Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 03:52 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
An example is if there are many mixed race kids in the same school how is the different cultures of all those kids going to be taught. It isn't. White kids should be taught white history, white cultural achievements, past white leaders of their people, etc. And there is more to it. Studies have shown that when communities are of mixed races there is less trust between people even of the same race. This isn't a racist view because I don't hate other races. It is just best for everyone if they keep to their own kind. Of course this view isn't politically correct in this politically correct world that we are living in but I will only say what I believe is best for most people and I believe that deep down most people would agree with me.
As someone coming from such a "school" and having raised my kids in such a "school", I just hope you aren't really serious, that's my first thought. "White history"? What the heck is that? Leaders of white people? Who are they? We learned history, Michigan, US and World. Do you have a link that shows there is less trust among people living in mixed race communities? You know, I came from MI within miles of where the underground railroad ended and had the misfortune of ending up in a little town, "white" like most of KS and it was eye-opening. Introduction to racism and while I realize how seriously wrong what they were saying was, I could just have laughed like they had to be joking. I thank God every day that I did not grow up in a place like that and thank God even more that my children were not raised in such an atmosphere. It is fine for those closed off from the rest of the world but for those that have to be a part of society, believing in being separate based on race, segregation, poison.

You know, I had a close friend and we were working on a military base so we knew people of all sorts of mixes and races and we were just really close until one day, she said that she believed in segregation of the races and as I said "had" a close friend, past tense.

My best friend from school is black and we often discuss racial issues. We have been friends since 1967. I had the great pleasure of discussing what it was like to be black in NC with a older gentleman that I met when we were staying there and he remembered well what it was like when segregated as I had noticed they had two schools across the street from one another in town and I asked why. I was told that one had been the school for blacks but that it was now closed. Seriously, separate schools. It is like I hear about it, even remember the news but it just really didn't touch my life until I listened to this man speak.

So, I guess I am one of those by-products of a mixed race school and I couldn't be more pleased about it. Oh, our neighbors are black. My DIL is Asian. I guess I am just not "most people", thank goodness!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-10-2015 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: Removed icon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 02:21 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:
When some people hear the word segregation of races that practically jump out of their seat. But I don't see the bid deal about it. Segregation isn't always based on hatred but with some people it might be. Since every race has is racists thinking people and we know that most of those people aren't going to change their views it is foolish to try and integrate them into a mufti-cuttural society where only friction can result. But if those racists people are segregated from the races they hate they won't be in an environment where they can carry their racists views into some kind of racial incident.
Besides that, my being white, I know that white communities are not enhanced in any way by integration. So I not only see no purpose in integration but see harm in it.
So why is segregation so looked down on? It would seem that common sense make segregation the thing that is most wanted.
Because in the shameful racial history of this country, segregation was emphasized and supported by the most ignorant people in humankind.

Integration happens when people judge others by the content of their character, not by the color of their skin, and this is the goal. Still a long way to go, obviously.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:36 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackace125 View Post

Going back to segregation though, I consider being 'color blind' to be worse than segregation. Being blind to the existence of discrimination is worse than discrimination itself. Discrimination at least recognizes others of different color or other.

Discrimination I think , in a positive way, has also become a 'drive' for those who are the majority and/or minority. Humans have always never been without conflict and discrimination is not something we'd get rid of so easily.

In fact I firmly believe that as long as people wish to retain their 'individuality', racism and discrimination will never disappear fully or at all. People are too different as it is to ignore or not think of racist or discriminating thoughts based on what they seen/heard from experience and/or from stereotyping.
Are you equating "color blind" with "being blind to discrimination"? Discrimination recognizes differences, but ALWAYS in a very negative way...I feel. I don't see it as a "drive" for anyone. Who needs a "drive" to realize they're being unfairly, and unequally treated?
I do agree with you that discrimination will never disappear...I believe that's largely because of our own gov allowing programs to be made available ONLY to certain groups of people. Groups of people that must be segregated to access these discriminatory programs.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:15 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,033 times
If everybody stuck to their own kind, whites wouldn't be allowed in America or anywhere out of Europe. Would be no Australia or USA or Canada. Europe and Asia would have offed themselves by now with pollution, overpopulation, disease, and war.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:04 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,083 times
Income equity has a lot to do with how neighborhoods are maintained. It is less about skin color, but it is certainly a matter of 'economic viability. I've lived in communities with a mix of multi-ethnic people, all had good jobs and good income to maintain their property, upkeep their vehicles, and everyone kept up their lawns, did not violate the city ordinances when it came to parking vehicles. and the kids were in programs after schools for math and other things, some even had Saturday morning classes.
Most gathering at homes was done in the 'back yard" as many people spent good money to make their back yards function as an outdoors room. That does not mean people did not occasionally bring a lawn chair and sit in their front yard sitting areas. Such things depended on the community culture, and as said, a great deal was related to the income parity within the areas.

The area was comprised of many cultures, Whites, Blacks, Chinese, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Latino and people did invite others in the community to their gathering, not everyone went to everyone's gathering, but not everyone was a direct next door neighbor to the others. Many communities, people don't personally know the people who live 4 or 5 houses away, but they do speak and wave to each other in passing. Some people are more social than others and some people keep to themselves.
While taking walks, everyone was friendly as in passing and waving or speaking, and people freely moved about in doing so with comfort and ease.
the kids played ball at the parks, the games were generally mixed, and the small kids seemed to not have a issue playing in the small kids areas with the other kids.

It was a great community overall, I could go walking for hours and felt comfortable and safe. I only left the areas when I moved to where I live now, because of family becoming aged and needing me closer.

Some areas can become unbalanced when the income levels become askew- where some are unable to maintain their property to the best presentation condition, or people let junk pile up on the carport, or fill their garages with junk that overflows to the side of the house or the back yard. when some won't trim their shrubbery, and then there are others who turn their front yards into seemingly the main social meeting places for their visitors.

Recently I walked in the community, I saw house that a few years ago which were well kept, and it appears people moved in, who are unable or unwilling to keep the standards of the community image up, some stack up too many vehicles and in some the carports are packed with junk. I see some where the kids do more walking and wandering around and these things start to change and erode the community. Even with the selection of pets, some people choose the dogs such as pit bull, which was not seen in this area previously. It makes walking a bit more cautious, because you never know if these dogs are secure. I see houses with over grown vegetation and such.

I think real-estate Agents, should think more about other things beyond the house payment, and start focusing on what it takes to upkeep property, and the same with the landlords who rent to people black or white, who want to live in an areas, they need to consider what it takes to keep up the property and explain the community standards to people.

Some people want to move to better communities, but they also must learn and know, they can't bring the habits which brought down the previous neighborhood and they must have a commitment to community standards upkeep. This is where "Neighborhood Association" Should step up and become a stronger force which meets with new home owners or renters in any area. (Lenders should make this a criteria for loan approval, it protects their investment as well as positions the community for equity growth, rather than equity losses)

Some items that help maintain community standards, it does not prohibit any race of people, but it does manage the quality of character of the community residents. that factor is home prices and for those who rent, it has to manage rental rates to attract people who can afford to maintain and manage within the community. If these things are managed well, one cannot nd would not claim that any race or people bring down an areas.
I've seen white areas, when white with inability to maintain and meet community upkeep standards move in, it changes the tonality of the community. I likewise have seen black communities, when blacks with inability to maintain and meet community upkeep standards move in, it changes the tonality of the community.

The same things have happen in many mixed communities, sometimes whites move in who can't or won't maintain and meet community standards, as well as sometimes blacks move in who can't or won't maintain and meet community standards.

Down the street a black family moved in, the man parked his lawn service equipment trailor on his front lawn, and then parked vehicle out by the side of the street, 'no one else was doing this", thankfully, he sold his lawn tailor. Some areas people buy motor homes when they have no place to store it, and put it in the driveway, thus not only blocking the view of his neighbors, some allow them to sit there unused until it becomes and eye sore that should be dispensed with.

It's fare less about race, and more to do with the character of the individual - a good mixed ethnic community is a good thing in a general sense, but it too is important that people aspire to the same quality standards of community upkeep, this includes managing their kids.

One thing I personally detest, I don't care it the kid is black or white, "don't come walking through the community on a continual stroll, with your pants sagging!!!!!!

It too matters what people park in their driveway. Not many people are pleased with these cars with giant wheels in the driveways. This is an oddity, because people have no problem seeing custom cars, which are generally and specifically 'custom show cars", and not everyday driving cars.
I'd not want to live next door to a person who builds and drive dirt track racers, where they park it in their driveway or beside their house.
I'm not interested in people who buy canopies and other lawn items and place them all in the "front yard". Or people who have work truck, and they slowly pile up work materials on the side of the house.
Sadly, there are people who have ample income, but lack in the respect of community character and bring their work stuff and pile it around their house. I've seen this done by both black and white people.

When kids go to segregated schools, it is some schools where the black participate in school programs, but I've seen schools where black kids parents want them to go to, but they don't concern themselves to make sure their kids in sufficient numbers participate in school programs. I watched one school, where they put on a program an the kids volunteered to do the decoration and built up the sets, and even though the school is mixed, It was probably no more than maybe 5 black kids, and all the rest where white kids. In such situations, it is not the whites who prohibit the blacks, it is the blacks and their lack of interest to participate which is more a problem created by blacks, not a problem of being shunned by whites.

People would be surprised how much blacks and whites have in common, we've been together in America for more than 350 yrs as human beings. sadly we endured much during those times with the Jim Crow, the KKK dominance in politics in the 1920's - 1950's and during the 1990's we saw a stronger blend of many multi ethnic groups, but something happened in the early 2000's to push more racial divides, some by political ploy of vote getting divisions which has seen voter suppression and voter repressions, and this has translated into more division within the public sphere. this divide line between Republican and Democrats has been nothing but a pure disaster upon and against the general public and our need to become more integrated as a people who are Americans.
We see the rhetoric trying to push a delusion that blacks are the cause of damage to public service programs, but the true fact is whites use these program at more than 4:1 and in some cases 7:1 above the black population. But when Republicans want to push for cuts, they imply by every inference that blacks abuse the system, never looking at the historical generational cycles of some whites in some regions all across the nations have long term generational public service recipients. This only come to issue of awareness when the cuts come and present facts as to whites who are devastated in more areas by these cuts, than just the inner city blacks. Only then do Right wing politicians want to make provisional modification to make some level of restorative support mechanisms available.
Furthermore, it is never discussed, that the Industrial Sector is vanquished in America to a great degree, which impacts many of the former mill towns of the mid west, as well as other once upon a time industrial sectors of the great plains areas and other sub industry support regions which no longer have viable employment options, and this too goes to conditions within the inner cities, where textiles and other once upon a time industries is all but gone; leaving nothing but low pay clerk jobs in the wake. It is well known that Minimum wage is no more than what it cost in modern days, to house and feed a slave. It provides nothing more, it does not afford medical, transportation, insurance, sufficient housing, or any of the things which would support stability and certainly not upward mobility.

Why don't we have a system, where a person making Min. Wage is tax exempt- and allowed to earn the equal of what two min wage jobs would pay, which would equate to $15Hr. The only money that should come out of their check is, SSI and Medicare tax... Nothing more. Then, when invest themselves to earn above the equal of $15hr, then and only then does taxation begin.
We'd then elevate the quality standards of life for people, we'd see better community maintenance and adherence to some maintainable level of community standards.
If we want to work people out of public service,Once they are on public service, put them in job training programs and help them find employment, then allow them to work and earn Min wage, 40hrs while they receive benefits for up to 1-2 yrs, (if they make above min wage, then they are cut 10% up to the equal of earning the equal of $12-15Hr. then we won't have a cycle of recidivism which see them recycle back on public assistance.

Instead of throwing money away on Section 8, rental -Use that money to move them into a HUD home, and put them on a graduation program that 3-5yr, the payment responsibility becomes 100% theirs. This gives them time to save, and have funds to maintain the home to a standard acceptable to community quality standards. All During this term, they are mandated to participate in a Monitoring Program, which monitors and help them manage their progress through the term. After they have gained stability, for 3 yrs after they leave the program, they have a annual monitoring to ensure they are sufficiently maintaining. It's called "Responsible Governance !!!!!

For young people, especially from disadvantaged situations, but not to prohibit any young person from any walk of life from participation, I still advocate the creation of "A Civil Corp".

We'd do a great service to humanity and make a progressive move to remove some to the drivers which feed the bigotry and racism which is tearing this nation apart.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 05-22-2015 at 09:12 AM..

Old 05-23-2015, 01:43 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,239 times
Quote:
When some people hear the word segregation of races that practically jump out of their seat. But I don't see the bid deal about it. Segregation isn't always based on hatred but with some people it might be. Since every race has is racists thinking people and we know that most of those people aren't going to change their views it is foolish to try and integrate them into a mufti-cuttural society where only friction can result. But if those racists people are segregated from the races they hate they won't be in an environment where they can carry their racists views into some kind of racial incident.
Besides that, my being white, I know that white communities are not enhanced in any way by integration. So I not only see no purpose in integration but see harm in it.
So why is segregation so looked down on? It would seem that common sense make segregation the thing that is most wanted.
You negate this whole thread by admitting your white supremacism. You assume all people are too stupid to see past the artificial construct of determining people's character by melanin content, losing credibility entirely. 100 years ago, WASP whites, Irish, Germans and Jews all separated themselves yet are all now considered white. You buy into 2015's definition of whiteness and don't have the logical power to see past that and that maybe one day race won't matter to civilized people.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:47 PM

261 posts, read 512,579 times
I do not believe in a law that tells people where they can and cannot live. However, when CHOICE is involved is is rather clear that people prefer to live amongst people who look and think like them. They even prefer to marry and give kids by their own. This is not just amongst straight people, it is also wildly displayed in the gay community as well . Nothing wrong with it imo.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:21 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
If everybody stuck to their own kind, whites wouldn't be allowed in America or anywhere out of Europe. Would be no Australia or USA or Canada. Europe and Asia would have offed themselves by now with pollution, overpopulation, disease, and war.
they are already not allow in japan without restriction, mexico, middle east countries. etc.

its not really a bad thing to want one type of people, i can see the other side too. but if you want to live with your own type, you should be allowed too without being sued.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:54 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Then perhaps relocating may best for you so you can only be around your own.

Jist to add, color of skin/race does not indicate culture. The dark man from Nigeria doesn't have the same culture as the dark African/Black American. The white skinned Swede dies not have the same culture as a White American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates