Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 05:03 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf408 View Post
As far as cheap, that has to go to natural gas - which is why many utilities (in the USA at least) are vastly expanding their natural gas infrastructure.
That is not necessarily true, they are moving to gas becsue of the uncertainty over the regulations for coal. Natural gas plants are generally more efficient and less costly to build but that does not account for the price of the fuel itself. The lowest it's ever been was about $2MMBtu back in 2012 after the boom was in full swing. It rose back to about $4 and was hovering there for many years. It's about $3 now and expected to rise again. Correspondingly coal has been steady near $2/$3 the entire time becsue it's not subject to the market variables as much as gas.

Use of coal-fired generators in the Southeast has been declining - Today in Energy - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 05:04 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
A great deal of the pollution you see in Chinese cities is the result of domestic heating, you need a lot of energy to keep more than 1 billion warm. The same issues existed in many western cities like London up until the 50's and 60's before they banned residential coal heating. Here in the US in particular cities in the east it was not an issue becsue of anthracite coal which does not produce soot when burned. Pittsburgh and surrounding areas would be an exception to that but only because of the steel mills using soft coal.
It's not just that though. If you watch the documentary they show what run away government subsidizing industry can do to create environmental catastrophe like how China's steel industry is helping to environmentally destroy China because of the Chinese Communist Party propping it up against all logic. Then there are the cars made in China none of which pass China's own emission standards and are creating a bunch of toxic smog themselves. Then you have all the other state run businesses that don't follow the countries own environmental standards and what you end up with is the most toxic nation in the history of the world.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:14 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Respectfully, government money has been paid out to cleanup many areas of the country that have had problems.
The coal industry is the only industry in this country that has been tasked with cleaning up it's own mess and others. Every ton of coal mined has a fee applied that is used for reclamation of abandoned property some which can be more than a century old. This would include other mining sites without a spec of coal for hundreds of miles.

http://www.abandonedmines.gov/wbd.html

Old 03-18-2015, 05:33 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,682 times
All I can say is I'm glad this thread sparked so much response. Well, not all.

My own thoughts are that nuclear power is the best energy source ever.

It's problems have been inflicted upon it by people who have a larger agenda. They are the same people who wanted the US to lose in Vietnam and who cheered whenever the VC or NVA won a battle, which I'm not sure ever happened. I remember distinctly a meeting I was at at a prestigious univerity's alumini association where one of the attendees said in response to a question about his and like minded peoples' opposition to coal, said, "Wait to you see what we do to nuclear."

I knew and know these people: their hatred for all that might make life better, in furtherance of the Leninist maxim of "the worse, the better." Their hatred for everyone and thing has not abated, despite history's refutation of their creed.

They are with us today.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:53 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
All I can say is I'm glad this thread sparked so much response. Well, not all.

My own thoughts are that nuclear power is the best energy source ever.

It's problems have been inflicted upon it by people who have a larger agenda. They are the same people who wanted the US to lose in Vietnam and who cheered whenever the VC or NVA won a battle, which I'm not sure ever happened. I remember distinctly a meeting I was at at a prestigious univerity's alumini association where one of the attendees said in response to a question about his and like minded peoples' opposition to coal, said, "Wait to you see what we do to nuclear."

I knew and know these people: their hatred for all that might make life better, in furtherance of the Leninist maxim of "the worse, the better." Their hatred for everyone and thing has not abated, despite history's refutation of their creed.

They are with us today.
You lost all credibility with this one sentence in bold. Not everyone who is against nuclear energy is a wingnut, Communist, or what-ever slur you want to label on the Left and to be frank some Lefties are for Nuclear. And to say that the U.S. never lost a battle in 'Nam is straight up lunacy.

Actually, this entire post of yours is straight up crazy talk and I do not believe for one minute that anyone you "know" who is like that would actually give you time of day since they would think you are just as nutty as you claim to them to be.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
No matter what crude is going to be here for our lifetime. Even if less gasoline; we need to replace over other 13K essential products made from it. Long ways to go. Crude is now 100% used natural product.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:37 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The coal industry is the only industry in this country that has been tasked with cleaning up it's own mess and others. Every ton of coal mined has a fee applied that is used for reclamation of abandoned property some which can be more than a century old. This would include other mining sites without a spec of coal for hundreds of miles.

Abandoned Mine Lands
However is the coal industry cleaning up after the coal is used? NO!
Look at just one of the problems caused by Duke energy and their track records.

http://www.newsweek.com/92-coal-ash-...cleanup-260084

EPA?s Response to the Duke Energy Coal Ash Spill in Eden, NC

North Carolina Coal Ash « Coal Ash Ponds of the Southeast

The Latest News On The Coal Ash Spill in Eden, NC | WUNC

Old 03-18-2015, 11:00 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
You lost all credibility with this one sentence in bold. Not everyone who is against nuclear energy is a wingnut, Communist, or what-ever slur you want to label on the Left and to be frank some Lefties are for Nuclear. And to say that the U.S. never lost a battle in 'Nam is straight up lunacy.

Actually, this entire post of yours is straight up crazy talk and I do not believe for one minute that anyone you "know" who is like that would actually give you time of day since they would think you are just as nutty as you claim to them to be.
The vast majority of the anti nuclear movement comes from the political left in the United States. The Republican party tried for years to get nuclear power more widely used but it was blocked by the democratic party. The reason why the Democrats blocked increasing nuclear power is because they weren't concerned about the environment or the science behind nuclear energy or whether it was safe or not. The Democrats blocked nuclear power because they were pandering for votes from people who got scared and overreacted to an extremely terrible movie and Chernobyl which didn't have the safety features US nuclear power plants do. In short the left in the United States pushed the United States back decades from getting off fossil fuel for generating electricity. History is going to show this as one of the dumbest things if not the stupidest thing the democrats have done during the last few decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
If you have issues with coal then support nuclear energy since it's the only real alternative available.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:48 PM

100 posts, read 122,278 times
cwa1984

Honest question: While it is true that nuke is "clean" generation, I haven't recently (or ever) heard any viable ideas on how to store the waste. What is/are the new technology/ies that will handle this very real concern?

And is solar is so worthless, why are utilities fighting "roof-top" solar so aggressively?

"China Syndrome" actually was an intriguing movie because it pointed out something you don't seem to mention, and that is corporations will always seek the least-expensive solution, even if there are risks involved. Nukes are not fail-safe any more than any other technology. There is no single solution; it will take a wide range of ideas to wean us off greenhouse gases.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:07 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Doesn't surprise me that this has turned into yet another coal vs. fission vs. petroleum vs. solar/wind/tidal.

How about fusion? Let's toss a bunch of money at that and see if we can clean the energy slate and start from scratch. Lockheed Martin says they're close. Granted, there has been SOMEONE saying they're close to cracking fusion for decades. But if this happens, many of our planet's problems go away. Desalination becomes economically feasible. That means irrigating inarable land. That means refilling reservoirs.

That also means an immediate drop in emissions as every large ship and train switches over immediately. Air travel would become slower but clean as well, if Boeing et. al. went back to propellers on a fusion-powered electric plane.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/pro...ct-fusion.html

Skunk Works Reveals Compact Fusion Reactor Details | Technology content from Aviation Week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates