Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 02:56 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,661,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenorSax83 View Post
You clearly have forgotten about the holocaust in Germany and worldwide. How can you make such a statement without realizing it's a slippery slope.
The Holocaust was very different from allowing people and non-government organizations to discriminate. The government certainly shouldn't be allowed to discriminate.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:12 PM

546 posts, read 408,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Communion Denied to Activists
This is one incident that happened back in 2006. And They did not dispute Mass. They were just asking for communion. It's actually a very heartwarming story about how real Christians behave. I would encourage you to read it maybe you will learn something.
As a non-Catholic, I never liked the awkward feeling of sitting in the pews during communion if I was attending any kind of Catholic service (weddings, funerals, etc.) So part of me applauds the parishioner's empathy.

I know little of the requirements to take communion, but undoubtedly there are a lot of unconfessed sins among the participants of every communion line.

On the other hand, I have a hard time feeling like the gays involved in these protests are actually truly interested in communion. If I were gay, I think I'd have turned Episcopalian or something like it, that is still Christian but gay friendly.

But being neither gay nor Catholic, I'm just shooting from the hip here.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:16 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Why don't you ask yourself if fundamentalists (they are the only religious folks demonizing gays) believe in freedom of religion of others? That is what the issue really is. If you and your ilk would stop expecting anyone else to follow your view of Christianity nobody would be taking aggressive action against it.

I find it hard to believe that you are so incredibly dense that you can't tell the difference between an action and a reaction.
But in this case ( as it was in the case of the bakery they tried to shut down), the gay activists are acting against those at the service because of their religious beliefs, not because the church-goers have acted in any way disciminatory towards gays. Hard to believe you and your ilk condone such action towards others based on how you assume they will act.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:27 PM

698 posts, read 587,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
All discrimination in non-government institutions should be legal. If people want to not serve me because I have Jewish ancestry then so be it. When the government makes people and businesses serve those it doesn't want to it just causes more hate and resentment.
You can't be serious, what if a group of fundamentalist Christians decided to pass laws banning Jews from marrying outside their religion, operating a business or owning property. For religious freedom purposes. Would you be OK with that too?

Old 04-09-2015, 03:31 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
I've always been of the attitude of Live and let live..BUT far too many want to paint with broad brush the FEW means the Whole...OP question is DO Gays believe in freedom Of religion?? Of course They do...My question would be do Christians believe in Civil Liberties for ALL regardless of their Race/Gender/Religion??

Well..It seems some State Governments after over 300 years, feel the need to elevate Christian beliefs ABOVE all others....It's just not computing for myself..BUT, what it does, is validate fears being fanned by rhetorics and baking the whole for what a few demonstrations want to bring exposure to....

This is no difference from Black Lives Matter..or attacks on those kids coming across boarder in Texas..I cannot for the life of me square the 100% blame games going on by fearful segments of American Society..

What I have observed in the past 6 years is an escalation of rhetoric..fear mongering and far too much Blaming up and down from POTUS down to individual's using their first amendment right to demonstrate peacefully ( not to me yelled at nor treated with army equipment/Sniper's in their faces..(actually documented)..as some sort of Aberrant folk....

Gay folks just want to be left alone to live their lives..and NOT have Political sorts telling them they are LESSER's....That's it in a nutshell really

Old 04-09-2015, 03:34 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
All discrimination in non-government institutions should be legal. If people want to not serve me because I have Jewish ancestry then so be it. When the government makes people and businesses serve those it doesn't want to it just causes more hate and resentment.
So if a business doesn't want to serve Jews or blacks or whatever group they choose to discriminate against that fine by you?

Didn't we get past this 50 years ago in Selma when black people wanted the right to sit at white lunch counters and sit wherever they wanted to on a bus?

Old 04-09-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
You can't be serious, what if a group of fundamentalist Christians decided to pass laws banning Jews from marrying outside their religion, operating a business or owning property. For religious freedom purposes. Would you be OK with that too?
That is the government discriminating, which I have explained a couple of times I am not okay with. I couldn't care less if a Christian priest didn't want to conduct a Jewish marriage ceremony.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
So if a business doesn't want to serve Jews or blacks or whatever group they choose to discriminate against that fine by you?

Didn't we get past this 50 years ago in Selma when black people wanted the right to sit at white lunch counters and sit wherever they wanted to on a bus?
Yes, that is fine by me. As long as the bus wasn't paid for by government funds/taxes as public transportation I would have no problem with that. The government legally discriminates against people all the time, affirmative action for example, which I have a much bigger problem with, the government should be completely blind to race, sex, orientation etc..

Old 04-09-2015, 03:38 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
apples to oranges

When you post about abhorrent acts by straight people, there will not be many straight people condoning it.

When I post about gay people committing abhorrent acts, gay people condone those acts.

Why is that ?

That is why I state the repulsive actions by gay protestors is very similar to the repulsive actions of the Westboro group.

They, also, have no qualms about interrupting a religious service .
You should come to the 2015 "Big Gay Meeting" and ask us all. I'm pretty sure you'll find that we don't really care what you do in your church and don't condone bothering any church services where people are living the heterosexual lifestyle.

This year, we're going to be voting on the next prong in the Gay Agenda, how to outlaw all opposite sex marriage. Just be prepared

Old 04-09-2015, 03:39 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Your religious rights END when it invades the religious, or non religious, rights of other people. This includes other people's CIVIL RIGHTS.

You come knocking at my door pushing your religion, I have every right to slam my door in your face. Your religious rights are not carte blanche.
And so would you believe you have the right to storm into a church to disrupt religious services because you think the beliefs of the participants are in conflict with yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates