, got the chicken pox from my brother who got it from the neighbor kid. I never got the mumps and my doctor suggested that I get immunized for mumps when I was 15 because it can cause sterility in males. I only had one flu shot two years ago when it was a bad year and that was because I live with person who easily gets the flu. The last time I had the flu was in 1996 and I got the whammy of all flu's, 104º, sick for ten days, lost 10 pounds, but I have not had the flu since and only a cold or two. Got that flu from a friends two little boys that were recovering from bad colds. But not all people are the same, some have strong constitutions and others have weak ones. I lined up like all the kids in school on vaccination day and got my shots, but none since 6th grade. Most people I know got the polio shot and reacted with a circle like dimpled area where the shot was. I got the shot and had no reaction, so may have had a natural immunity to both the mumps and polio. Our bodies learn from exposure whether from a vaccine or from the old school way of catching it from some else. I prefer the old school way.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:48 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,689,931 times
if they suspect the disease is contagious they should direct to hospital and call to notify them. No use endangering patients waiting to see you. I think most doctors have questions when people call to make appointments with many such outbreaks. before allowing to come into office.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:13 PM

10,348 posts, read 7,938,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
if they suspect the disease is contagious they should direct to hospital and call to notify them.
That sends 90% of the sick kids straight to the ER. Most sick children who are coming into the pediatrician's office are sick with something that's at least potentially contagious. But there's a big difference between sick with strep throat or Fifth's Disease and sick with measles or rubella.

And asking questions of the parent over the phone is of limited help, because these days most parents don't recognize the early symptoms of the most serious vaccine-preventable illnesses, because they've never seen a case. (Neither, for that matter, have most pediatricians.) "My kid is febrile and has a cough" covers a lot of ground; most of the time the disease causing that set of symptoms is going to be a mild respiratory infection - but those are also the very first symptoms of measles. (The rash comes much later.) "My toddler is coughing like crazy!" is usually croup, but of course it could be pertussis. All kinds of things cause mild rashes, including rubella. You get the idea.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:33 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,599,578 times
Quote:
145,000 people died of measles last year. Our neighbour was born deaf from Rubella. My uncle has post-polio syndrome.

My body is making more formaldehyde right now than is in any vaccine.

Quote:
Formaldehyde is a normal, essential human metabolite with a biological half-life of about 1.5 minutes (Clary and Sullivan 2001). It is endogenously produced and is involved with methylation reactions for and biosynthesis of some proteins and nucleic acids. It is also rapidly metabolised to formate and excreted in urine or to carbon dioxide and exhaled (WHO, 2006 and Clary and Sullivan 2001). Some common routes of exposure for exogenous formaldehyde include dermal, from occupational handling, inhalation, from occupational exposure and environment, oral via dietary intake and of course, intramuscularly or subcutaneously from vaccines. (Franks 2005, Clary and Sullivan 2001 and Inchem 1989).

Human normal blood concentrations of formaldehyde are 2.74 +/- 0.14 mg/L (Franks 2005). The average adult male (86 kg) in the U.S. has a blood volume of 5.8 litres; the average adult female (74 kg) has a blood volume of 5.0 litres and an average 2 month old infant (5 kg), 0.43 litres. So this translates to 15.1-16.7 mg of normal formaldehyde range in an adult male, 13.0-14.4 mg in an adult female and 1.1-1.2 mg in a 2 month-old infant which works out to be 0.22-0.24 mg/kg (CHOP 2008 and Franks 2005). Using the visual scale provided earlier for the infant, that would be a little more than 1 slice of American cheese/35 H2 Hummers.

The actual amount in vaccines is minuscule, even when considering an infant that receives the full CDC schedule. If you look at this table, it contains a list of vaccines and their final formaldehyde content. Not included in this table is Pentacel which contains 0.005mg of formaldehyde. If all vaccines are given as per the CDC recommendation and separately, the most a 2 month old infant would receive is 0.1204 mg of formaldehyde or 120.4 mcg. Going back to what normal formaldehyde levels for a 5kg, 2-month old infant are 1.1-1.2 mg or 0.22-0.24mg/kg so the total formaldehyde exposure from vaccines would raise that to 1.22-1.32 mg or raises the baseline level by less than 1 grain of sand/35 Hummers. Put another way, the amount contained within a vaccine is more than 50 times less than what is in a pear.
Natural immunity comes with the substantial risk of death or injury. Artificial immunity comes with the risk of a sore arm, a rash, and another sore arm in ten or so years.

Last edited by WildColonialGirl; 01-31-2015 at 07:44 AM..

Old 01-31-2015, 07:49 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,599,578 times
Roald Dahl wrote an account of his daughter Olivia's brush with this run of the mill childhood illness.

Quote:
As the illness took its usual course I can remember reading to her often in bed and not feeling particularly alarmed about it. Then one morning, when she was well on the road to recovery, I was sitting on her bed showing her how to fashion little animals out of coloured pipe-cleaners, and when it came to her turn to make one herself, I noticed that her fingers and her mind were not working together and she couldn’t do anything.

“Are you feeling all right?” I asked her.
“I feel all sleepy, ” she said.
In an hour, she was unconscious. In twelve hours she was dead.

The measles had turned into a terrible thing called measles encephalitis and there was nothing the doctors could do to save her.

That was twenty-four years ago in 1962, but even now, if a child with measles happens to develop the same deadly reaction from measles as Olivia did, there would still be nothing the doctors could do to help her.On the other hand, there is today something that parents can do to make sure that this sort of tragedy does not happen to a child of theirs. They can insist that their child is immunised against measles. I was unable to do that for Olivia in 1962 because in those days a reliable measles vaccine had not been discovered. Today a good and safe vaccine is available to every family and all you have to do is to ask your doctor to administer it.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:12 AM

781 posts, read 741,144 times
I am glad to hear that some pediatricians are refusing to treat children who are not vaccinated. Unfortunately, I think urgent care is a different situation.

Last edited by Fiona8484; 01-31-2015 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 01-31-2015, 08:23 AM

24,343 posts, read 17,072,043 times
A Doctor should have the choice to refuse care but most don't. My sisters doctor is always on her to stop smoking because of her health issues but she doesn't and he keeps telling her to stop. I cna imagine lots of doctors go through the same thing with many of their patients where their advice goes in one ear an out the other.
Eat better, get some exercise most of us hear it and most know what we should do but not many heed it.

Of course kids have no choice in the matter but if parents have a real concern for their childs welfare then what can anyone do? denying care is not a good policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates