Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 07:54 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Sorry, but I have to laugh at that list.

I'm a male surrounded by incredibly talented, intelligent, and successful women. The problem with generalizations - they are generally wrong. I'm also surrounded by successful males, so don't go down that path .
IMO the list is correct. While there are increasing numbers of talented, intelligent, and successful women filling careers in high end professional, technical and now more STEM fields it is still not on the level as those held by men and more importantly generally women no matter what her job is will accept lower paying positions or part time because she is generally the one who will need flexible hours for the time off work for pregnancy and delivery, doctor visits, sick leave and overall care of the children and even to an extent to care for sick/elderly parents or other family members. This leads to fewer or no promotions and less overall pay.

Of course this is does not hold true for those women who do not have families. So it is basically the single and childfree women who direct competition with men for the equal pay scale.
Married women with a working spouse can certainly stand the hit in earnings but then there is the other group, divorced and widowed women. I can not comprehend how gender inequality in the workplace i.e. lower pay and limited job opportunities for single women, single mothers, divorced women and widows could have anything but a negative effect on society both financially and otherwise. Taxpayers would have to take up the slack financially. Think the number of single parent households on government assistance under the poverty level is bad now it would be far worse it those single parents lost their ability to earn a decent wage and support their families.

Aside from the negative financial impact the unfounded discrimination and oppression of half the population would cause quite the social discord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 10:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Sorry, but I have to laugh at that list.
Laugh all you want, your personal experinces are irrelevant. That list is in regards to national averages when comparing the entire population of men and women. For example computer science is and has been a booming field for decades but less that 20% of computer science degrees are awarded to women. How many men takes years off of work to raise children? Not many but there is certainly a lot of women doing it. This is going to be the primary reason women have less experience.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:43 PM

126 posts, read 483,057 times
Ignorant, sexist men make me laugh with all their anecdotal "evidence".

The good news is that, like it or not, society is evolving and in future generations, women will enjoy full equality.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewhann View Post
Ignorant, sexist men make me laugh with all their anecdotal "evidence".
Facts aren't sexist, they are what they. Look at the graphs on this page, tell me what you see.

Why Women (Like Me) Choose Lower-Paying Jobs : Planet Money : NPR

I'll tellyou what I see, taking a rough guess women account for about 20% in the most lucrative majors and 75% in the least lucrative. Furthermore as noted in the article even when they attain a degree that can pay well they often opt for lower paying jobs like teaching.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:53 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
I do not think people REALLY think this through.

Many women today are single moms who HAVE to work.
Plus,how many married people actually STAY married? less than 50%.

I do not want to end up like some married women who basically did not work,husband dumped them for a younger woman and now the porr ex-wife has no skills to land a high paying job.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:38 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
My personal opinion is that women's equality in the work place has been bad. First, its had a very negative effect on family life, and the children end up neglected. Second, I've seen and heard about a lot of women supervisors. Frankly, many of them are terrible. Some have been very good, but far too many women I know of should never been given the jobs they have. They're either bullies, who must have every order they give never even questioned, or they're completely unable to discipline employees, and make them do they job they were hired to do.

My wife works in a job where the employees and supervisor constantly have family and personal reasons for not being at work, going home early on a daily basis, yet they are paid for working a full 40 hrs. Some don't show up till 9 and are out the door by 3 because they have to pick up their children from school.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:37 AM

202 posts, read 265,175 times
I agree with another poster on here that people aren't thinking this through. Why make the assumption that all women are married? Plenty of single moms, windowed, divorced, etc. out there who have to work. Also, some people love their fields and see work more than just an economic chore.

STEM fields are male dominated. However, other professional fields like nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech pathology, pharmacy, and physician assistant are female majority which are all high five figure to six figure paying careers.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:06 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I think women are the equal to or even better than men in many ways and should receive equal pay and benefits in a business setting.

The only detriment to society I see is that many of those career women either do not have babies or they put it off until later in life. This is a generalisation but when you have an educated woman who goes to college, gets a nice job and doesn't have kids the overall gene pool of America is losing out in the long run. Many poor uneducated women who don't go to school or have the ability to get a good job go ahead and have babies instead. This could be a personal choice or one that is made for them by their socio/ economic status.
Once again this is a broad statement but the not so bright women are having multiple babies while the smart women are not. That does not bode well for the future of our country.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post
Why make the assumption that all women are married?
I'm certainly not. The point is that "76% of what men make" you hear repeated so often is an average of the entire population of women. That would include many women who put their careers on hold completely, may not take on more responsibility which requires more time or may be forced into flexible lower paying part time jobs so they can raise children. When they reach the age of retirement they are going to have years less experience.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:23 AM

202 posts, read 265,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm certainly not. The point is that "76% of what men make" you hear repeated so often is an average of the entire population of women. That would include many women who put their careers on hold completely, may not take on more responsibility which requires more time or may be forced into flexible lower paying part time jobs so they can raise children. When they reach the age of retirement they are going to have years less experience.
But not all careers are the same. From what I said before, women dominate many of the health professions which offer flexibility or part-time work, with still having good pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates