Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 06:32 PM

35,688 posts, read 21,042,380 times

Advertisements

It does not exist anymore is correct- ahh but how did all that change??

1- no moms at home to raise kids anymore- now have to work 3 jobs- and dads what is that?
2- TV/ movies and following the lives of these stupid people on TV. IT used the be the thugs who were rude and cursed, now it is the millionaire wives etc.-politicians, and the NEWS! so disrespectful of the people in power --authority in general - HMHM
3- with mass media and globalization- kids see more of whats out there than what is taught at home if anything is taught at all.
kids have NO idea what the word "integrity" means let alone respect-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 07:01 PM

206 posts, read 215,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
It does not exist anymore is correct- ahh but how did all that change??

1- no moms at home to raise kids anymore- now have to work 3 jobs- and dads what is that?
2- TV/ movies and following the lives of these stupid people on TV. IT used the be the thugs who were rude and cursed, now it is the millionaire wives etc.-politicians, and the NEWS! so disrespectful of the people in power --authority in general - HMHM
3- with mass media and globalization- kids see more of whats out there than what is taught at home if anything is taught at all.
kids have NO idea what the word "integrity" means let alone respect-
All of this has contributed to the decline of courtesy in our society, without a doubt.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:01 PM

24,476 posts, read 17,215,678 times
Common Courtesy is disappearing due to many factors that have been stated. I like to exercise it as often as possible and luckily I live in a area where it still practised. Drivers still let people out into traffic etc..

The odd thing was the other day I went for a bike ride and I like to acknowledge people when our paths cross and usually I get a response but this time I went by a group of teens said hello and got nothing in return. The same happened when I passed an old guy, women, dog walkers and kids. It was very odd but then again they may have been tourists so they haven't opened up yet.

It is sad when 2 people pass that they cannot acknowledge each other, it is just a common courtesy.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:38 PM

I talk to everyone. I say good morning. Wave -beep, whatever- in fact jumped in our elevator with a thief in my apt complex once started talking so much he ran down the steps and away from the property- LOl they told me later, they had been watching him trying to break into the apts. -- I think I changed his thought patterns- OH well--
I do not care if they don't respond, I do it because that is me! - but my grands see, and I can leave a legacy- I also give the poor guy a $1 and tell them-- you have much- he may be hungry- don't judge him. little things matter- like caring and having respect for all human beings/ animals / property etc -

why are they NOT learning? hmm

Old 08-12-2015, 08:28 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,153 times
That fairy tale stuff only happens on Fridays when people are done work for the week and just cashed their paychecks. Come Monday they are back to being ignorant because they have to go back to work.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:56 AM

4,208 posts, read 3,757,431 times
The place I notice the most lack of common courtesy is while I am driving. People tend to think they own the road and don't have to follow any of the rules. An example would be turn signals, this is considered a common courtesy in my book, but everyday I see less and less people using them. How about blocking traffic because you weren't in the correct lane to begin with and instead of turning around up ahead you choose to block a lane of traffic hoping someone lets you in. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt but I have fewer reasons to do so each day.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:39 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
The place I notice the most lack of common courtesy is while I am driving. People tend to think they own the road and don't have to follow any of the rules. An example would be turn signals, this is considered a common courtesy in my book, but everyday I see less and less people using them. How about blocking traffic because you weren't in the correct lane to begin with and instead of turning around up ahead you choose to block a lane of traffic hoping someone lets you in. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt but I have fewer reasons to do so each day.
I think one thing that is interesting in traffic is how some people will try to avoid eye contact when you are trying to merge and the other lane/road has the right of way. If they make eye contact, you become a person and they usually let you out. If they avoid it, you are just a car and they can assert right of way without it being personal. They do have right of way, but when it is busy, the secondary road would never move if people on the primary don't exercise courtesy.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:58 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,520 times
just a few days ago, an old lady in a wheelchair asked me if i could help her get up the ramp with me pushing her for about 10 or so feet. easy task for a young guy like me. she was with another lady who was assisting her (and would work with me even though i can easily do it). i told her absolutely no. if you get hurt, you will sue me, and promptly walked away.

when i used to bring baby carriages down for ppl. (especially chinese), they would never thank me. is it not a normal thing to say thank you in chinese culture? not the american born chinese because they have been trained but the immigrants never acknowledge courtesy. i promptly quit (when i was living in a chinese neighborhood). i am living in a russian neighborhood now btw. you also won't get a thank you from these guys. again, immigrants.

perhaps if i lived with real americans, i would see a huge difference but then again, i mention the law and liability. when you help people, you can get in trouble so why bother?

Old 08-19-2015, 06:31 PM

courtesy doesn't always mean helping people. That's is kindness- respect is simple- the OLD golden rule- no longer taught. As a kid we cursed- but now day women are called witches w a b -as a matter of fact- nudity n sex is on social media and TV as a matter of fact- not obeying the rules- what rules- ? if the lawmakers/ parents/ teachers/ clergy etc don't follow them- what are we expecting from the rest?
we LEAD by example-- PERIOD!

Old 08-22-2015, 09:39 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,256 times
Modern man is far more rude to those around him than savages were ages ago, because he is conscious of the fact that there is little risk of him getting his skull split open if he offends another person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates