U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:39 AM
(-) (-) started this thread

690 posts, read 1,590,232 times

Advertisements

scenario: child is born, before dad signs affidavit of parentage, should there be some sort of mandatory paternity testing? i've seen or heard about way too many cases of men signing aop's only to find out 5 and 18 years later that the child was not theirs.
you would think that women would be honest and upfront and let a guy know if she's been sleeping around and having unprotected sex with more than one guy but i guess shame beats responsibility.
i know if a married woman has slept around and has gotten pregnant by another man, in most states, the husband is automatically assumed to be the father and must pay child support. it's basically rewarding the wife for her infidelity. seems like an easy solution to all of this would just be to make paternity testing mandatory. no need to collect blood samples now days since cheek swabs for dna are 99.99% effective and less intrusive.
think it would be great to at least give the guy the option of raising a child he knows isn't his biologically rather than having both him and the child crushed emotionally later on down the road once the secret gets out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 06:19 PM

2,107 posts, read 1,992,556 times
Or course paternity testing should be mandatory if only for the health of the baby. Good God, how can so many woman only think of themselves??? It's disgusting. Nothing to hide, who cares? But facts are half the a baby's genetic sequence comes from the father. That information is critically needed in tracing diseases/syndromes and enacting early preventative measures later on in life.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:00 PM

15,823 posts, read 8,817,679 times
I'm not thinking of myself when I express concern about how that information might be used in the future. As my children's father of record, my husband is fully within his rights to pursue private paternity testing any time he wishes. But for our state or federal government to make such testing mandatory? Absolutely not. I will never agree that my children's DNA should be collected by a public entity without their explicit permission.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:46 PM

54 posts, read 44,262 times
Yes, it should be mandatory. Statistics show an alarmingly high rate of cheating mothers. The man could be paying for someone elses kids for the next 18 years and never knowing his woman is a cheater. What a terrible thing it is...

Old 03-08-2015, 08:00 PM

If you are the father of record, you are already have the right to pursue private paternity testing if you have doubts about the honesty of your partner. Why on earth does it need to be mandated? Are you incapable of calling a lab and arranging the test yourself?

Furthermore, are you really comfortable with having no choice about your DNA being turned over to a government entity should paternity testing become mandatory? Gee, what could possibly go wrong there? Think, gentlemen!

Last edited by randomparent; 03-08-2015 at 08:15 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 10:51 PM

The research shows that up to 15-20% of children are not created from the bf/fiance/husband, but of the man whom the woman was cheating with. I didn't say anyone had to like the facts, but they do have to come to terms with it to form a logical thought.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-12-2015 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: Removed non moved quote

Old 03-08-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingButTheTruth2015 View Post
The research shows that up to 15-20% of children are not created from the bf/fiance/husband, but of the man whom the woman was cheating with. I didn't say anyone had to like the facts, but they do have to come to terms with it to form a logical thought.
That's not what the cited research indicated. Read it again. And I'm sorry, but you do not get to add my children's DNA to some huge government database for God knows what future purpose without their explicit permission or a court order. And if you were thinking beyond the end of your nose, you wouldn't be so quick to hand yours over either. If you doubt your partner's honesty, call a lab yourself and have the test done privately, but don't even think about making it mandatory for everyone. I am not interested.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
That's not what the cited research indicated. Read it again. And I'm sorry, but you do not get to add my children's DNA to some huge government database for God knows what future purpose without their explicit permission or a court order. And if you were thinking beyond the end of your nose, you wouldn't be so quick to hand yours over either. If you doubt your partner's honesty, call a lab yourself and have the test done privately, but don't even think about making it mandatory for everyone. I am not interested.
Bit of a conspiracy theorist? Everyone else forces their agenda onto people, so I should get mine as well. Equal rights, remember?

Old 03-09-2015, 12:26 PM

20,088 posts, read 20,565,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Or course paternity testing should be mandatory if only for the health of the baby. Good God, how can so many woman only think of themselves??? It's disgusting. Nothing to hide, who cares? But facts are half the a baby's genetic sequence comes from the father. That information is critically needed in tracing diseases/syndromes and enacting early preventative measures later on in life.
what now?
Paternal DNA sequencing is critical for the health of babies?
Granted, prenatal DNA sequencing is becoming more the norm, it wouldn't call it critical, researchers at Stanford have now been able to sequence fetal exome with only the mothers blood eliminating the need for fathers DNA for many genetic tests.

Let me ask you this, if the situation exists that the father is not around/present at birth how are they going to obtain a DNA sample? If the father is unsure of paternity he is free to have a test done. So why would it mandatory and how would authorities obtain a sample of an unknown/absent father?

Old 03-11-2015, 12:28 AM

367 posts, read 592,062 times
Yes, but no lawmaker would pass such a law, as they'd probably lose the female vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates