U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:19 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 8,194,122 times

Advertisements

Please keep it civil.

Do you agree the top two detriments to human society are religion and drugs?

If not, why? What are the top two detriments on society? How can we go about fixing them?

MODERATOR NOTE: While I will allow this post to remain since there have already been responses in the thread, and deleting it will close the thread, for future posts please remember this is a DEBATE forum, generally 1-2 sentence statements not allowed. This means they will most likely be deleted.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-16-2015 at 12:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 01:32 PM

6,081 posts, read 7,027,359 times
Religion is not a problem per se, the problem is how it is practiced. But that can clearly be a problem. Illegal drugs, ditto.

Seeking of power by a single individual or elite group must rank at the top.

Somewhere down the line is the physical environment and culture into which you are born.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:03 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,173,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Please keep it civil.

If not, why? What are the top two detriments on society? How can we go about fixing them?
Religion is for the weak minded, people believing in "imaginary friends" and "imaginary enemies" isn't really much help to society as a whole. Just read about this "preacher" who wants to fly in a 60 million dollar jet, people doing "gods work" are a bunch of scammers and hucksters and the gullible believe in all of this hogwash.

To me, the biggest detriment in society is the government not forcing banks to pay simple interest on money they're holding....why do banks get to hold my money for free? if everyone was getting a few percent interest on their money, society would be much better off, so to me, that's the #1 detriment.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:33 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,843,280 times
Do NOT agree with the religion. It is how people interpret and act BECAUSE of religion. And into the religion pot I throw atheism as well. A lot of people were killed in the 20th century by tyrants that could be described as atheists, despite some atheists (including the editor of Skeptic magazine) thinking that their ideals are perfect. As far as drugs, some are just not good to use in ANY does, shape or form whilst others when misused/excessively used cause a slow death. I would say the top two detriments in society are greed and hatred.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:34 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,135,943 times
Quote:
Please keep it civil.

MODERATOR NOTE: While I will allow this post to remain since there have already been responses in the thread, and deleting it will close the thread, for future posts please remember this is a DEBATE forum, generally 1-2 sentence statements not allowed. This means they will most likely be deleted.
I disagree. I think it is well established by both history and experience that, "selfishness" in one form or another is the biggest detriment to humankind. If we truly loved and cared for one another the problems of this world would disappear. The way it currently exists, most people are out for themselves, protecting their own narrow and selfish interests even if those interests are harmful or hurtful for others.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:19 AM

12,425 posts, read 14,553,508 times
Quote:
Please keep it civil.

I don't agree with the "religion" part..There's good and bad people in every religion, it all depends on the person.
I do agree that the abuse of drugs is a huge detriment to society.
I think the biggest detriment to human society is the way politicians collect huge wages and pensions for a life of scheming, cheating, and outright lying to the public. The worst part being that most of us (even though we know they've lied) just accept it and create "no waves" to upset them.
It's the "never me care" attitude that continues to allow such corruption.
We should demand transparency and truth (ALL the facts) from our politicians.
Blind respect for authority certainly IS the greatest enemy of truth.
Sadly, most people either don't care, or maybe just don't have the time to.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:40 PM

5,166 posts, read 2,994,994 times
I think that the human race has muddled along pretty well in spite of that always sizeable amount of people who chose destructive paths. They wreak havoc on the peace of mind and environment for the rest of us folks but on we trudge. Some of us even accomplish great things from which others benefit.

I really don't think that human nature has changed much from the first humans. And perhaps we will never accomplish resisting our basic urges in any sizeable amount.

A more encompassing concern of which I am becoming increasingly aware is the deterioration of the human genome and what it means for future generations. If you aren't aware of it, do some reading. The potential degradation and destruction is of a scope much larger than individual acts or even the acts of large masses of people.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:14 AM

6,555 posts, read 3,066,602 times
In America, the most fatal thing is heart disease. We could chalk that up to malnutrition, which likely claims more lives than ISIS, the cartel, or drug addiction (though arguably, drug addiction is a form of malnutrition).

But what causes malnutrition. Well, unless it's America or any other wealthy state, usually poverty. You can't afford nutritious food, so you whatever you can. And what causes poverty? At a global scale, typically greed.

So in fact, greed is the bane of the human race.

Sometimes, religion plays a role in the establishment of greed. European powers in the 1500s were fueled by a combination of greed and religion. They needed gold and other resources, and used whatever scripture they needed to justify the means of getting it. For the Native Americans, this meant facing a genocide, fueled by greed and justified from scripture.

The issue with religion; it's horrendously vague. Scripture is not all that straightforward. When Columbus first arrived, he viewed the Indians as being free and beautiful, referencing Adam and Eve prior to eating the fruit (living without sin). However, upon realizing they stood in the way of the resources (or were the resources in the case of slave labor), he used the same story to justify that their nakedness was an act of sin.

Bottom line, religion is just a language. A means of communicating. Even if the exact meaning of the phrase 'the lamb of God' is different among various cultures and groups, all Christians will know what it refers to.

So religion can be a problem. It fueled the world's most brutal genocide and has been used by many to suppress minority groups. However, it's also been used to help those groups (MLK) and to bring out the good in people.

The issue with religion rests entirely on how it's used. Good people will use religion for good; bad people will not. What we want is good people to teach everyone to be good so we won't have as many (or any in an ideal world) bad people.

As for drugs; no.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:37 AM

14,505 posts, read 11,481,746 times
Didnt the Black Death take out between 75 and 200 million humans.. thats an awful lot for the 1300s..would that not have almost been the amount in the world... and many other plagues.. wars took away many lives too and still does...so how can we measure and choose two things killing humans... Now though Id think cancers and war.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:50 AM

9,792 posts, read 7,106,581 times
There is warant to drugs and religion killing millions of people.
Examples
Hitler killing millions for being Jewish.
Genocides that are still happening in Africa.
The crusades.
The Conquistadors in the New World.
isis exploits.

the trouble is not drugs or religion it is humans themselves. People are a plague a virus on the planet and we are destroying our host. When we are not killing each other for an ideal we kill each other because you have something I want.
None of this is going to change anytime soon in fact it will probably get worse as the population continues to grow and resources become scarce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or