Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 12:22 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,436,809 times

Advertisements

African American is at least slightly more accurate than Caucasian. My ancestors are not from the Caucasus nor is my language from the Caucasus.

My black friends told me I'm allowed to say "black", so I do unless someone informs me they would prefer otherwise. My very good friend - who is black - and I decided together that we liked the term "people of color" so we use that. As for me, I'm white - not Caucasian, not European American, just white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 01:04 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,945,840 times
If you were an Australian of African descent, they wouldn't even consider you an "Australian". You would have it worse here.

In Australia, if you are say, Chinese, Greek, Italian or Arab, you'd be just known by these nationalities. You'd rarely hear "Greek Australian" - Instead you'd hear "oh, he's a Greek". Our Irish and British Australians are the only ethnicities known as just "Australians" (like, as if "Australian" is an ethnicity).

In America, when there are racial wars between blacks or Mexicans and whites. You'd hear something like "African Americans vs White Americans". In Australia, it's more like "Australians vs [insert ethnicity, who also happen to be Australian citizens]". The ethnicity classifications in here is rather absurd.

Consider yourself lucky to AT LEAST have "American" somewhere in your title.

Last edited by Ethereal; 04-15-2015 at 01:14 AM..

Old 04-15-2015, 01:19 AM

722 posts, read 1,327,943 times
back in the 1970's when a tv series called "ROOTS" was a popular show about Africans brought to the USA as slaves

lots of black Americans named their new born son "Kunta Kinte" an African name of one of the actors in the show.

also many black Americans started wearing a popular African style shirt called a "dashiki"

there are some black Americans that have pride of their African roots and like to identify with African heritage.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:18 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,497,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
If you were an Australian of African descent, they wouldn't even consider you an "Australian". You would have it worse here.

In Australia, if you are say, Chinese, Greek, Italian or Arab, you'd be just known by these nationalities. You'd rarely hear "Greek Australian" - Instead you'd hear "oh, he's a Greek"
. Our Irish and British Australians are the only ethnicities known as just "Australians" (like, as if "Australian" is an ethnicity).

In America, when there are racial wars between blacks or Mexicans and whites. You'd hear something like "African Americans vs White Americans". In Australia, it's more like "Australians vs [insert ethnicity, who also happen to be Australian citizens]". The ethnicity classifications in here is rather absurd.

Consider yourself lucky to AT LEAST have "American" somewhere in your title.
Maybe that is because the majority of these people were actually born in China and Greece etc (or at least have parents who were), and also speak Greek or mandarin etc etc?

My wife is Korean, (she was born raised and Educated in Seoul), while our daughter is a dual citizen and we are teaching her both languages, are you saying she is in no way Korean?

The large majority of "African Americans" however get the 'African" part of their heritage from people who arrived at least 100 years ago, in most cases it's longer.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 04-15-2015 at 05:42 AM..

Old 04-15-2015, 04:47 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I can only tell you what has worked for me -- not caring one smidge about skin color. It's as important as eye color or hair color. There are so many better ways to describe people than by skin color. "The guy with dreadlocks" is a much more accurate description than, "that black guy over there." I always manage to find something better when describing others. "The tall dude with the Ramones t-shirt."
While that's a great idea, it completely sidesteps 6's point about the ever-changing standard of political correctness.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:58 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
We call you that because we aren't sure what you want us to call you. I shudder when I hear someone say "colored", and "negro" seems offensive to blacks these days. Honestly, I thought the term "African American" was one your people came up with and showed your heritage and was a term of respect.

It is just like women these days. If I call a lady " Maam" she will tell me "I am not that old !" If I call her "Miss" she tells me "I am not a girl any more !"

As much as you may not like the terms "black" or "African American" they are used by your own leaders and everyday folks. We are just trying to be respectful.

Don

Old 04-15-2015, 06:44 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
Personally, I feel that all of the Africans who came to the US in the 1880's have descendents who have been here for so many generations that they are as much plain ole Americans as any of the descendents of Europeans who preceded them. I have absolutely zero need for a separate term. They are Americans. Period.

And as anyone who can attest to having lived and worked amongst other immigrant cultures, by the third generation (and often the second), the 'new' arrivals are so totally Americanized that their behavior fits right in with the broad spectrum of the rest of us. They are simply Americans. Even first generation immigrants, not born here, should be welcomed as "Americans" once they renounce their old citizenship, speak reasonable English, and become US citizens.

The only places the ______-American term should be used IMHO is when the immigrants set up little miniature enclaves within the US and avoid integration, probably due to their insecurity of being in a new country. And that is not going to last for long, since their kids are going to get out of there as fast as they can.

All that being said, I respect that people are intrigued by their ancestery and their 'roots'. If so, go ahead and separate yourselves as Irish-American, Samoan-American, Asian-American. But do so only with other like minded people with whom you share your ancestery. Don't expect the rest of the world to care--it is a personal choice and if it makes you proud, so be it.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:16 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,344,252 times
I know how you feel !
I was born in America but if I call myself a Native American, people tell me that I'm not an Indian.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:36 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,945,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Maybe that is because the majority of these people were actually born in China and Greece etc (or at least have parents who were), and also speak Greek or mandarin etc etc?

My wife is Korean, (she was born raised and Educated in Seoul), while our daughter is a dual citizen and we are teaching her both languages, are you saying she is in no way Korean?

The large majority of "African Americans" however get the 'African" part of their heritage from people who arrived at least 100 years ago, in most cases it's longer.
Not everyone you'd meet would tell you what country they were born in. People would usually say what their ethnicity is first. Their country of birth is always trivial, not unless if they have an "accent", thus inducing the question, "oh, where are you from?".

Your daughter is a Korean Australian, just like how Tony Abbot is a Welsh Australian. Just because Abott is an Anglo-Australian doesn't mean that he would get a free ticket to be called just "Australian" (like as if it's a special ethnicity only for Anglo-Aussies).

Just wondering, is your daughter known as "half Korean, half Australian"...?

Old 04-15-2015, 07:56 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,231,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We call you that because we aren't sure what you want us to call you. I shudder when I hear someone say "colored", and "negro" seems offensive to blacks these days. Honestly, I thought the term "African American" was one your people came up with and showed your heritage and was a term of respect.

It is just like women these days. If I call a lady " Maam" she will tell me "I am not that old !" If I call her "Miss" she tells me "I am not a girl any more !"

As much as you may not like the terms "black" or "African American" they are used by your own leaders and everyday folks. We are just trying to be respectful.

Don
Trust me, I believe that and respect you for trying your best to be polite. I just wish that every American could refer to themselves as American. Here in college, I have friends from across the color spectrum. My best friend, a girl who I basically consider my sister, is white. When I look at her and my other friends, I don't see white, black, Asian, or Hispanic; I see fellow Americans interacting with each other without regard to skin color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates