Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 06:48 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA1 View Post
I do not get it. Whites and Asians are the highest educated and make more money than Blacks and Hispanics and yet it is the poor minorities who have a a bunch of babies. Whites and Asians should realistically be having the most babies since they are better equipped at caring for their children economically. Have we created a system that encourages and rewards minorities to have many babies? If we stopped paying the hospital bills of those who can't afford children without government help would that help lower their birth rates? It really makes no sense why our tax dollars have to fund those who should not be having children and it really makes me angry. The media is constantly talking about the "browning" of America but in the end we are subsidizing it?
Your whole argument is racist and an outright distortion. Why are you assuming every single Latino and black person is poor and on welfare? People who have a lot of kids are usually well off people who can afford it. Poorer people have smaller families or put off having kids. Also, birth rates are virtually the same across races. Younger populations are becoming increasingly non-white because of immigration, not high birth rates. Whites have a fertility rate of 1.8, blacks have 2.1 and Latinos have 2.4, virtually the same.
http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2012/...-white-births/

Having Obama in office is likely bringing the fertility gap even closer as he's done a great deal to provide better access to family planning. I think if a Republican gets into the White House, Americans will be subsidizing quite a few more kids.

Last edited by CoolZombie; 04-17-2015 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: forgot link

Old 04-17-2015, 07:05 PM

195 posts, read 177,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa
Again, to repeat, I tie it to recreation. For black men sex is recreation since they don't help with the kids. The women may not have the physical strength to resist a hormone-fueled, 6'3" 16 year old.
I get it. The women have nothing but good intentions, they're actually trying to start families within marriage and all that good stuff. This should be obvious to most when you consider how they dress, talk and behave.

The men? Well, they're just recreational rapists.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:12 PM

42,847 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I'm sure it varies, but I think the following are concerning.

On single-mother households:
"The percentage of children living with their mother without a father present varied widely among race and origin groups in 2009, from 8 percent for Asian children to 50 percent for black children. Seventeen percent of non-Hispanic white children and 26 percent of Hispanic children also lived with their mother only" Census Bureau Reports 64 Percent Increase in Number of Children Living with a Grandparent Over Last Two Decades - Children - Newsroom - U.S. Census Bureau

On births outside of wedlock:
"The black community's 72 percent rate eclipses that of most other groups: 17 percent of Asians, 29 percent of whites, 53 percent of Hispanics and 66 percent of Native Americans were born to unwed mothers in 2008, the most recent year for which government figures are available. The rate for the overall U.S. population was 41 percent." Blacks struggle with 72 percent unwed mothers rate - Health - Women's health | NBC News

Personally, I don't care as much about the marriage stats as much as I do the broader sociological and psychological effects of such abundance in non-asian single-mother households.
Ok, but how does that give any credence to this claim of yours: "majority of black men have many baby mommas"

What do you have say about the fact that Native American's are very close to Blacks in out of wedlock birth rate, that makes it pretty clear that it's not just a 'black thing'. What both groups have in common is a very high poverty rate and high unemployment rate. (by the way, I think your data was from 2010 and the % dropped a fair amount in 2012

I just don't think you can make it a racial issue, it is far more complex and nuanced than that.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:45 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
wow..what a generalization that is. One of my best friends is an older black man who not only raised his own two children but went on to mentor black boys from fatherless homes and after retiring became a school teacher in an inner city junior high in order to provide black teens with a role model.

Shame on you for your racist BS. Seeing all the young white baby mamas it seems like sex as recreation is not just a black thang
Are you saying that doesn't happen fairly often? Or are you on a politically correct binge to feel good?

Old 04-17-2015, 08:48 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Are you saying that doesn't happen fairly often? Or are you on a politically correct binge to feel good?
Well, singling out Black men, saying only for them that sex was a recreational activity, sounds like a broad generalization. No mention or distinction between hood rat Blacks and normal Blacks. Just Blacks across the board.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
wow..what a generalization that is. One of my best friends is an older black man who not only raised his own two children but went on to mentor black boys from fatherless homes and after retiring became a school teacher in an inner city junior high in order to provide black teens with a role model.

Shame on you for your racist BS. Seeing all the young white baby mamas it seems like sex as recreation is not just a black thang
Read a book called The Other Wes Moore (link to Goodreads discussion). The author of the book, Wes Moore, became a Rhodes scholar. His namesake fathered a bunch of children as a teen and is now serving a life sentence for murder. Sadly, his situation is probably common. It is not "racism" to point that out.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:20 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Read a book called The Other Wes Moore (link to Goodreads discussion). The author of the book, Wes Moore, became a Rhodes scholar. His namesake fathered a bunch of children as a teen and is now serving a life sentence for murder. Sadly, his situation is probably common. It is not "racism" to point that out.
Actually, claiming that the majority of Black men do this is racism if you cannot produce a statistic that says that the majority of Black men do that. Not "72 percent of Black children are born out of wedlock" or "50 percent of Black children are raised without their fathers". Prove that the majority of Black men father children and walk off. And how many Black men did what the father of that Rhodes scholar did?

Old 04-17-2015, 09:37 PM

42,847 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
saying that what happens? that black men have 'recreational' sex, or that they don't take care of kids? I'm sorry but that is so laughable that it doesn't even deserve an answer

Old 04-17-2015, 09:44 PM

3,324 posts, read 2,136,040 times
Quote:
Ok, but how does that give any credence to this claim of yours: "majority of black men have many baby mommas"

What do you have say about the fact that Native American's are very close to Blacks in out of wedlock birth rate, that makes it pretty clear that it's not just a 'black thing'. What both groups have in common is a very high poverty rate and high unemployment rate. (by the way, I think your data was from 2010 and the % dropped a fair amount in 2012

I just don't think you can make it a racial issue, it is far more complex and nuanced than that.
You're attributing a claim to me that somebody else made in the thread. I was simply chiming in about a legitimate, related concern that seems to impact all non-asians.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And how many Black men did what the father of that Rhodes scholar did?
You mean die suddenly and tragically of a disease?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates