Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 05:32 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNHot75 View Post
I am wondering what you all think will happen when whites become a minority
Oh, for cripe's sake, OP! The US turning into a 3rd World country has nothing to do with how many brown people it has! It has EVERYTHING to do with how the economy and tax policy are handled. It's GW Bush & Co. , including his current ideological successors, who are running the economy into the ground and turning the US into a 3rd World country. Not to mention the small matter, haha, of the wars he started, which have been very difficult for the US to extricate itself from, a whole separate topic in itself. Massive tax cuts to individuals, on top of corporate evasion of tax payment and tax policy that aids and abets that to some degree (some corporations have received tax refunds in the past, rather than paying anything), are flushing this country down the toilet, and it wasn't the brown people in Congress who wrote that legilsation and voted it in.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:11 PM

490 posts, read 659,828 times
Quote:
I am wondering what you all think will happen when whites become a minority as is predicted to occur in 2044 according to the latest census. Will all ethnic groups finally live in harmony since the mean whites are no longer keeping them down? I actually think things will be worse as I think most Hispanics and Asians do not think too highly of blacks and since they don't have white guilt it will be worse for blacks. It should be interesting?

Census: White children to become minority by 2020 - UPI.com
Whites will still be the largest majority nothing will change

You seem over infatuated with race relations.
It's hard to take your post seriously when it is sarcastically charged, few minority members feel whites are mean.

Also, racism seems to be lessening as time progresses, so hopefully citizens of 2044 America will not see color as vividly as you do.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:57 PM

105 posts, read 169,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
Whites will still be the largest majority nothing will change

You seem over infatuated with race relations.
It's hard to take your post seriously when it is sarcastically charged, few minority members feel whites are mean.

Also, racism seems to be lessening as time progresses, so hopefully citizens of 2044 America will not see color as vividly as you do.
It is kind of hard to escape it. I mean even Starbucks is doing its part to remind everyone about race relations. Every time a black gets shot by a cop or civilian the news goes crazy over it and makes it seem that the black person that got shot was a choir boy. I just find it fascinating that the USA is changing into a Latin American type country with different mixes of people. My fiance whose parents are from Mexico told me that in Latin America there are still hierarchies based on skin color and I wonder if this will play out in the future here as Hispanics become a force politically and economically. Asians are in another league though as they are more educated and earn the most in this country as a group than anyone else so they will be ok.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
It is kind of hard to escape it. I mean even Starbucks is doing its part to remind everyone about race relations. Every time a black gets shot by a cop or civilian the news goes crazy over it and makes it seem that the black person that got shot was a choir boy. I just find it fascinating that the USA is changing into a Latin American type country with different mixes of people. My fiance whose parents are from Mexico told me that in Latin America there are still hierarchies based on skin color and I wonder if this will play out in the future here as Hispanics become a force politically and economically. Asians are in another league though as they are more educated and earn the most in this country as a group than anyone else so they will be ok.
As Hispanic's have generations of children in America they will lose their hispanic identity and be assigned their true racial identity.

My grandmother came here from Mexico 50 years ago, my mother is white hispanic and speaks Spanish. I do not speak Spanish, I do not eat Mexican food, I am not Catholic. My ethnic group is American. An ethnic group is is a socially defined category of people who identify with each other based on common ancestral, social, cultural or national experience. My racial group is my perceived race, which in my case is ambiguous, but not for most people.

Last edited by IM90046; 03-23-2015 at 07:55 PM..

Old 03-23-2015, 07:52 PM

464 posts, read 451,225 times
And to answer your question, no, the US will never become third world. We might have some eyesore rust belt cities with slum neighborhoods but overall our economic patterns and social conditions are similar to those other developed countries. Becoming majority non-white will not change anything. I have met many hard working blacks, hispanics, asians, who live in nice neighborhoods and have the same first world luxuries we all have.. so I don't know what you are implying. Are you a racist? Open your eyes and travel the world.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-23-2015 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: Removed icon

Old 03-23-2015, 08:11 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
If we continue down the economic path we are on I can see us ending up like an Argentina, a once wealthy nation that isn't exactly 3rd world, but is economically dysfunctional. The change in ethnic make up won't make us third world, but the fact that most of these new non-white immigrants vote for statist/leftist leaning politicians and policies means we may become more like these 3rd world countries with more divisive, and more violent, political factions, much like what you see in Latin America: far right v far left.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
If we continue down the economic path we are on I can see us ending up like a Argentina, a once wealthy nation that isn't exactly 3rd world, but is economically dysfunctional. The change in ethnic make up won't make us third world, but the fact that most of these new non-white immigrants vote for statist/leftist leaning politicians and policies means we may become more like these 3rd world countries with more divisive, and more violent, political factions, much like what you see in Latin America: far right v far left.
most new non-non white immigrant's do not vote. Moderator cut: off topic mostly because they do not speak english, are too busy working, and were not raised with very active voters.)

You might be referring to their children? who are NOT immigrants.

LMAO I'm dying of laughter at the thought of a Mexican hopping the border and running to the polls to vote.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-23-2015 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: Bringing up partisan politics in a thread not specifically about it is automatically off topic.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:39 PM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Third World? Probably not, but I do see us becoming a second-world country like Argentina or an A-minus country like England with a far flung ex-empire that we have a guilty paternalistic urge to care for even though we can't afford it.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:37 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
There's always been more invisible 3rd world areas of the U.S. (the Deep South, or the Appalachian district, which is notably white, comes to mind) and Los Angeles I'm predicting will become the more visible area. More and more street vendors are becoming accepted/legal in L.A.. In a walk down Alvarardo street, last summer, just west of downtown L.A., it was like a walk down a street in Tijuana, complete with pirated DVD stands! I won't be surprised at all if chicken buses come next, which would be a great cause for celebration!

If we ever weaken or scrap the EPA, then it will be a fast clip to the 3rd world in this country, where face masks and bottled water will become mandatory! And, when you get desperate enough for jobs, it could very well happen!

I've traveled to too many 3rd world countries, in my time, with countless chicken bus rides, or riding in the backs of pick-ups, and there are features in these countries, if duplicated here, would be most welcome!

I was in La Paz, Bolivia, one time, some entrepreneur must have baked a many layered chocolate cake, put it on a wheeled cart, with paper plates, plastic forks, and carted through the streets selling individual pieces of cake (it was delicious!), now wouldn't that be a nice feature!

Old 03-23-2015, 11:04 PM

105 posts, read 169,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
If we continue down the economic path we are on I can see us ending up like an Argentina, a once wealthy nation that isn't exactly 3rd world, but is economically dysfunctional. The change in ethnic make up won't make us third world, but the fact that most of these new non-white immigrants vote for statist/leftist leaning politicians and policies means we may become more like these 3rd world countries with more divisive, and more violent, political factions, much like what you see in Latin America: far right v far left.
I agree with your post 100%. I also worry that Hispanics and Blacks do not seem to pursue STEM degrees to help continue the growth in the technology sector and it seems only whites, Asians and Indians are doing so but these groups are not growing in numbers as fast in this country. Education is the most important factor to keep this country from falling apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates