Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 09:35 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,996,029 times

Advertisements

I just wish they would leave the time alone period and let us all just live with it . I hate dst obviously right ? I still hate it .

Old 03-09-2015, 09:44 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,165,382 times
I don't like the change. I wish they'd leave it like it is now - so it gets dark later. I live for summer days when it stays light till 9:00 pm. Leave it on daylight savings time and get rid of standard time!

I was under the impression that part of the reason they changed the time was so kids weren't going to school in the dark in the fall/winter. In the 70s when I was in school that's what they talked about a lot. I still think we should keep it like it is and not move clocks back an hour.

Last edited by luzianne; 03-09-2015 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-09-2015, 09:47 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,771,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I like it, can't wait for baseball to start, with first few innings played with natural light..at night.
Baseball should be played in natural daylight.

Perhaps MLB should move to Alaska in the summer, and you could follow them to get your daylight games.

In the meantime, I will attend the Weds, Sat, and Sun matinees

Old 03-09-2015, 10:00 AM

29,675 posts, read 34,190,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
I think it is super inconvenient. Unless someone has solid concret evidence supporting at as environmentally friendly, I am against it.
It probably did conserve energy when people were using oil lamps and candles or when the electrical infrastructure was more primitive, but most Americans in the summer have their ACs blasting and their computers charging and their TVs on all day. I can't imagine that sunset being at 9 vs at 8 is much of a difference.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:01 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,771,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't like the change. I wish they'd leave it like it is now - so it gets dark later. I live for summer days when it stays light till 9:00 pm. Leave it on daylight savings time and get rid of standard time!

I was under the impression that part of the reason they changed the time was so kids weren't going to school in the dark. In the 70s when I was in school that's what they talked about a lot. I still we should keep it like it is and not move clocks back an hour.
So move to Alaska in the summer and Tierra Del Fuego in the winter

You confuse a couple of things. In the 70's the liberal left promulgated this myth that daylight saving time saved energy. EVERY study at the time said otherwise. In the 70's we moved the clocks ahead two hours and yes children were walking to school in the dark. That was why the people rose up and demanded the 2 hour forward nonsense stop.

Today, as I write, dawn occurs an hour later according to the clock. Study after study says that the way things are leads to more traffic accidents, if nothing else. Others have posted other side effects.

The fact is that a very selfish special interest group, using environmentalist nonsense about supposed energy savings, imposes yet more idiocy on the rest of us. Just like plastic bag bans.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:11 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,243,311 times
No need for it anymore. Not sure that a need ever existed. If the need did exist in the lower 48 why in the world does Alaska need to take part. Hawaii, Arizona, Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and many nations around the world do not use it. I like it just the way it is now. I hate when they turn the clock back an hour. Just leave it alone from now on out.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:34 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,918,608 times
I am amazed that so many people are enslaved by their clocks!
If one does not like DST, there is no requirement that they use it.
Just don't adjust your clocks. Keep Standard Time all year, and adjust your schedule to compensate. If you normally have to be at work at 0800, now you have to be there at 0700. If your work day normally ends at 1730, now it will end at 1630.
If you normally get up at sunrise, continue to do so. What does it matter what the damfool clock says? If you normally go to bed at sunset, continue to do so.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:48 AM

13,380 posts, read 28,638,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
So move to Alaska in the summer and Tierra Del Fuego in the winter

You confuse a couple of things. In the 70's the liberal left promulgated this myth that daylight saving time saved energy. EVERY study at the time said otherwise. In the 70's we moved the clocks ahead two hours and yes children were walking to school in the dark. That was why the people rose up and demanded the 2 hour forward nonsense stop.

Today, as I write, dawn occurs an hour later according to the clock. Study after study says that the way things are leads to more traffic accidents, if nothing else. Others have posted other side effects.

The fact is that a very selfish special interest group, using environmentalist nonsense about supposed energy savings, imposes yet more idiocy on the rest of us. Just like plastic bag bans.
Clocks were never set 2 hours ahead and then fall back two. At least not in the USA

Old 03-09-2015, 11:45 AM

18,056 posts, read 25,139,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I am amazed that so many people are enslaved by their clocks!
If one does not like DST, there is no requirement that they use it.
Just don't adjust your clocks. Keep Standard Time all year, and adjust your schedule to compensate. If you normally have to be at work at 0800, now you have to be there at 0700. If your work day normally ends at 1730, now it will end at 1630.
If you normally get up at sunrise, continue to do so. What does it matter what the damfool clock says? If you normally go to bed at sunset, continue to do so.
What's the point of having clocks if they don't have the right time?

Old 03-09-2015, 11:48 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,533,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
If you lived in a place where it is observed, hopefully you changed your clock last night. By springing forward, you might have lost an hour of sleep in the process. But that will be remedied in the fall when you change back.

Do you like changing the clock twice a year? Are you a fan of the time adjustments we make in spring and fall, or would you rather have one consistent time all year round?
I do not like it. What is so bad about there being less daylight anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates