Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 12:39 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Who doesn't have ID or can't get one? it doesn't make sense to me,

I would think the fraudulent act of someone else using your vote is worse.

I don't understand how they don't ask for ID, do you just show up and tell them a name and they let you vote? Do you need a voting card, which can be given to you by a friend or neighbor or stolen out of you mail box and used.
My family had to deal with this a few years back, concerning my grandmother who had moved from Iowa to live with my parents when she became too old to live by herself.

So, here was the situation. My grandmother had an Iowa DL, but when she moved to TX, in a much busier area, she was scared to drive. So, she never got a TX DL. Eventually, her IA DL expired. When she tried to register to vote, she needed a valid government issued, picture ID. So her SS card was not enough. Her Medicare card was not enough. So, we then tried to get her a TX ID, not a DL. To obtain one of those, you can show a valid DL (the expired IA one doesn't count) or a birth certificate.

Well, in 1993? a big flood happened in IA and all the old birth records were lost from the county registrar. So, she couldn't get a copy of her birth certificate, and it had never been scanned into a computer, she was born in the 20's.

Long story short, my mother tried every way possible to get my grandmother registered to vote, and couldn't, because a government photo ID was required in our county.

So, I think there should be some circumstances where a photo ID should not have to be required, especially when other forms of ID are shown, even if there is no picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 01:36 PM
J24

448 posts, read 863,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
My family had to deal with this a few years back, concerning my grandmother who had moved from Iowa to live with my parents when she became too old to live by herself.

So, here was the situation. My grandmother had an Iowa DL, but when she moved to TX, in a much busier area, she was scared to drive. So, she never got a TX DL. Eventually, her IA DL expired. When she tried to register to vote, she needed a valid government issued, picture ID. So her SS card was not enough. Her Medicare card was not enough. So, we then tried to get her a TX ID, not a DL. To obtain one of those, you can show a valid DL (the expired IA one doesn't count) or a birth certificate.

Well, in 1993? a big flood happened in IA and all the old birth records were lost from the county registrar. So, she couldn't get a copy of her birth certificate, and it had never been scanned into a computer, she was born in the 20's.

Long story short, my mother tried every way possible to get my grandmother registered to vote, and couldn't, because a government photo ID was required in our county.

So, I think there should be some circumstances where a photo ID should not have to be required, especially when other forms of ID are shown, even if there is no picture.
I find it a little hard to believe that if she was willing to pay the fee for a birth certificate, they would just say "sorry, you're SOL, there's nothing we can do for you!" because records were destroyed.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:41 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
I find it a little hard to believe that if she was willing to pay the fee for a birth certificate, they would just say "sorry, you're SOL, there's nothing we can do for you!" because records were destroyed.
I agree. There are other records on file like her marriage certificate or other things, and if she got Social Security they would have records, there are ways to get IDs when you think you hit a brick wall and give up it's your own fault. Contact your state representative, get an affidavit from her doctor or her bank records. Just about everyone has a paper trail a mile long on computer systems. Also an expired drivers license should still be valid because it doesn't mean you are no longer that person, so you can use that to further the case because her precious state would have that info on file.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:01 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
Quote:

I am personally aware of an individual in Texas that was in a similar situation where his birth certificate was destroyed by a fire and had never been recorded with any other jurisdiction. There was nothing to prove he was born except the space he was occupying.

He went to the state capital and provided an affidavit to evidence of his existence and provided his birth details to the best of his knowledge and was provided a replacement Certified Birth Certificate. This was back in the 40's so the regional offices could not take the affidavit and fax it in to the main registrar in those days.

I am sure that there was some method for Iowa to generate a replacement birth certificate without having to travel to the state house in these modern times of instant communication. That your family could not find it is unfortunate, but not evidence that it did not exist or was not possible.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:25 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
So, here was the situation. My grandmother had an Iowa DL, but when she moved to TX, in a much busier area, she was scared to drive. So, she never got a TX DL. Eventually, her IA DL expired.
It was unwise of her to let her only valid govt-issues photo ID expire, especially knowing that he BC had been lost due to natural disaster. Although she didn't want to drive, she should've transferred her DL to TX, or at least used her then-valid Iowa DL to get a Texas state-issued ID card.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:46 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:

This is the situation with my mom too. She had a PA license but is now 83 in an ALF in NJ and has nothing with a picture. I have to take her to DMV to get a non-license picture id, and she doesn't feel well enough to go and sit there and get it done, so we can't get her registered.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is the situation with my mom too. She had a PA license but is now 83 in an ALF in NJ and has nothing with a picture. I have to take her to DMV to get a non-license picture id, and she doesn't feel well enough to go and sit there and get it done, so we can't get her registered.
But she feels well enough to go and vote on election day?

Call and speak to a supervisor there and see if they will make an exception to give you an appointment so you don't have to wait so long at the DMV. Ask the director of the assisted living facility if there are any other avenues you can pursue to get her an ID.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:39 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Who doesn't have ID or can't get one? it doesn't make sense to me,
People who's birth certificate is not easily accessible. This pertains mostly to elderly people of color that are from the South (coincidentally the states most eager to enact these laws).

Quote:
I would think the fraudulent act of someone else using your vote is worse.
In theory yes. In practice, voter fraud is extremely rare. It takes identity theft, kidnapping, or a combination of both. If someone votes in my place and I show up to vote, it's pretty easy to prove a fradulent vote.

Quote:
I don't understand how they don't ask for ID, do you just show up and tell them a name and they let you vote? Do you need a voting card, which can be given to you by a friend or neighbor or stolen out of you mail box and used.
There's this thing called voter registration. Voter registration requires proof of citizenship and residency. Once you are in the system, you merely show up to vote and sign the voter rolls saying you vote. In my state, there is a signature book (you sign when you register). You sign your ballot saying you voted. Again, since you are already in the system they will know immediately if you voted already.

Contrary to this popular belief, a photo ID does nothing to prove identity. Voting requires proof of citizenship and residency, two things that can be proven without a photo. In fact, a driver's license or passport is only valid ID because of the supporting documents (birth certificate, residency, etc.) required to obtain them.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-08-2015 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: Removed icon

Old 04-08-2015, 03:41 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSpell View Post
I see no problem with showing ID to vote..you need ID for everything today...the vote is the most sacred thing we have...just think of Florida a few more votes this way or that...is it asking too much to ask someone to prove they are who they are with ID you need ID to get food stamps, SSI, airline tickets, library card, everything......so why would anyone be against this simple form of ensuring that everyone is who they say they are.........
That is not a valid argument or comparison.

Voting is a right. The burden of proof is on the system when passing voting restrictions. I see a serious issue with mandating a photo ID to vote, because it does nothing to prove identity.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
That is not a valid argument or comparison.

Voting is a right. The burden of proof is on the system when passing voting restrictions. I see a serious issue with mandating a photo ID to vote, because it does nothing to prove identity.
You have it backwards. Photo ID does everything to prove identity. Most states have 6 or more different security features on their cards that can't be duplicated.

Not requiring ID does nothing to prove identity.

Voting is a right, but it is also a privilege. Not everyone in the United States may vote. As a general matter, only those who have reached a certain age, are mentally competent, and are American citizens, are allowed to vote.

Certain convicted criminals, people in jail, illegal aliens and non citizens do not have the right to vote in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates