Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:42 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Yes, women should dress more conservatively. I'm so annoyed when I see a female's cleavage because I instantly say to myself, "Who is she trying to impress?"

And we as women can no longer say, "I have big breasts, I can't cover them up," because that's a lie and you know it.

ETA: Dressing conservatively (in my opinion) doesn't mean to wear a burka or dress like the Duggar family, to me means:
  • No cleavage
  • Nothing shorter than mid-thigh
  • Nothing shorter than mid-thigh
  • If you're going to show your back, don't show too much (more than 50%)
  • Nothing tight
  • When you bend down, your underwear or butt crack shouldn't show.
  • No bikinis (you wouldn't walk around in your underwear, would you?)

Thank you! I'm always shocked when guys make unnecessary comments when I'm dressed conservatively.

You lost me at your rules for women. Those may be your rules, but other women can disregard them. It's up to their personal taste. You've seen how men can harass you even if you are completely covered. They will continue to do that regardless of clothing choices.

Why stop at controlling fashion choices? Why not say what weight women should be? How sexual they should be and who they should be sexual with? What professions they can have? It's a slippery slope.

Grown women should wear what they please. Even if I don't like it and would not wear it. It's their choice.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-02-2015 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: Edited quote

Old 04-01-2015, 11:26 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I'm for women openly dressing whatever the weather permits but it would benefit women if they tone it down just to avoid unnecessary attention and comments. IF you really want a serial rapist to target you then make yourself the biggest attention grabber.

It's all about risk taking.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm for women openly dressing whatever the weather permits but it would benefit women if they tone it down just to avoid unnecessary attention and comments. IF you really want a serial rapist to target you then make yourself the biggest attention grabber.

Rapists don't rape someone because they are wearing a short skirt, and wearing conservative clothes will not protect you. Even nuns and elderly women are raped.

Also, as a former model I can tell you the industry takes advantage of the power dynamic a la Bill Cosby.thats a different dynamic than everyday people. Also vulnerable men are just as likely to encounter abuse in the fashion/ acting world.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:54 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
"What was she wearing" is an interesting tumblr where women share their catcalling experiences: But What Was She Wearing? None of them were dressed like hookers.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
"What was she wearing" is an interesting tumblr where women share their catcalling experiences: But What Was She Wearing? None of them were dressed like hookers.
Thanks for posting that. It was very interesting to read. Of course the few males who should read that will not do so. The nice males will and feel guilty for looking at a pretty girl. It's so messed up. There is a huge difference between noticing an attractive person and harassing them.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:06 PM

Factors that increase the chance of a male raping a woman include the consumption of alcohol or drugs, having a low opinion of women, thinking that women are to blame for their assault, past history of abuse, hanging out with other sexually aggressive men, and not understanding the real pain of the victim.

It's interesting that blaming the victim can lead to more assaults, because the perpetrator doesn't take responsibility for his actions.

I'm not saying that anyone on this thread would do that or condone it, but the idea that women are asking for harassment may lead to additional and worse harassment. It's the idea that needs to be changed.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:09 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Thanks for posting that. It was very interesting to read. Of course the few males who should read that will not do so. The nice males will and feel guilty for looking at a pretty girl. It's so messed up. There is a huge difference between noticing an attractive person and harassing them.
Yeah, then you get the guys who get all, "Jeez, you can't even say anything nice to anyone without going to jail for sexual harassment. Thanks, Feminism." Way to miss the point, Ace.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:17 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

How many times does one have to be told or reminded or both that "Rape" is NOT a sexual act it is all about the power one persona has over another.

Why should women "tone down" what they wear when men walk around all day every day every where with no shirt on thinking they are all hot and attractive even with their 75 pound by itself beer gut and boobs.

No one has the right to "tell" anyone what to wear and what is "skanky" to one (as mentioned by a different poster) is attractive to another.

Celebrities dress "skanky" (according to the definition of the above mentioned poster) all the time and no one thinks anything about it. Yet if a non celebrity would wear the exact same outfit on the street someone would refer to them as skanks or ladies of the evening or easy or asking to be raped or all of the above.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:17 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You absolutely ARE blaming the victim simply by asking

"Should a woman wear more conservative clothing".

She has to change the way she dresses because some men cannot control their actions?

So yes, you ARE blaming the victim.

PS ~~ AS far as your "example" goes, I really don't care which you go after but keep in mind that YOU are the one making their clothing the issue not me.
I'm not sure why you're so offended. And you somehow blew off a rational hypothetical scenario so you're obviously not trying to see things from the other side of the coin. Are you one of the women that wears very revealing clothing and then gets upset if someone acknowledges it?

For the record, I have a young daughter that will one day be a young woman. If she's still in my house and decides to wear revealing clothing at inappropriate times, she will definitely be changing her clothes before she goes anywhere.

Moderator cut: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't know. a woman should be able to wear what she wants without fear of harrassement but some guys just can't help it. I'm not talking about a verbal harrassement which can be helped but gawking or just looking can make a woman feel uncomfortable.
Of course this goes both ways too. Men can be made to feel uncomfortable in a situation where a woman wears something revealing.
Case in point: The other day at the deli there was a very pretty very fit 20 something young woman wearing those tight yoga pants that showed off every curve of her yummy figure. I couldn't help but sneek peeks at her but I don't like to make anyone feel uncomfortable so staring is not allowed. It was the middle of the day so there were several old dudes waiting for their number to be called and I could tell they were rather uncomfortable in her presence. They all wanted to admire her beauty but didn't want to stare.
It wasn't her fault at all but guys can't help but admire a nice figure and when the woman chooses to wear tight clothes ot show it off ?? What is a poor guy to do but sneak a peek?
Agreed...I've been caught looking (not staring) before, and sometimes the woman in question doesn't care. Other times, there's a look of disgust or a "what are you looking at??" so I try to only glance for a second or two. If I see a well-endowed woman walking towards me with a very revealing shirt on, I immediately look somewhere else because I just want to avoid conflict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Yes, because I used to get harassed even when I wasn't even adult yet by simply wearing regular clothing and walking around the neighborhood. I would be wearing REGULAR shorts (not short shorts) or jeans and a t-shirt and guys would honk, harass me, follow me and try to "entice" me into their cars. Really disgusting behavior and if you think I was encouraging that then you are definitely the one with the problem.

BTW-If a guy simply says hi or hey beautiful and keeps on their merry way, I have no problem with that.
I think guys like the ones you describe probably hit on every girl they see, which isn't a large majority of men. I've had friends that I would go out somewhere with, and they would literally try to talk to any reasonably good-looking woman no matter what she had on. I think their logic is "ok, if I get rejected by 99 women but still end up with one phone number by the end of the day, I was successful".

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-02-2015 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote and direct response to it

Old 04-01-2015, 12:32 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
I know someone is going to jump down my throat about this, but I don't get it. I'm all about people having the choice to wear whatever they want, but I don't understand the logic behind the anger when women are "verbally harassed".

Don't get me wrong; I don't condone men saying making totally inappropriate sexual comments. But if a woman is wearing form-fitting clothes, shouldn't she expect guys trying to get her attention? Is "hey baby" and "what's up girl" really that bad? I assume the solution to avoiding unwanted attention is to wear more conservative clothing, am I wrong?
YES! And while they're at it, they should also wear their true sizes and stop squeezing themselves in their toddler clothes! It's disgusting!

As far as men using those pick up lines, that shows complete lack of chivalry and common sense!!! Read the book about "How to be a gentleman!" And stop expecting women to respond to these insulting pick up lines!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates