Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 02:22 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
Not to mention when the federal government passes huge legislation like Obamacare or the Americans with Disabilities Act is the fact the federal government passes these laws and then tells the states to "figure it out" on how to pay for these programs. States can't print money and so you get higher taxes and cuts in state programs so they can afford these type of programs. The devil is really in the details here. To be fair both Republican and Democrat Presidents and Congresses controlled by both parties have done this. You can't run a country like the United States as unitary nation you got run it as a federation. That means powers between the federal government and the state governments and not just the federal government getting it's way all the time.

Does the federal government always force the state to pay for their new laws? In the issue of Medicaid expansion which is part of Obamacare the federal government is helping to pay for it. Do they ever find a way to help to pay for other legislation as well? I really do need to research this further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 02:44 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,557,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Does the federal government always force the state to pay for their new laws?
Pretty much. The federal government only kicks in a percentage and expects states to foot the rest of the bill.

Quote:
In the issue of Medicaid expansion which is part of Obamacare the federal government is helping to pay for it. Do they ever find a way to help to pay for other legislation as well? I really do need to research this further.

Yes you really do need to research this further to be honest. Taking a state and local government politics course at a local community college would explain this in much better detail and they will provide examples of the federal government forcing states to pay for there legislation. The state and local government course explains why there are political differences between different regions of the country. Not just red vs blue explanations commonly given on city data but actual real differing reasons why people vote democrat in different areas as well as why people in different areas vote republican.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:02 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
Pretty much. The federal government only kicks in a percentage and expects states to foot the rest of the bill.

Yes you really do need to research this further to be honest. Taking a state and local government politics course at a local community college would explain this in much better detail and they will provide examples of the federal government forcing states to pay for there legislation. The state and local government course explains why there are political differences between different regions of the country. Not just red vs blue explanations commonly given on city data but actual real differing reasons why people vote democrat in different areas as well as why people in different areas vote republican.

I was hoping to do research online or at the library, no funds for college at this time unless President Obama is able to keep his promise to make college free .

I tried to research my other question about state nullification of the rulings of the Supreme Court. I was wondering how far Alabama may be prepared to take their refusal to allow gay marriage in their state.

Apparently former Governor and fox news talk show host Mike Huckabee is calling for just that. He seems to feel states should nullify and refuse to endorse same sex marriage if the Supreme Court rules in favor of it. What happens then the president orders troops to the south to force gay marriages to take place?

Nullification, Now Coming to the Supreme Court? - The Atlantic

And in Missouri they tried to pass a bill nullifying any disliked federal gun laws it passed the state senate and house but was then vetoed by the governor, but the next year Missouri voters passed a similar amendment that would nullify federal gun laws in their state. I do not know what will happen if this state law is put to a federal test?

Missouri lawmakers fail to override governor's gun bill veto - CNN.com

Landslide Victory: First step to gun control nullification in Missouri | Tenth Amendment Center Blog

Also wondering what will happen with Obamacare rulings coming soon since some states have been so strongly against it?

http://www.nationaljournal.com/healt...cotus-20150302

And I found this article that many states are considering all kinds of laws that would sidestep or outright nullify many federal laws. Currently there are more than 200 pieces of legislation of this type right now.

http://rt.com/usa/231051-nullificati...s-regulations/

Last edited by vanguardisle; 03-07-2015 at 06:19 PM..

Old 03-07-2015, 07:48 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,114 times
State differences will matter less in the future.
The big difference will be between different MSAs. They will effectively become "city states" if they haven't already.

Last edited by tjasse; 03-07-2015 at 08:48 PM..

Old 03-07-2015, 09:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Does the federal government always force the state to pay for their new laws? In the issue of Medicaid expansion which is part of Obamacare the federal government is helping to pay for it. Do they ever find a way to help to pay for other legislation as well? I really do need to research this further.
The increase in Medicaid increase is fully paid by Fed government until 2017 at which time the states take over their part of the increase. They then threatened that all Fed Medicaid funding might be cut until Supreme court ruled they couldn't do that. Right now they could for instance withhold federal law enforcement grants unless they comply with marijuana federal law. Just has they do with highway funding on seat belts etc. Obama has said he wouldn't do that; but he or next could.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:10 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
The difference between the us and eu to me is that eu has sovereign countries and no federal government. So the eu is the gop's ideal country.

I hope the states learn that they cant keep ignoring federal laws becuase they dont like it. Obamacare, immigration, and such

Old 03-07-2015, 10:36 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,557,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
The difference between the us and eu to me is that eu has sovereign countries and no federal government. So the eu is the gop's ideal country.

I hope the states learn that they cant keep ignoring federal laws becuase they dont like it. Obamacare, immigration, and such
You got things backwards. The EU is what the United States was under the Articles of Confederation just way way way more bureaucratic.

I doubt the GOP's ideal form of government is the EU since it's also heavily bureaucratic and tons of laws are passed in the EU regularly that effect all member countries.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:33 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I support the 10th an 11th amendments to the fullest extent...With more state rights there is more freedom. If you do not like the gun laws, pot laws, are taxed too much you can get up in move to another state of your choosing. Where if we have a federal gvt deciding every issue you are trapped like a rat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Differing laws allow people to "vote with their feet."
That's the advantage of the United States of America.
Imposition of national laws will eradicate that choice.
^ These are both right.

I recently moved from one state to another to avoid various negative conditions in my prior state. I had to wait till I retired to do so. But it was worth the wait, and we are much happier here. Thank goodness we still have a (little bit) of choice in this country!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-08-2015 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Removed icon

Old 03-12-2015, 12:49 PM

994 posts, read 1,591,969 times
THere has always been some sort of rivalry between the states. Remember, most of the states west of the Appalachian Mountains didn't join the USA by choice. The differences between the states however has been magnified in the last 30 years or so due to all the polarization. Furthermore, you have a situation where someone who lives in the Northeast but hates it there and wants to go to the old South is more likely to do so today vs. 30 or more years ago due to people not being tied to their communities as before. That's probably why the political rhetoric is more harsh today in comparison to 30 years ago; why get along in a state when you don't have to stay there?

Old 03-12-2015, 12:55 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,216,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
THere has always been some sort of rivalry between the states. Remember, most of the states west of the Appalachian Mountains didn't join the USA by choice. The differences between the states however has been magnified in the last 30 years or so due to all the polarization. Furthermore, you have a situation where someone who lives in the Northeast but hates it there and wants to go to the old South is more likely to do so today vs. 30 or more years ago due to people not being tied to their communities as before. That's probably why the political rhetoric is more harsh today in comparison to 30 years ago; why get along in a state when you don't have to stay there?

I must disagree with the polarization "as a new phenomenon." It's not new. Southern states have always been "different." What the southern states have been able to do is up their game a little by securing manufacturing. Read the "Southern Strategy" and see if any of it resembles the Southern states today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates