Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 12:49 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times

Advertisements

Tulane

I would tend to agree with those who say that a student's mental health (or lack thereof) is not the responsibility of the school. Others maintain that colleges have some responsibility in this matter.

The faculty and staff aren't trained mental health professionals (for the most part) nor are they psychic, so I would submit that the weight of this issue falls mainly with the students themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 04:28 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Isn't college a place where legal adults usually go? While it's unfortunate that many mental problems appear in the late teens/early 20's it's really no more a schools responsibility than it is the responsibility of the company you work for or the city you live in. It's great to have the resources for people, but it's an add-on (and adds-on to the cost of tuition) and NOT the primary purpose of college or the primary responsibility of the college. But I'd rather see the communities, including the ones where colleges are located, worry about providing these resources, with tax money they get for this purpose, Getting a mirror system going in colleges to provide all services seems like a waste of resources.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:38 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
I really don't believe that a "mental issue" just pops up without anyone noticing before you get to college....there are signs, if parents and friends are paying attention! It's not the college's problem, nor is it an employer's problem (although keeping an eye on your students or employees would be the smart thing to do!) to notice a difference in someone's 'normal" mental state!

Old 04-04-2015, 02:23 AM

646 posts, read 465,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I really don't believe that a "mental issue" just pops up without anyone noticing before you get to college....there are signs, if parents and friends are paying attention! It's not the college's problem, nor is it an employer's problem (although keeping an eye on your students or employees would be the smart thing to do!) to notice a difference in someone's 'normal" mental state!
I disagree. Often, the changes that come with moving out, starting college etc. can trigger somewhat "hidden" mental problems because of the stress that comes with starting a new stage of your life and basically being on your own.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:22 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Isn't college a place where legal adults usually go? While it's unfortunate that many mental problems appear in the late teens/early 20's it's really no more a schools responsibility than it is the responsibility of the company you work for or the city you live in. It's great to have the resources for people, but it's an add-on (and adds-on to the cost of tuition) and NOT the primary purpose of college or the primary responsibility of the college. But I'd rather see the communities, including the ones where colleges are located, worry about providing these resources, with tax money they get for this purpose, Getting a mirror system going in colleges to provide all services seems like a waste of resources.

This sounds like a great idea but a lot of cities only have one college. Also, I don't think it's necessarily fair to have taxpayer money fund this service for transient residents of their towns. And from what I hear, it's not like these college counselors have a lot of down time so idk if resources are really being wasted.

I think one problem is that colleges look to hire mental health counselors with "college specific" experience when they really need more therapists trained in crisis evaluations/situations.

We need more mental health therapists everywhere, not just colleges. We also need to pay them better. At least as much as public school teachers who have similar amount of education and training.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:03 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times
Are kids today more emotionally fragile than years past?

When I was 17, I went from small-town Tennessee to Air Force basic training, never really having been apart from my hometown and family. Admittedly, I was scared, confused, and missing my previous life. But I (and all the others) got through it and went on to our Air Force technical schools and careers. I suppose that's different than college because there's always someone telling you what to do and where to go, so you really don't have to make many decisions on your own.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:16 PM

185 posts, read 184,889 times
How is a college not qualified to provide mental health services to students? Hello? Most of them have a psychology department filled with PhD's in psychology. When you're in college, you can go to a student health clinic for all medical needs. So, this service is available, if any student wishes to access it. Actually, colleges tend to be heavy promoters of mental health services on campus. They do all kinds of campaigns to spread the word about mental health, reaching out to others, and getting help for anything at all.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:25 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Tulane

I would tend to agree with those who say that a student's mental health (or lack thereof) is not the responsibility of the school. Others maintain that colleges have some responsibility in this matter.

The faculty and staff aren't trained mental health professionals (for the most part) nor are they psychic, so I would submit that the weight of this issue falls mainly with the students themselves.
The article discussed at some length the fact that the campus mental health care center was overwhelmed and understaffed. In that respect, there is something the college can do. It can allocate more funding to staffing the center. It could also look at the quality of the counseling staff, to make sure that crisis counseling, mental illness, childhood trauma and abuse issues, depression, etc. are all adequately covered as issues staff are qualified to address.

Saying the students' mental health isn't the responsibility of the school is like saying the students' physical health isn't the school's responsibility. Colleges have student health clinics, because students wouldn't otherwise be covered for health care, and mental health care is part of that. Universities aren't legally responsible for students' mental health, but they provide health care services, and can help. Merely going through the motions of providing care when staffing is inadequate isn't acceptable.

Also, dorm staff are supposed to be trained in crisis intervention, including student staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder;
I disagree. Often, the changes that come with moving out, starting college etc. can trigger somewhat "hidden" mental problems because of the stress that comes with starting a new stage of your life and basically being on your own.
This, plus the fact that some serious mental illnesses, like schizophrenia, often have a late-adolescent onset. Hormonal changes can play a role, as hormones affect psychology. Parents can be legitimately blind-sided. In other cases, the seeming impersonal nature of life on campus and the difficulty in adjusting and making friends in the first year, can cause depression in students, especially those who have never been away from home before. The article said that depression was one of the more common complaints.

Also, with students living away from their parents and having access to counseling arises the opportunity for some to seek out support and help in dealing with the dysfunctional family environment some were raised in. Addressing those issues is important in preventing or resolving depressive tendencies, and setting the student on the path to achieving their best at the university, and in life.

Lastly, universities do have a serious interest in seeing their students complete their education and graduate. College admissions are only the beginning of a process, not the end. Universities have an interest in retention and graduation of students, as well. Universities carefully keep statistics as to how many students graduate vs. how many drop out, as a poor retention rate can reflect badly on the university. So it behooves universities to do what they can to support their students' mental and physical health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates