Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:47 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
OY, you have reversed the cause and the effect.

As the number of children in a household increases, the amount of income required to support the household also increases. Thus, for a given income level, a household with more children will enjoy a lower standard of living than a household with the same income level but fewer children.
No, I did not. Your premise is simply absurd.

The number of children is not indicative of a standard of living. It's a fact that people of means raise more stable families, thus have less children. They are better equipped with sex education and growing up in nurturing families. People don't just have children for the hell of it.

Also, as income levels rise, women are more likely to not have children at all. Poorer women don't write of childbearing for careers.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-13-2015 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Removed icon

Old 04-13-2015, 11:51 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
OY, you have reversed the cause and the effect.

As the number of children in a household increases, the amount of income required to support the household also increases. Thus, for a given income level, a household with more children will enjoy a lower standard of living than a household with the same income level but fewer children.
No, she has it right, but there's an intermediate cause. Educated women have fewer and later children, educated women tend to have better paying jobs and delaying childbearing leads to higher income, so richer people tend to have fewer and later children. This is true all over the world, in all countries and ethnicities - if you give women the knowledge and ability to delay and decrease their babies, they will choose to do it. In the US minorities generally face greater barriers to education and so are generally poorer and have more babies younger.

There are a lot of data out there on this, there's no need to guess. Pretty much everything about childbearing and child health is correlated to mother's educational level.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:52 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,143,879 times
This is just your observation, but it is skewed for what ever reason (your area, your experiences, what you see on television etc.)

Asians: America's Fastest Growing Minority | Newgeography.com

According to this data the largest growing minority population are actually Asians.

P.S there are poor people in every race btw.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:24 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I've seen many middle and upper middle income white families with at least three children. Some people just like larger families, and really what does it matter? As long as the kids are fed, clothed, and cared for by the parents, it really doesn't matter.

Last edited by riaelise; 04-13-2015 at 01:01 PM..

Old 04-13-2015, 01:00 PM

67 posts, read 88,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I've seen many middle and upper middle income white families with at least three children. Some people just like larger families, and really what does it matter? As long as they kids are fed, clothed, and cared for by the parents, it really doesn't matter.
No one is arguing having a lot of children if the parents are the one's footing the bill.This thread is about those who have many children but are subsidized by our tax dollars to care for these children.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:12 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA1 View Post
No one is arguing having a lot of children if the parents are the one's footing the bill.This thread is about those who have many children but are subsidized by our tax dollars to care for these children.
Give me a break. You make it sound like most, if not all, Blacks and Hispanics are largely improverished. How do you know that the Black family that has three kids isn't self-supporting? or the hispanic family of six doesn't have a working father and mother? The buyers of our former home were a Mexican family of six and the father is a Marine. Most of the Black families in my former neighborhood had at most two kids. If anything, the Black birth rate isn't particularly high. As for Hispanics/Latinos, as a part Latina, I can say that family is VERY important -- courtesy of culture and religion. It's no different than the Irish and Italians. family is way more important than material wealth, and really what's wrong with that? I'm very pro-family, and I'd take my family any day over money.

You just assume that because someone is brown, they are poor, stereotypical welfare queens, and therefore they are being subsidized by you. My brown butt pays taxes...a lot of taxes....and our two kids aren't enough to lower our liability. Maybe I need to do what you'd expect me to do and have lots of kids so that we can not owe year after year.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:19 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA1 View Post
You realise the direct subsidy only phases out at well over $100,000 a year, don't you. And even above that they receive subsidies through indirect means such as mortgage interest deductions, dependent deductions, free schooling, subsidised university education etc.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:40 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,502 times
In simple words: lack of education

You might want to read:
Promises I Can Keep: Why Poor Women Put Motherhood before Marriage by Kathryn Edin and Maria J. Kefalas

Old 04-13-2015, 09:33 PM

192 posts, read 249,545 times
Honestly, I've wondered the same thing but mostly from the perspective of rich vs. poor. The people who have the time and means to take care of large families tend to have smaller ones. It's strange, and I don't think it depends on whether someone is black, white, or Hispanic. Across the board, I think poorer people have larger families.

With that said, it's probably true that some cultures value bigger families than others. I'm black (African-American), and my parents don't care if I have kids or not. However, I know some people from African, Hispanic, and some Asian backgrounds whose parents would look at them oddly if they didn't have kids or only had one.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:08 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
No, she has it right, but there's an intermediate cause. Educated women have fewer and later children, educated women tend to have better paying jobs and delaying childbearing leads to higher income, so richer people tend to have fewer and later children. This is true all over the world, in all countries and ethnicities - if you give women the knowledge and ability to delay and decrease their babies, they will choose to do it. In the US minorities generally face greater barriers to education and so are generally poorer and have more babies younger.

There are a lot of data out there on this, there's no need to guess. Pretty much everything about childbearing and child health is correlated to mother's educational level.
^This.

Except that the real barrier to education isn't being a minority but being born poor.

Private schools show same results as public schools - UQ News - The University of Queensland, Australia

But just to reiterate:

Education↑ Birth Rate↓

Religion↓ Birth Rate↓
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates