Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 11:10 AM

593 posts, read 667,678 times

Advertisements

Let me start off by first saying that I am all for helping those with true disabilities and injuries with no strings attached. Let me also say that I am all for helping the poor get to a better place. With that said, why is that our social programs generally come with no strings attached? Everyday you see perfectly able, lazy, uneducated people living in government housing just sitting back and collecting a check. Why have we stooped so low as a country that we think these people have a right to that housing and assistance?

IMO it would make more sense to have mandatory stipulation to receive this money such as job training classes, education (FREE optional community college and mandatory GED requirements), or even community service. Something to make those who choose to be lazy work for their money like the rest of us. The problem with our system is we do not provide enough incentive to better yourself. Living on assistance may not be luxurious in any way, but based on what i have seen all across America, many people are still OK with it simply because their basic needs are met for doing nothing. Why is it morally or socially wrong to leave someone who is perfectly able to work and contribute to society homeless because they choose not only not to work, but also choose not to strive to achieve more?

America has turned into a nanny state where everyone is entitled to a comfortable life with limited luxuries such as a cell phone regardless of what they contribute. I am sick of paying taxes so some lady with 5 kids from 5 guys by age 22 can sit at home and talk about how society holds them down while smoking Newport's and watching a 45 inch flat-screen. We need to institute consequences for poor life choices and stop believing everyone has a right to be taken care of.

MODERATOR NOTE: Please read post #10 before posting in this thread

Last edited by Oldhag1; 02-23-2015 at 07:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 12:53 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
I agree! The saying, "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day....TEACH a man to fish, and he'll eat for a lifetime" is so true.

Welfare should NOT be for life. It's a 'hand up"...not a 'hand out".....

That's why I feel the government should totally get out of the "helping" business. Let private charities handle this...they do it well, in a less wasteful way, and are small enough to help only those who REALLY need it...but not those who simply want it.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:01 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
Are you aware of how much "welfare" you are receiving and arent even aware of it? Do you get tax credits? Deductions? Were you in the armed forces? Do you have a government job? Did you buy meat that was grown with federal subsidies? Does your job exist because of Federal grants? Do you work for a DOD contractor or supplier?

A lot of people that are against government assistance are quite naive to the fact that they still get government "help" in one way or another.

MODERATOR NOTE: Please read post #10 before responding to this post

Last edited by Oldhag1; 02-23-2015 at 05:25 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 02:05 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Are you aware of how much "welfare" you are receiving and arent even aware of it? Do you get tax credits? Deductions? Were you in the armed forces? Do you have a government job? Did you buy meat that was grown with federal subsidies? Does your job exist because of Federal grants? Do you work for a DOD contractor or supplier?

A lot of people that are against government assistance are quite naive to the fact that they still get government "help" in one way or another.

all those things besides deductions either take money ( you don't get free govt beef) or you actually earn them. A govt job is not welfare, military is not welfare, the grants and contractors are proving a service so again its not welfare.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 02-23-2015 at 05:26 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:

This isn't about tax deductions and WORKING for the government, which no i don't. This is about sitting on your Moderator cut: language at home collecting free money. This is about being on food stamps and Obama phones watching your flat-screen while not even considering looking for a job. This is about having an extra kid so you get more benefits. I genuinely appreciate your response, and yes in some ways i get what your saying, but you still missed the entire point.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 02-23-2015 at 05:27 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 02:11 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:

There's no shortage of people getting elected to office by railing against the 'takers', while also receiving nice fat farm subsidies or who accumulated vast amounts of wealth when their companies received hefty no-bid federal contracts.

But people who get all bent over a single mother collecting a welfare check can hardly suppress their yawns when you bring up some Congresscritter for whom they vote time after time getting a six-figure subsidy on a routine basis. Oh, they might eventually agree that such subsies are not right, but when their venting their spleen unprompted they will never point their finger in that direction - it will always be at the [obvious subtext: lazy, irresponsible] single mother.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 02-23-2015 at 05:28 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 03:35 PM

Here's an idea. Make welfare for able bodied normal people just like student loans. Non dischargeable debt that sticks through bankruptcy with discharge clauses for meeting certain requirements. Call me what you want but it's pretty Moderator cut: language I'm paying back 50k in loans with interest for bettering myself while people are living debt free off the gubament. I'm not complaining abt paying back loans, I took them. I'm complaining abt living in a society that provides many no incentive to better themselve. If I lost my job today I promise you I would be hitting every job opening site non stop until I got a new one.

Also, you can say I am picking on single moms, that isn't my goal. I'm picking on people who make poor choices consistently because they know they will be taken care of. There is no reason any teenager or 21 year old should have multiple kids. Try contraception or maybe even closing your legs.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 02-23-2015 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: If you have to alter a word to get it past our filters you are not allowed to use it.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:36 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
I am not on welfare and don't necessarily think it's a great thing... However there are ALOT of us and not that many jobs. In some parts of the country there are 1000's of apps for minimum wage jobs. Yes, you can start your own business, but not everyone is capable of that. I would say a decent number of people on welfare would like to have a job and feel important, but when you can't even get hired at McDonalds, what are you supposed to do? There are definitely some "useless eaters" out there as well that abuse the system no doubt. I think the welfare problem will only get worse as time goes on. There are more of us and less jobs available everyday. Not to mention our porous border.

I would propose reinstating some sort of work program like CCC again instead of just handing out money. Maybe we could think of something for them to actually DO. What do you propose, kill them off?

I'm really torn on this issue. Moochers annoy me as much as the next guy, but are there enough jobs to go around? I would like to see some sort of welfare program where you actually have to do something to get the free money. Even something simple as completing so many community service hours per month for your check. We could have them cleaning parks, painting over graffiti, cleaning the sides of roads and other public places. This would give them something to do and provide a value to the community at large, and hopefully motivate them to better themselves. Maybe it's not the best idea, but it beats just handing the money over.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:15 PM

Your 100% correct, I know there is a shortage of jobs in some areas. I feel for those people, I really do. They cannot pick up and move to an area with jobs without money. We most definitely should not kill them off lol. I just want to see them work for money. community service, volunteer,, ect.

I realize some people need welfare. I'm not against having welfare, I'm against having a system that is so widely abused. I work downtown and the first of the month makes me sick. People lined up to cash checks bragging about how they got more and how to do it. Literally lines out of the liquor, beer, cigarette store. This is what passes me off so much. the fact of the matter is any time you give away no strings attached free money, it will be abused.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:24 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
The working definition for welfare for the purpose of this thread will be funds given to provide support or a safety net to individuals. The topic of this thread is NOT about government funded programs other than those used to provide support to INDIVIDUALS. If you want to discuss funds given to entities or what constitutes welfare you need to start a new thread with that as the topic. Any future posts in this thread that do so will be deleted as thread hijacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates