Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 10:09 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times

Advertisements

I think we are all aware that racism does exist in this country.

However, does anyone think that cries of racism come in situations that aren't racist at all?

For example, I was looking up "Darius Rucker" because I enjoy his music, and here are a few gems that I came across:

‘Total fail': Viewers snipe over Darius Rucker singing ‘White Christmas’ at Rock Center | Twitchy

Darius Rucker Gets Heat For Singing 'White Christmas'

So basically, when Darius Rucker performed "White Christmas" at the Rockefeller Center, people somehow assumed that it was race-related or saw it in bad taste.

Personally, in my opinion, things like this are silly. I think they make the accusers look ridiculous (and frankly, racist, if they are seeing things like classic Christmas songs as a "black vs. white" type of thing), and I feel bad for people like Darius Rucker -- a talented musician who did a beautiful job of singing a classic Christmas carol.

Thoughts?

Old 03-18-2015, 06:27 AM

3,647 posts, read 3,784,210 times
I agree with you.

I can think of a time two years ago I was training a young man for an entry level position doing something in which he had no previous experience. He told his mother what he had done at work and she had him hand the phone to me so she could tell me it was racist to have him do menial work. We did come to an understanding, but I could see where her attitude impacted the young man occasionally.

Another time, same kid, I find him in a bar with friends. He's underage. I told the bar tender who said he was afraid of being called 'racist' if he carded the kid. Oh, baloney! But I understand. So I ran him out myself. The kid admitted he knew bartenders wouldn't run him off because of the race thing.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:20 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Yes, but it is the same with all the elements where discrimination is possible, sex, religion, etc. That is also the cause that so many people get fed up since "discrimination" becomes the "go to" when people, generally the most undesirable of each group, scream that they are being discriminated against. It is not because they aren't qualified, come in late, etc. but because they are (fill in the blank). I have seen it having been in Federal Civil Service.

At the same time, in Federal Civil Service, I saw a supervisor go to Civilian Personnel and go through a listing of employees looking for applicants for a position in her office so as not to set up an interview with someone of a particular race. It was coded in such a way, the listings, so that you would need to know the "secret" code, which she did. So, know that I support anti-discrimination laws.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:39 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Several years ago reading about the different reactions of whites and blacks: If a white couple were in a restaurant and the server seemed to ignore them, the couple assumed it was just poor service, but a black couple would be thinking it was because they were black. So this has been going on a longtime, it's nothing recent.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:29 AM

187 posts, read 270,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Yes, but it is the same with all the elements where discrimination is possible, sex, religion, etc. That is also the cause that so many people get fed up since "discrimination" becomes the "go to" when people, generally the most undesirable of each group, scream that they are being discriminated against. It is not because they aren't qualified, come in late, etc. but because they are (fill in the blank). I have seen it having been in Federal Civil Service.
I see this as the most common cry of "racism" today. Yes, we have the politicians and media crying race for every little thing, but what is worse is your common man using the race card as an excuse for everything.

I have seen the same situation you have at a previous job: coworker pulls the race card for everything. "Whitey keeping me down! Cracker wrote me up for being black!" Nevermind the fact that he would come in 30 minutes late every day, take naps on the job, and is generally a useless person. He's been there over 10 years and is still employed there, they are too scared to fire him because he throws the race card around so much.

The ultimate problem is that everyone in a "group" has been told over and over that they are victims, and that white/straight/majority groups are victimizing and oppressing them. Race relations will only get worse as people are told they are victims and that they NEED a helping hand to get anywhere in the world.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:34 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,772,369 times
From what I have observed I would say definitely. I knew this black guy in college and he was going over his grades at the end of the semester. For every low grade he got he claimed his teacher was a bigot and he was unfairly targeted because of his race. I know that his claim isn't true because it was a small college and I knew the teachers and knew that they were fair in their grading. Just one example.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:40 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,704 times
Yep, all the time in the service. Most of my soldiers were great but there were always the few who were not and were always getting in trouble. Several were minorities and would play the race card....without fail everytime. I would remain professional and send them down to the equal opportunity rep where they could tell their tales of woe. I was fortunate that many of my NCOs were also minorities who usually were the ones who initiated the disciplinary action in the first place. I always giggled when I was labeled a sexist by my female soldiers (I'm female). Humm. Again it was just a few but each unit always seemed to have the trouble makers who would take up much of my time.

It does get tiresome though. I recall living in a southern state where there were cries over the term "black ice" on the roadways many years ago. It was deemed derogatory and racist. I shook my head.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:03 PM

490 posts, read 660,238 times
I would say yes. Though I do not blame those who so easily cry racism, because most of the time they have a valid point. I feel the only way to progress in a positive direction is to become extra sensitive to these issues. So people are forced to think before they speak and act. Racism is so engrained American culture and in our subconscious, the only way to overcome racism is to actively seek racist actions (which may or may not be intentional).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy20 View Post
I always giggled when I was labeled a sexist by my female soldiers (I'm female).
Some of the worst racism/sexism if from those of the same "kind". The self-hate in the black community is awful, creates negative feeling between people who should be allied. Females imo are often vicious towards one another and the strongest anti-feminists I know are all female.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:28 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
I would say yes. Though I do not blame those who so easily cry racism, because most of the time they have a valid point. I feel the only way to progress in a positive direction is to become extra sensitive to these issues. So people are forced to think before they speak and act. Racism is so engrained American culture and in our subconscious, the only way to overcome racism is to actively seek racist actions (which may or may not be intentional).

Some of the worst racism/sexism if from those of the same "kind". The self-hate in the black community is awful, creates negative feeling between people who should be allied. Females imo are often vicious towards one another and the strongest anti-feminists I know are all female.
I can't say that I agree. Racism is a nasty, hurtful thing that should be addressed. Unfortunately, though, when people start crying racism when there clearly isn't any racism at hand, then they take away from the cause. People stop taking the cause seriously because they are used to people complaining about a non-existent issue. (Not saying racism is non-existent, I'm saying that some so-called racial issues are non-existent).

Old 03-18-2015, 05:52 PM

16,582 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I think we are all aware that racism does exist in this country.

Thoughts?
One of the problems with your statement is that you and some others think racism against blacks when you make that comment.
I am not sure if it is liberal white guilt, PC brainwashing, or something else.
Sure there is racism in this country, and especially around the world. We have it a lot better here than most, but to hear knee jerk liberals tell it, we are the worst, and it always pertains to blacks or minorities. Rest assured racism against whites is real, and growing.
Part of the reason it is more acceptable to the general public is because the liberal media and Hollywood's framed narrative is that whites are racist, but blacks and other minorities are not.

Humans are like most other creatures in that birds of a feather flock together.
Our country is better than most, but is not perfect. Dare I say we never will be, whether it be related to race, vices, sin, morals, etc.
That does not mean we just give up in an apathetic surrender? No, but we also must start to drop the PC rubbish that holds back true exchange of ideas.
The idiot owner of Starbucks thinks he can socially engineer his customers into openly discussing race, but that is a half baked liberal fantasy.
I also get a kick out of those like AG Holder who says we are cowards and do not want to discuss race. However his idea of discussing race is to label our society guilty of the sins of white privilege, and anything that deviates from his and other race baiters narrative, is shouted down with name calling and labels.
So if you ask me to discuss race, I can do so, but I may have a different opinion on it. I will not tolerate childish efforts to attempt to censor my view if it does not comport with whom I am speaking with.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-19-2015 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: Removed icon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates