Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 04:24 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times

Advertisements

I realize racism is alive and well in this country but I also know racism is an issue for all races. Before retiring from a career in police work near DC I saw plenty of cases of racism in the black, brown, yellow, white and any color you can think if. We had a black robbery suspect admit that the black community (the bad ones that is) that the hispanics were called "walking ATM's) which would explain the constant street robberies.

But my concern is that the quite often "Black Lives Matter" thing will eventually backfire and turn many in the white community completely off. We already know that the fringe element in the white community are already turned off by it but with race baiters like Al Sharpton I can see this getting worse. Whenever a white police officer shoots and kills a black person the protests and/or riots seem automatic. Let a black police officer shoot and kill a white person and barely a ripple is heard.

So are the members of the black community concerned at all about this?

MODERATOR NOTE: This is a second attempt at this thread. Please keep in mind that Great Debates has stringent parameters for what constitutes on/off topic posts. The topic of this thread is the "Black Lives Matter" slogan and whether or not that slogan will create further problems. The topic is not racism in general, specific incidents other than in direct reference to the slogan, politics, or anything else that is not directly related to the title of this thread. Any off topic posts will be deleted. And just a reminder - This is a debate forum, generally 1-2 sentence statements are not allowed

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-12-2015 at 12:18 AM..

Old 03-10-2015, 05:03 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,075 times
Yes, a LOT of people in this forum forget that prejudice goes in MANY directions, not just from white to non-white. BUT it is only the from white to non-white they are concerned with. It is politically correct and en vogue to be anti-white these days. The "Black Lives matter" is already turning off all but the hard-core left it seems. The current shootings are very tragic for sure BUT, you never see anything except white-on-black shootings profiled and I am sure other types occur. It is just that to the hardcore left and the media the white-on-black shootings are the only newsworthy ones. According to their agenda. And people are getting fatigued with it all. In the most recent one family members of the deceased expressed that they did not want to see another Ferguson.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:05 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,306 times
I think the racism card has been so overplayed at this point, that yes, I believe people are starting to tune it out.

The "Blacklivesmatter" meme is a completely false narrative about police brutality and the mis-use of lethal force against the black community came about because the press misreported the case of a criminal arrest (the Michael Brown case) that resulted in the perps death. AG Holder admitted as much in his presser that he would not pursue charges because the evidence exhonerated the officer and confirmed his account of the event in the case.

Celebs and NFL players walking around with their "hands up" demonstrates that these people are either stupid, willfully ignorant, or have no respect for the truth.

If the problem of racism and police killing people based simply on their race is SO large a problem, and SO common, how come they had to settle for Michael Brown as the poster child? Surely there are scores of better, more sympathetic characters out there; but for some reason the "choir boy, who never did anything wrong, or anything like this before" in these cases keeps turning out to be a "thug" with a significant juvenile record that often includes several violent crimes.

That doesn't even get at the "race crimes" on university campuses that keep turning out to be perpetrated by the "victim." It makes it tough to feel sympathetic to the plight of these kids that keep perpetrating hoaxes because of these severe race problems on there campus that are so common that they have to do it themselves to find an example of racism and bigotry.

Do we have a ways to go? Sure, just look at what happened at OU (real bigotry). Are we dealing with it? Sure, just look at what happened at OU (White people in power crushing the Frat and the perps).

Old 03-10-2015, 06:53 PM

105 posts, read 169,589 times
I personally do not care for the "Black Lives Matter" chant. My reasoning is that if they truly cared about black lives than they would protest blacks killing blacks and not the the few times a few criminal thugs get wasted because they did not follow a cop's instructions and got aggressive. To me a criminal of any race that does not follow police instructions and attacks them deserves to be dealt with.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:45 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times
To me, the chants and the "complaining" about racism aren't going to get people who need to change to change. If you really want long lasting change, the time is now to look in the mirror and make that change and better yourself. Pull up your pants and become the race that commits the least amount of crimes and the race that works the hardest and maybe that will get the racists to soften their stance a bit.

Demanding people to do this and to do that isn't going to get people to want to move forward, its only going to drive them farther away.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:01 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,793,716 times
If it doesn't, "hands up don't shoot" certainly will. Especially since it's been exposed as a lie.

Of course black live matters. Someone should tell all the blacks who are busily killing other blacks. Whites seem to have gotten the message.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:02 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNHot75 View Post
I personally do not care for the "Black Lives Matter" chant. My reasoning is that if they truly cared about black lives than they would protest blacks killing blacks and not the the few times a few criminal thugs get wasted because they did not follow a cop's instructions and got aggressive. To me a criminal of any race that does not follow police instructions and attacks them deserves to be dealt with.
I think along the lines of the above post. I see that the US is always so darn concerned about violence against this one, that one and yet another one, but we have violence in our own communities that needs to be dealt with. It kind of sends a message that "Black lives Don't Matter".

I remember once when that rich white girl disappeared on her graduation trip to an island, Natalie somebody. That was in the news forever and then there was some ruckus and they did a story on a black girl that had also disappeared whose family were desperately trying to find her. Racism is sort of lop-sided in the US as is economic class as far as who matters here.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:04 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,128 times
What people seem to not see is the asterisk next to the slogan.

Black Lives Matter*

* Unless killed by another black
* Unless aborted
* Unless Killed by a Brown or Black Cop
* Unless if Gang related
* Unless if he or she was a conservative
* Unless it was a drug overdose
these are just a few off the top of my head.. I am sure we can add more.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:45 AM

685 posts, read 720,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I realize racism is alive and well in this country but I also know racism is an issue for all races. Before retiring from a career in police work near DC I saw plenty of cases of racism in the black, brown, yellow, white and any color you can think if. We had a black robbery suspect admit that the black community (the bad ones that is) that the hispanics were called "walking ATM's) which would explain the constant street robberies.

But my concern is that the quite often "Black Lives Matter" thing will eventually backfire and turn many in the white community completely off. We already know that the fringe element in the white community are already turned off by it but with race baiters like Al Sharpton I can see this getting worse. Whenever a white police officer shoots and kills a black person the protests and/or riots seem automatic. Let a black police officer shoot and kill a white person and barely a ripple is heard.

So are the members of the black community concerned at all about this?

I'd appreciate the comments stay civil so as to not shut this down.
It is totally and utterly abominable what's happening to black people. I also remember the screams and cries from our then segregated pool at our local amusement park (Glen Echo in Bethesda) when blacks were kept out of the pool based on the amusement park policy. I still remember Sharpton from his Twana Brawley days and he turns me off and I feel he's better than nothing. But there are others speaking and the young are getting involved. This is crucial.

Blacks have been shut down and profiled for too many years. Segregation is obvious in many places, including our relatively new home and I don't like it but it is pretty much like this all over Asheville. I don't question the unfairness we've inflicted on them. At some point, with the right leaders for them, maybe they'll get further but taking another 50 years for equality and there will be a riot sooner and I'd support it. I also don't see "automatic riots." I see them occur when the justice system starts looking like a because it is not justice.

Why would Black lives Matter be any different from other stomped on groups' repeated chants? Look at what's finally happening in Ferguson (Holder did a job there) - something that should've been recognized eons ago. The police department should be changing there based on recent news. The chant either helped or didn't but we'll never know and they still continue.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:04 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
Everyones lives matter equally. Its those who break the law that take their lives into their own hands. Unfortunately those that view the situation from outside tend to view the color of the skin vs the crime committed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates