Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 07:49 AM

42 posts, read 64,267 times

Advertisements

I saw a video on how accents in the United States, and eventually general american will be the only dialect used. And how the United States embraces the "melting pot"

Meanwhile, I saw something on how Toronto is the most diverse city in the world. Also, Canada is a bilingual country. While they embrace the "salad bowl"

This got me thinking if the United States is on track to becoming a completely homogenous country in a cultural sense. While other countries embrace heterogenous culture.

If that was the case, I would find it a boring existence personally and that would make me sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 08:49 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genealogytime View Post
I saw a video on how accents in the United States, and eventually general american will be the only dialect used. And how the United States embraces the "melting pot"
I don't think this is true. Certain accents are getting milder over time, particularly some of the big city accents in the Northeast. However, other accents are getting stronger over time, like those in the Upper Midwest, which are undergoing the Northern Cites Vowel Shift.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:11 AM

645 posts, read 835,391 times
Toronto is really really diverse. And quite simply an amazing city. The hustle and bustle, the crowded trains during office hours, is just too good to ignore! Loved my stay there. Miss it actually.

About the dialect, don't think the Brits, Aussies, South Africans would want to use it.

In this modern day of cross mingling and as long as the borders are open, almost most countries are homogeneous at least in the big cities. Whether its accepted or not, is a different issue.

Don't go by watching videos, be there and experience it first hand. Videos/short films/docs always sugar coat or throw the kitchen sink if needed.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:25 AM

42 posts, read 64,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I don't think this is true. Certain accents are getting milder over time, particularly some of the big city accents in the Northeast. However, other accents are getting stronger over time, like those in the Upper Midwest, which are undergoing the Northern Cites Vowel Shift.
Explain the vowel shift to me in laymans terms. I've tried reading about it, and don't get it.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:20 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genealogytime View Post
Explain the vowel shift to me in laymans terms. I've tried reading about it, and don't get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3noS_0IdrRo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UoJ1-ZGb1w

Old 02-05-2015, 11:42 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
I like to think this is happening all over the world and we (over here in the Western Hemisphere) have a head start.

Today you already see people of all different skin colors going about their life, mingling together, all sharing the same culture and speaking with a general American accent.
I think Brazil is a good indicator of what we will be like (as in demographics)

Old 02-05-2015, 11:45 AM

545 posts, read 1,100,830 times
i think so. i mean look at eastern PA, Florida, and now even north carolina. so many new yorker/new jerseyans are moving here that these places are beginning to feel a lot more like the tri state area. similarly, californians are moving to arizona, seattle, etc. people move around over time. and now that humans are more mobile then ever, we will continue to shift around much more quickly, wherever the jobs are, the nice weather, etc. people aren't local to a region anymore like 50 years ago.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:47 AM

270 posts, read 838,279 times
I think the real intermixing of society will happen when racially dominated neighborhoods start integrating. In some places this has already happened, and others there is a long way to grow. But it's pretty hard to maintain racial divisions if the entire block has people of every background.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:48 AM

676 posts, read 989,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I like to think this is happening all over the world and we (over here in the Western Hemisphere) have a head start.

Today you already see people of all different skin colors going about their life, mingling together, all sharing the same culture and speaking with a general American accent.
I think Brazil is a good indicator of what we will be like (as in demographics)
do you not realise that Brazil is one of the most segregated countries in the world ?

white people make up the majority in the south which is rich and developed and multiracial people make up the majority in the north which is poor and underdeveloped, the middle and upper class is also much whiter than the lower class in Brazil

Old 02-05-2015, 11:53 AM

645 posts, read 835,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
i think so. i mean look at eastern PA, Florida, and now even north carolina. so many new yorker/new jerseyans are moving here that these places are beginning to feel a lot more like the tri state area. similarly, californians are moving to arizona, seattle, etc. people move around over time. and now that humans are more mobile then ever, we will continue to shift around much more quickly, wherever the jobs are, the nice weather, etc. people aren't local to a region anymore like 50 years ago.
I think the OP was more talking about the global influence rather people moving around in their own countries.

Roads/Flights and accessibility has made this possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates